Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was really fun!! My aunt has shown dobies for about 30 years so she met me there and kind of showed me the ropes. All the dogs were beautiful, I met a really nice woman showing some chinese cresteds, interesting little dogs. Most of the people that I talked to there were extremely nice. Vickie Abbott was the toy breed judge today, it was really neat to see her in person instead of on a book cover. I couldn't stay to watch the maltese being shown, but I did go over by them so I could see them. Beautiful dogs, really nice people. And then...I ran into HER.

She is on the AMA breeder's list, I have heard of her before, she is also a handler. My aunt and my aunt's friend wanted me to meet her and talk to her in case I was interested in showing a maltese because she is about half an hour from where I live. I have never met a more rude, arrogant and condescending person in my life! One innocent question and suddenly the woman turned into a she-devil!! She had horrible things to say about Tonia Holibaugh, was basically badmouthing everything about Tonia to the point of wrinkling her nose and saying the name "TAHNHEEHA" snidely at every opportunity (I didn't bring up Tonia's name, SHE did completely out of the blue). Apparently she is too good for anyone to even talk to, she is a 2nd generation breeder/handler and she doesn't sell her dogs (wasn't looking to buy one so I don't know what her problem was!)...but she had no problem rudely insulting the lady who had a maltese 2 tables down in full earshot..."SHE might have a dog for you, but she doesn't have a clue what she's doing, she's only been showing for 6 or 7 years, maybe you should go talk to her". Now please note during this whole conversation I am standing there in shock saying absolutely nothing and wondering if I am really hearing what I am hearing. Even my aunt's friend was taken aback by some of the things she was saying...and she shows dogs and runs conformation classes! I'm not going to get into all the details, but it definitely was an eye opener. I knew that the dog world had its own political agenda, but for someone to be spouting off like she was, and to a complete stranger no less, was something I did not expect. I walked away and laughed it off....I'm sure I'm not the first person she did that to, and I'm positive I won't be the last!!

Other than the incident above, the show was tons of fun. It really makes you appreciate all the hard work it takes to get a dog ready for the show ring. I was able to watch someone put in topknots, it makes a lot more sense when you're actually watching someone do it. Now I just have to wait for Pippin's hair to grow so I can try it!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Was this Vicki Abbott who was so rude, or was it someone else? I guess her mother never taught her "if you can't say something nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't Vicki Abott, she was very nice. It was one of the breeders/handlers that was so mean...I will make sure to avoid her altogether at any of the shows that I go to from now on. And the scary thing is, before I got Pippin she was one of the breeders that I called. I guess you live and learn.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I think that is really sad. I know from Sadie and Sassy's breeder that the dog show circuit is very political. I have no interest in breeding or showing, but if I did I would like to think that someone would be willing to mentor me and help me. Luckily for the one who think that they should own the market, there are others who are nice and helpful and want to further their breed by getting people involved. The lady that I got my Bichon from sounds like your lady. She was a good breeder but don't think she had much use for newbies to bichon breeding.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a two day show at the Lake County Fairgrounds....the next dog show I know of is in February, it's the huge show downtown at McCormick Place. I'm not sure the date but I'll let you know, it's Friday thru Sunday but all the dogs are benched on Saturday so if you want to look at all the dogs they will be out for viewing. There is also supposed to be TONS of shopping at this show...I hope my credit card doesn't melt. I'm definitely going on Saturday, but I will be sure to avoid the "dragon lady" at all costs!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep....that's who I was referring to in my post, the one from Lake County. Sometimes I really wonder why some of these breeders want to be listed on the AMA list if they have no interest in talking to people about their dogs. Maybe it's a prestige thing, who knows. I have a lot of opinions on stuff too...but I don't get nasty to people just for asking me a question.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
That seems to be the case everywhere...I called the names on our list (including a very prominent breeder) and except for a few, most either didn't call back or were snotty on the phone. I have to say that the hot shot breeder was nice, but not too helpful. They basically said that their waiting list was very long, and I would go to the bottom. They were helpful in confirming information about other breeders. It only takes a few bad apples....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Jan 31 2005, 12:03 PM
With attitudes like that, people wonder why people go to pet stores or puppymills to get a dog!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32528
[/QUOTE]
That is a very good point. If these breeders make it difficult for people to buy from them they just might go elsewhere (pet store, etc.).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
once i had this werid experience, i was shopping around calling breeders before i got Jongee, i probably left a message on one breeder's answering machine or something that i dont really remember coz i called several breeders at that time

then once when jongee was about 9 months old, i got a phone call at 10-11-ish PM , my caller ID says NO NUMBER so i thought it was my dad from korea since he calls me really late coz of the time difference and his number doesnt appear since its an international call,
but its this werid lady shouting in my ear saying ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A MALTESE???? !!!!

im like who is this??
and she keeps screaming R U LOOKING FOR A MALTESE?? I HAVE A MALTESE AVAILABLE !!
that was really creepy AND EXTREMELY RUDE !! and it was like 11 oclock at night !! she didnt even apologize calling me late, or she didnt even introduce herself when i answered my phone, she just screamed at me saying that she has a maltese to sell, she could have said who she was blah blah but she didnt

so i just said i already got one polietly and she just said ok and hungup

i didnt even get her name so i dont know who she was but that was werid..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tonia Holibaugh is one of the most sucessful Toy handlers in the ring today. She did not get to the level that she is at because she was "born" in dogs or by riding on her mothers coat tails. She got there because of hard work and her dedication to the sport of DOGS primarily Maltese. She doesn't get wins because she is so and so's daughter or because she is a "friend" of the judge or because her Mother made a phone call
to the judge letting them know her daughter would be showing to them....she wins because she does her homework and presents nice dogs.

