Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since I am thinking about getting a maltese I would love to know what kind of grooming is involved. how ofted? what kind of brushes, combs would I use? what else would I need? what about bows? how would I teach her to wear them? has any one tried painting there pups nails? (with pet safe polish of course)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I am interested in finding out the normal grooming schedule too. I just got Rex professionally groomed on May 17th. The vet said to only wash him every 2 weeks, which seems to be fine for him, he doesnt get dirty. He wears boots in the yard so his paws dont get nasty. I brush him twice daily, morning and night. I feel the need to take him back and get him groomed again within the next week or so. They trim his private area hair very shorty, almost shaved, so he doesnt get pee stains on it and it grew back very fast. I have a friend that trims her dog herself, but I wouldnt feel comfortable, I would probably mess up and trim too far out. I have one of those metal combs that i use to pick the few mats that he has gotten out, but I prefer a regular human brush with plastic bristles, it does a great job on him. I use the Groomax whitening shampoo and silk conditioner when I wash him myself, which is also what the groomer uses. I dont know if it is politically correct for a boy to wear a boy, but I put a velcro baby bow in his hair for his picture, that way it wouldnt rip his hair if he pulled it out.
I use this stuff called "Pretty Eyes" to clean his eyes. I just put it on a cotton ball and wipe his stains before I brush him. It says to use it daily until stains are gone and then once weekly.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by melissajean@Jun 13 2005, 03:32 PM
since I am thinking about getting a maltese I would love to know what kind of grooming is involved. how ofted? what kind of brushes, combs would I use? what else would I need? what about bows? how would I teach her to wear them? has any one tried painting there pups nails? (with pet safe polish of course)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72236
[/QUOTE]
JMM, one of our SM members has started some threads on grooming with lots of photos of the tools, etc. Here is the list of the threads she has started..... these are very informative:

JMM's Topics

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
These little ones take lots of grooming. I brush and comb Lacey everynight. She has good hair but you do have to stay on top of the grooming. I spend a small fortune on hair products for Lacey. I have learned to do all of her grooming myself. My groomer charges $50.00 to groom Lacey. Lacey gets a bath once a week but I believe her adult coat is coming in so she is getting little matts very close to the skin that I have to take care of everyday.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Depending on who you ask, the coat changes one to three times. Most people recognize a change from "puppy" to "adult" coat sometime around 9-12 months where matting may become a problem and they seem to get more coat than they should in the brush.

Most of the time a poor puppy coat is not going to drastically improve. If you go to a reputable breeder, they should be familiar with their lines and be able to give you a pretty accurate estimate of what the adult coat will be like.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
owww that sounds painfull. I think I used one of those on my yorkie. I was afraid the kind with out tips would scratch his skin. isnt that a problem with the no tiped kind?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by melissajean@Jun 14 2005, 10:56 AM
owww that sounds painfull. I think I used one of those on my yorkie. I was afraid the kind with out tips would scratch his skin. isnt that a problem with the no tiped kind?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72487
[/QUOTE]

On her website, Chris Christensen tells you how to do the "tip test" with a pin brush.

http://www.chrissystems.com/tiptest.htm

I have her Gold Series brush and it really doesn't leave marks on your arm. It's a great brush for Maltese with a thicker, more cottony coat.

A#1 All Systems makes a really great pin brush, too, with a soft pad.

http://www.cherrybrook.com/store/ProductDe...productID=62561

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks. has any one orderd from cherry brook before? I have one of there cataloges and I was wondering how good there products were

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by melissajean@Jun 14 2005, 12:23 PM
thanks. has any one orderd from cherry brook before? I have one of there cataloges and I was wondering how good there products were
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72521
[/QUOTE]

Cherrybrook carries wonderful products. I take issue with their high shipping, though. $10 shipping on a $30 order is ridiculous. I also had a problem with my last order. They were out of several items so they weren't able to fill it.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you are brushing properly, you should not be scratching the dog with the brush, especially if you are using a high quality pin brush like #1 All Systems or Chris Christensen. You brush the hair in small sections with a flat wrist. It is easier for your breeder to show you how.

The Maltese coat is probably the hardest drop-coated breed coat to keep.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok thanks

edited to add: would a human brush work? I used ti use my brush on my yorkie sometimes. when I would brush my hair I would sometimes just reach down and grab him and do him to

1 - 17 of 17 Posts