Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Mar 26 2005, 01:10 PM
JMM wrote on another post:  If the dog is underweight and not eating, you need to see a vet.
My question is, how do you know if your pup is underweight, or overweight for that matter.  I know we've done a lot of post recently regarding defending the larger maltese but what is the ideal weight?  What should they weigh since it seems so many of us have differing ideals?  How will we know if they are underweight?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46429
[/QUOTE]

You should ideally ask your vet but I think you can run your fingers down the ribs to see how much of ribs you can feel. If you can't feel the ribs, then the dog is overweight. There are very helpful charts in most vet's offices that you can examine and they show progression from underweight to overweight. I think maltese can vary in their frames so the ideal weight for each dog will vary. The ideal weight for our maltese is around 6.5 lbs but that's based on his frame and recommendations of our vet.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.