Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the vet today to pick up Bella's medicine and while I was watiing, two dogs owned by different people started barking at each other. One dog was quielty and sweetly reassured by his owner and he quit barking. The other dog was hit by his owner because the owner thought he needed to "settle down". I was so mad... I mean its a dog, dogs bark! I don't know how she justified hitting her dog, he was just greeting the other dog, and they were both on leahses, so no harm could have come of them barking at each other. I am starting to think that some people just shouldn't have pets and I don't know why they can't realize that about themselves. It was so sad. To make matters worse, when I got home Bellas medicine (it was liquid in a syringe) shot out all over the counter and I had to go back and get more and that witch was still there. Anyway, I knew everyone here would understand my frustration, and I needed to get that off my chest. I should have kidnapped that poor dog.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I was at an Antique market one Saturday, many people bring their pets on leashes. There was a couple of "gentlemen" with a big beautiful, well mannered dog, I don't know what the dog did, but he let out a "YELP" when his owner slapped him on the snout. I squealed in shock, and the fella said, "Good grief LADY, it was only a tap, it didn't hurt him!"

Grrrrrrr!!! "Gee fella, that didn't hurt your head did it, it was only a BASEBALL BAT!"

Just kidding.....I'm not in to violence...........

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
It makes me sick when people are mean to animals... I can't bear it. But just think of all the sickos out there who hurt children that we hear about in the news. People who shake babies, burn them... so there must be many more who hurt animals....

·
Registered
571 Posts
I actually had a guy tell me that it didn't hurt his dashhound when he kicked if for following him after he had told it to stay home. Mind you it was a known fact that he was a wife and child beater.
. I talked to his wife after he had left and she told me that she was leaving and taking her kids but couldn't take the poor little dog. It was strange how by the next day the little guy was missing and the SPCA had a new little guest with a discription of the former owner . He was adopted into a nice family who had put in a request for that type of dog. He was not in the kennel for more then 1/2 day and to the best of my knowledge led a very happy life in his forever home. By the way I also knew the people who adopted him and they treated him like a king
(the rumor also went around that the guy that did it spent some time in a cage too for trying to beat up a police officer) So at least that is one story with a happy ending. :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
wow. sounds like another candidate for manditory sterilization. i wish i could hand out cards to people who fit that category...

i called the SPCA on a neighbor once. he was probably early 20s, the dog was an american eskimo that had the worst case of submissive peeing EVER. he so adored his owner, wagged his tail when he saw "daddy" all the time, but as soon as the dog saw someone bend down, he would cower and wimper so loud. i heard his owner calling him one day, and not using a "hey where is my puppy??? i cant find my dog! help!" tone of voice...and his dog was just trying to find "THE" spot to pee in... as dogs do. i know buttercup will sometimes circle the same 3 square feet of grass we have downtown here, and it takes her upwards of 10 minutes sometimes LOL, but i dont yell at her. anyhoo. the dog's owner went over to his peeing dog, grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and scream at him. oh, and shook him like crazy too. it scared the **** out of me. i called the SPCA and they sent an officer out to check it out, and i found out later he was required to take his dog to obedience lessons as part of his "fine" or whatever.

when i was moving, i made a comment about how less rambunctious his dog was, and he said "yeah, amazing what some training classes did...i'm starting him in some agility to help with his endless energy...i probably should have researched the breed a little better, huh?i thought i was just getting a cute fluffy white dog..."

oye.

ann marie and the "i'm cute and fluffy and sometimes beyond comprehension but everyone loves me anyway." buttercup

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it shocked me that the woman hit her dog, but then no one but me seemed to be offended or worried about the dog. Her daughter acted like it was normal, and the office personnel at the vets office didn't so much as blink, and some of them were wearing SPCA t-shirts! I hope they noticed too and were just waiting to talk to her in one of the exam rooms. Someday i'm going to be arrested for my reaction in a situation like this, I should just save up bail money now

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
You know there is a saying "every dog has his day" and one day she will hit her dog once too often and that dog will turn on her, but the sad thing about that is the poor dog then gets tagged as savage and is dealt a futher blow.

I have to agree whole heartedly that there are indeed some people out there who should nevery own a pet, they have absolutely no idea how to treat them but they are the first ones to complain if they get bitten because the pet is so afraid of them that he reacts in the only way he knows how.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Angelsmom@Sep 3 2005, 04:42 PM
I actually had a guy tell me that it didn't hurt his dashhound when he kicked if for following him after he had told it to stay home. Mind you it was a known fact that he was a wife and child beater. 
. I talked to his wife after he had left and she told me that she was leaving and taking her kids but couldn't take the poor little dog. It was strange how by the next day the little guy was missing and the SPCA had a new little guest with a discription of the former owner .  He was adopted into a nice family who had put in a request for that type of dog. He was not in the kennel for more then 1/2 day and to the best of my knowledge led a very happy life in his forever home. By the way I also knew the people who adopted him and they treated him like a king
(the rumor also went around that the guy that did it spent some time in a cage too for trying to beat up a police officer) So at least that is one story with a happy ending. :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96732
[/QUOTE]

Great story!!! Yea!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hey bellasmommy,

We went to the vet today too! We were there for a scheduled vaccination shot of DHPP and Rabies. We also scheduled a visit for the tear duct to be flushed.

i found out some bad news though... Turns our that Paris has a grade 1, patella luxation. I almost cried. don't know if I am over reacting or not. he's only 1 year and 4 months old...what if it gets worse? will it get worse-or is it just something that unpredictable.

