Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've been so sick, I haven't been able to take the dogs out for their daily walk. Little C won't poo inside and today, she actually went to the door and requested to go out again. (I took her to the park across the street for a quick run around this morning.) So, I took her out, and she made her poo and all that. I brought her back in and put her in the sink to wash her feet. I was reaching for the towel when I started up a huge coughing fit and I automatically turned away from her because I try not to cough in my dogs' faces.

Well, I guess that the loud noise scared her or something, because she jumped out of the sink and landed on the tiled bathroom floor!!!!! I didn't see her jump..I turned my head back and she wasn't in the sink and I looked down and there she, like a little splat. I carefully touched her all over before picking her up, but she didn't make a sound. I picked her up and RAN to the vet's office. However, he was busy with a dog that had just gotten hit by a car. There was blood everywhere and the poor dog was in absolute pain--I couldn't very well ask the vet to hurry and look at Little C. So, we waited for an eternity (at least) until he could see her. Once he found out why I brought her in, he got this intensely worried look on his face that really frightened me.

He checked her all over--checked her breathing, her heart rate and examined every inch of her. Luckily, she is FINE! She was still really stressed out and scared and shaky, but other than that, she is FINE! I can't believe I was this lucky--I can't believe that she wasn't hurt at all. That is a LONG drop for such a little dog and considering her history with her knees and all, all I can say is WOW! I've aged about 50 years and have probably set back my health a great deal (still coughing like mad), but, she is fine. *whew*

And I'm never putting her in the sink ever, ever again! Any time she is getting a bath or a foot bath, it will be done directly on the bathroom floor.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
WOW,how scared you must have been.You are not a BAD Mommy,seems like no matter how carefull we are these little ones will always suprise us.Glad
she is fine,but what a scare!Phewww(wipeing the sweat off of forhead)
Hope you feel better very soon.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Don't beat yourself up. Everything turned out OK and you learned that C will jump, so you'll make adjustments for next time. Glad things are OK. Hope your cough gets better!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 15 2005, 09:49 AM-->
I'm glad to hear she is ok!

<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Apr 15 2005, 09:46 AM
Don't beat yourself up.  Everything turned out OK and you learned that C will jump, so you'll make adjustments for next time.  Glad things are OK.  Hope your cough gets better!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52892
I agree!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52893
[/B][/QUOTE]
I agree too

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I am so glad all is well
You can relax now, I know you had a bad scare but you are not a bad Mommy, they can move so fast and sometimes no matter what you do, they find a way

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Don't feel so badly.....many of us have had similar incidents. It reminds me of the time my husband called me into his office. I walked in and stood next to his chair, assuming he wanted to show me something on his computer screen. (which is the usual request). Without looking at me or saying a word, he thrust Pico at me and then dropped him! He just assumed I knew he was going to do that and yelled at me for having something in my hands and not being prepared to take Pico!

Well, we yelled at each other for a few seconds until I "came to" and realized Pico was on the floor...............fortunately it wasn't that far since my husband was sitting down andhe fell onto carpet, but still! He was just fine but it was a real wake up call for both my husband and I.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awwww. Dont feel too bad. It's hard to control yourself when you're coughing like so.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Whew! Glad Little C is ok!
Remind her that although she LOOKS like an Angel, she really has NO wings.

Hope your cough gets better...that is very aggravating.
Kisses to both your babies...extra ones to Little C.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Poor you - I dropped Audrey in the first two weeks we had her. One minute she was in my arms, the next she had twisted and was gone. I grabbed for her, but it was too late. I am not sure who was more traumatized, me or her. She got wrapped in her baby blanket and had cuddles on the sofa with treats.
When she has had a scare she always digs herself into the crook of my neck until she feels better. Who knew I would love being a Mother this much!

My heart just stopped though, so I understand how you must have felt! A couple of minutes later she was up and bouncing around again. What a relief!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I totally know how you feel, when Josie was a baby (still is) she was in my arms and I was carrying her outside and she jumped out of my arms and landed on the driveway and she was limp and not breathing well, her heart was still beating but I had to give her mouth to mouth to get her breathing again. The vet said she had knocked the wind out of herself I was crying hysterically and telling my husband I thought she was dead it was awful, but all was well she and I are like one now because of this and she had no permanent damage thank goodness. I am still not sure if I didn't have some permanent damage, I felt so guilty
she is my little princess as a result of this ....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Maybe they should make a show called ER for pets or something, can you imagine a day in the life of that vet?

Not to take away from your pain NC's mom! I can only imagine how scary all that was. Where was Sir N in the process? My husband and I keep talking about how these little ones have "no fear"! Do they actually develop that at some point? In other words, if you were ever to put little C in the sink again, would she "remember" that jumping out is a bad idea?

You really shouldn't beat yourself up about this. I used to work in day care and parents of skin kids would come in racked with guilt because they turned their heads "just for a minute" while their toddler climbed the bookcase and fell down, ran out into the street nearly missing getting hit, or other kinds of terrible things that thanks to luck/guardian angels or whatever you believe in avoided a major tragedy.

You did the responsible thing by immediately getting Little C the help she needed. Now for the cuddles. And hope that cough is over soon!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Glad everything work out for both of you! You are actually a very good mommy for rushing to the vet to have everything checked out. Hope your cough is better!!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I happen to think you are a great mommy to little C. You didn't take any chance to observe over time, but you rushed C to the Vet immediately. applause---

I'm happy to hear that little C is ok. Now go have some cuddle time with little C to regain that 50 years you aged

1 - 20 of 20 Posts