I am tired of remarks like this from people that have been in dogs long enough to know better that show up at ringside with their dogs looking awful because they don't have to try to win because they KNOW they are winning before they even get to the show.

All dog shows, show people and handlers are NOT like this....

Angela Stanberry of Divine Maltese and I know who PippensMom is talking about.......

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Jan 31 2005, 12:03 PM
With attitudes like that, people wonder why people go to pet stores or puppymills to get a dog!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32528
That is a very good point. If these breeders make it difficult for people to buy from them they just might go elsewhere (pet store, etc.).
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think this is a very true statement. I have been calling a list of breeders that I got from the American Kennel Club & almost half of them were so rude & snotty. They certainly don't like the questions you ask them but how else are you to find out about their pups!
It has made me quite gun shy of contacting any other breeders, that's for sure! Last week when I was at our local pet store, they had an adorable little yorkie - If it had been a maltese, I think I would have been so tempted if it wasn't for the fact that I want to know more about my pup's background.

Just a quick question to those of you that may know - Is it proper to ask to see the pedigree of the sire & dam of the puppy? Is it something they are able to share? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a quick question to those of you that may know - Is it proper to ask to see the pedigree of the sire & dam of the puppy? Is it something they are able to share? Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

My breeder was proud of her Dam and Sire, pictures were on her website of both parents when we bought him.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Last week when I was at our local pet store, they had an adorable little yorkie - If it had been a maltese, I think I would have been so tempted if it wasn't for the fact that I want to know more about my pup's background.[/B]
I'm glad you didn't buy the pet store puppy. His/her background would be that she/he came from a puppymill. Many people who have bought pet store puppies have found them to be sick with kennel cough, coccidia and other illnesses. They are taken away from their moms and siblings way to early and may have behavorial problems, besides the fact that the poor little things were probably traumatized being loaded in to a truck and driven for many miles across the country to a pet store... the whole scenario just totally breaks my heart.

Many of us on here have vowed never to go in to a pet supplies store that sells puppies because the puppies are very, very hard to resist... especially if you hold them and they snuggle at your neck... you're a goner for sure. And every puppy we buy just makes room for one more...

It's hard to believe that in a supposedly civilized country such as the U.S. with strong lobbying groups such as ASPCA, HSUS, PETA, etc. that puppies are allowed to be treated so poorly...

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I am glad that you got to attend the show, but it saddens me that you had to encounter one of the breeders from heck. I am not sure why some people think they have a monopoly on information about any certain breed of dog. I feel sorry for their little dogs.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
It was really fun!! My aunt has shown dobies for about 30 years so she met me there and kind of showed me the ropes. All the dogs were beautiful, I met a really nice woman showing some chinese cresteds, interesting little dogs. Most of the people that I talked to there were extremely nice. Vickie Abbott was the toy breed judge today, it was really neat to see her in person instead of on a book cover. I couldn't stay to watch the maltese being shown, but I did go over by them so I could see them. Beautiful dogs, really nice people. And then...I ran into HER.

She is on the AMA breeder's list, I have heard of her before, she is also a handler. My aunt and my aunt's friend wanted me to meet her and talk to her in case I was interested in showing a maltese because she is about half an hour from where I live. I have never met a more rude, arrogant and condescending person in my life! One innocent question and suddenly the woman turned into a she-devil!! She had horrible things to say about Tonia Holibaugh, was basically badmouthing everything about Tonia to the point of wrinkling her nose and saying the name "TAHNHEEHA" snidely at every opportunity (I didn't bring up Tonia's name, SHE did completely out of the blue). Apparently she is too good for anyone to even talk to, she is a 2nd generation breeder/handler and she doesn't sell her dogs (wasn't looking to buy one so I don't know what her problem was!)...but she had no problem rudely insulting the lady who had a maltese 2 tables down in full earshot..."SHE might have a dog for you, but she doesn't have a clue what she's doing, she's only been showing for 6 or 7 years, maybe you should go talk to her". Now please note during this whole conversation I am standing there in shock saying absolutely nothing and wondering if I am really hearing what I am hearing. Even my aunt's friend was taken aback by some of the things she was saying...and she shows dogs and runs conformation classes! I'm not going to get into all the details, but it definitely was an eye opener. I knew that the dog world had its own political agenda, but for someone to be spouting off like she was, and to a complete stranger no less, was something I did not expect. I walked away and laughed it off....I'm sure I'm not the first person she did that to, and I'm positive I won't be the last!!

Other than the incident above, the show was tons of fun. It really makes you appreciate all the hard work it takes to get a dog ready for the show ring. I was able to watch someone put in topknots, it makes a lot more sense when you're actually watching someone do it. Now I just have to wait for Pippin's hair to grow so I can try it!
[/B]
It was interesting to see this old post brought back up by a new member. It's over a year old.
Boy, Dianne, you have really come a long way in that short time. I really admire you because you have a finished Havanese champion who is getting some ring experience as a special, and you have two young females who are starting. You now spend long hours grooming and studying pedigrees, and have learned that your free time has "gone to the dogs". Ain't it fun

1 - 20 of 26 Posts