The vet suggested we can help some by making sure that he gets glucosamine to supplement his nutrition...

sigh...

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Sep 3 2005, 11:33 PM
i found out some bad news though...  Turns our that Paris has a grade 1, patella luxation.  I almost cried.  don't know if I am over reacting or not.  he's only 1 year and 4 months old...what if it gets worse? will it get worse-or is it just something that unpredictable.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96779
[/QUOTE]
I hope I can be of some reassurance to you about Paris' LP. My vet examined Toby's joints and told me in one knee he is fine and in the other he also has a grade 1 LP. She must have seen the horror in my face and quickly reassured me. She said, if I remember correctly, this is what it means:
Grade 1: It slips out of joint, but take a lot of effort
Grade 2: Slips out occasionally
Grade 3: Slips in and out very easily
Grade 4: Is always out of joint
(forgive me if I am wrong, but this was back in May that she told me all this)

She basically said his knee could stay a grade 1 for the rest of his life and he never have a problem. From the way she acted about it, she made it seem like no big deal. I really trust this vet and if she thought it was a "no biggie", then I am not going to worry.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Sep 3 2005, 11:33 PM
Hey bellasmommy,

We went to the vet today too!  We were there for a scheduled vaccination shot of DHPP and Rabies.  We also scheduled a visit for the tear duct to be flushed.

i found out some bad news though...  Turns our that Paris has a grade 1, patella luxation.  I almost cried.  don't know if I am over reacting or not.  he's only 1 year and 4 months old...what if it gets worse? will it get worse-or is it just something that unpredictable.

The vet suggested we can help some by making sure that he gets glucosamine to supplement his nutrition...

sigh...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96779
[/QUOTE]

Paris' Mom, I'm so sorry you found out bad news, but I'm glad you found it early and can give Paris the glucosamine. I hate it when we go to the vet for a checkup and come out of there with other issues (last time I went they told me Bella had hookworms and we had to treat her for that), but I'm so glad the vets check for everything and are so thorough. Give Paris a hug for me

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
We were also told Scooby has a LP problem, which we suspected anyway because he did have a problem and was having painful episodes when he used to do his Maltese spins. We were told he may need surgery but to wait and see if the Glucosamine would help first.
I am very happy to say that he has been on the Glucosamine now for over 6 months and he has not had an episode for ages and runs confidently and has began to do his Maltese spins without a problem. Paris try the Glucosamine because it works, I will vouch for that.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
When I asked my vet about the glucosamine supplement...he kinda "shoo-shoo'd" it and said it didn't really help that much.

Brink has popping knees, but he didn't grade them or anything. He just said if they started to bother him we would have to look into the options, but as long as they weren't bothering him, not to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thanks to all the warm and reassuring replies! It's heart wrenching to see him running and jumping on our sofa/chair, etc. I tell him to not do it but it falls on deaf ears or something. He is so happy doing it...

I'm glad to hear the glucosamine has worked for some- as I will definitely try it. I don't take vitamines myself, but I figure it couldn't hurt to give it everthing in my power to prevent future issues-such as worsening.

I'm not going to add the next post to this discussion topic because it's so off-topic, but I am going to start anotehr one regarding which supplement to buy.

Sincerely thankful- Pari'sMom (not the same as PARIS-anotehr SM member. :D

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Sep 4 2005, 05:21 PM
When I asked my vet about the glucosamine supplement...he kinda "shoo-shoo'd" it and said it didn't really help that much.

Brink has popping knees, but he didn't grade them or anything. He just said if they started to bother him we would have to look into the options, but as long as they weren't bothering him, not to worry about it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96859
[/QUOTE]

Well I have Scooby on glucosamine and green lipped mussle suppliments and he has made a remarkable improvement. Before he would squeal in pain if he did the Maltese spin, now after 6 months treatment he is running and spinning without any trouble, something must have worked well for him. Some vets are against natural remedies too, they seem to think they are just a fad thing. My vet backs the use of it 100%.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I was giving Bijou Hip Chips as a treat not knowing that it contains glucosamine and chondrotin sulfate. He loved them but I hope I didn't hurt him by giving him too much. I guess I need to tell the pet store where I bought them as a treat. It says to give 2-3 chips per 10 lbs.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I can't see the harm if you stick to the recommended amount. It's like anything if you give too much then there could be a reaction that you don't want.

·
Registered
939 Posts
This thread brought back a childhood memorey i was about 9or 10 and a neighbor had a dog tied to a tree with a dog house in thier back yard ,a few months later we went to play again in thier back yard and i asked the kid 'where is your dog?' he said oh hes dead he climbed up on his dog house and tired to jump and hung himself over the fence .'my dad cut him down.' i didnt belive him . So he took me around the other side of the fence where it was wooded and there was the dead dog decomposted bones with the rope still attached . that tramatized me at 37 i can still see the dogs bones. What a sicko that father was.
~ Denise

1 - 20 of 25 Posts