Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a teacher, but I am also going for an administrative credential. In my program that I am enrolled in, I have to initiate, develop, create and lead a program at my school. Only problem is I need some ideas.

I work at a Kinder - 8th grade school, so I am sure there are many options.

I would like your input as parents and as teachers, or just any ideas from anyone who would like to help.

We already have character education programs, reading clubs, after school academic programs, PTA, parent days, grand parent days...we do alot already.

So, can you please help me out? Any input would be greatly appreciated. You may think your idea is far off, but it may lead to something else when it clicks in my brain.

I am also struggling because my principal appears to be unhelpful and resistant. I suggested an adult volunteer mentoring program, but he shot that one down.

As parents, what would you like to have at a school for your students?
As teachers, what would you find beneficial at your school?
As students, what would you like at your school?

Thanks alot guys! :D

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
im not sure if this is a good idea, but i learn graphic design at school, and i always wanted a class that could have taught me more about art when i was in school

maybe an arts and crafts class, fineart class, design class, motion graphics class, illustration class, photography class, etc..something related to art..i dunno..acting class, movie critique class, i dunno, im into art so ...thats what i would like kids to get more interested into..hehe

maybe understanding animals class? learning about animals?

learning about human body class?
communication class?
presentation class?

hmm...i dont have any good ideas..

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mee, those are good ideas...we have a program called "Meet the Masters" which covers, over the school year, about 6 artists. Students then are instructed and taught certain art techniques and are able to work on prjects in class...I love art and was a design major for three years before I got into teaching. I like the animal idea too., and the critique idea...hmmm...ideas to feed the brain

Thank you...we are off to a good start! :D

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
woa! u studied design? what kind of design? thats interesting !

thats nice that ur school has that meet the masters class too! that sounds intersting !! i wish i could be in there too !!

i just ideas from the classes i took or are listed in my school curriculm..hehe.
maybe u could go to any college website and check out their classes and get ideas from there too...

it'll be good if elemantary kids got ahead start of some basic classes that u learn in college..maybe parents would be impressed.. hehe

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
ooooh. I got lots of things on my mind. Don't know if this is what you're talking about but I think these are something to think about.

First off, I'm so tired of schools becoming more unsafe! I think we need to start ASAP teaching kids about how different we are (race, culture, disability, etc) and learn that it's a good thing to be different/unique. Learn NOT to hate. You're teaching k-8, so this is a great time to teach this!

I also thinks it's soooo important to talk about sex asap. Not, intercourse to kindergardeners! NO WAY! I mean what's good touching and what's bad touching. Whatever is age appropriate and let them know it's OK to talk to the teachers or the authorities about this. So many freaks out there and someone of us are related to them
. So we need to let them know that if someone says not to tell, tell them they're the wrong person to trust...even if it is your dad, or uncle, or WHOEVER! As they get older, talk more about sex like peer pressure and rape.

My nephew is very smart. But he has such a hard time focusing. I'm like "what in the world?!?" It's weird because he knows alot. There are things he does on the computer that I think you need to be older than 9 yrs old to know! I think that kids like my nephew are very smart, but need extra attention! Don't know what you guys can do. Maybe try to target students like him and develop a program that will help them succeed. Help bring their confident up so they don't feel dumb, as well. :/

I wish Handwriting, art, and music class wasnt cut. It made school more fun.

Have more incentives!!! Yes, bribe them to do better in school! hahaha

Give raises to the "GOOD" teachers, and give bad teachers a pay cut!

Can't think of anything else right now. First 3 are definitely the most important to me.

I also heard that kids are taking college accessment tests early? I don't know if CA knows about ACT, but I heard someone's kid that was in 7th grade got the same score I did when I took it in 11th-12th grade. Sort of embarrassing, but I think it's great that they start early. Can't underestimate these kids! Great idea for them to take that test...it'll help you see what their strengths and weaknesses are.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
First, I'd like to say I am always in awe of our teachers. I love my kids, but I cannot imagine dealing with a group of 15 to 20 kids (or more) each and every day. I'm exhausted after just a 3 hour play-date!

Now for my suggestion. You mention character programs, how about developing an honor code and recognition award program? Our school (which goes from 3yrs. through 12th grade) came up with a program for their 2nd through 5th graders. I think it could be applied through 8th in your case. The school has adopted an honor code of conduct for it's students. Rather than negatively present the code, the school decided to establish "character awards". These awards are given to one student in each class...let's say there are three 2nd grade classes, then 3 students would get the same award. Each child during the course of the year will receive an award, so that no one is left out of the program. Awards are for things like "Most Honest", "Most Respectful", "Most Tolerant", "Most Compassionate", "Most Forgiving", etc. These awards, which are presented during monthly assemby are a positive way for the children to live up to the honor code. My son still talks about his "Most Honest" award. There was an incident at school involving some Pokemon Cards (which are not allowed). He told his teacher that he brought in a card to trade, which he knew was against the rule. He handed her his "Honesty Award" and said that he didn't deserve it because he broke the rules. The teacher took him down to the principal, and both of them gave him a special award at the next assembly for "Living Up to the Honor Code". They didn't make him turn in his honesty award, and to this day, my child will not lie....about anything. I guess it's kind of like positive reward training! But I really think this is the best program our school runs...and we do it all, after-school activites, community service programs, sports, reading and book clubs, chess, you name it, we do it.

Good luck and thank you for taking on such a wonderful and important career.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'm not a teacher a student or a parent, but I have a few ideas..

1. When I was in elementary school we had this "buddy" system. Like eighth grade would meet with fourth grade, seventh with third, and so on.. and you would have a little book club, and you and your mentor had to read the story out loud and then fill out a worksheet...

2. I know this may be a HUGE project but what about a school play? You can always find a One Act play out there.

3. Talent Show

those are my thoughts...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by mee@Oct 12 2004, 03:13 AM
maybe a self defense class if u get sexually harrased or seomthing..ok..byeee~
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11772
[/QUOTE]

Great Idea! Oprah had a show years ago about what kids can do to protect themselves. For example, if they were thrown in a trunk of a car, it showed what how to take out the rear lights so you can stick your hand out of it so that people can see you. Do you guys remember that? You should buy the tape from Oprah or something.

I like the buddy system. The younger kids will think it's cool to hang out with the older kids. And you know what? The older kids can teach them about the first 2 ideas I talked about in the earlier post--about our differences and about sex. The younger kids can definitely relate more to the older kids! They'd think it's SO COOL!

I really like the "character award" idea too! Chivalry, loyalty, honesty, all that good stuff truly is dying/dead!

I don't know what you can do with your school, but I really think every schools should deal with these issues! It's crazy that when I was younger, these stuff weren't taught to us. For some, not even our parents taught us! I hate to think how kids grow up all their lives hating themselves because they're different or living with molestation all of their lives!

Much props to teachers! I was thinking of being one, but TN pays CRAP to teachers.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
When I was teaching in the Elementary, we did the Math-A-thon program to benefit the children at St. Jude's research hospital in Memphis. I headed it up for several years. The St. Jude people are SO nice to work with. The children have a little math workbook of I think 100 problems that they work, and they take pledges from people for each problem, or just a flat donation. Depending on the money they raise...they can get a certificate, tshirt, duffle bag, and qualify for the bigger prize which was usually a CD player or something for the one that raised the most money. Every participant got a free pass to 6 flags. They are a supporter of Math-aThon. I loved doing this project. I left before I got to take kids on a field trip to the hospital, but that was my goal. The kids worked hard for the prizes, but they also knew they were helping out other sick children...we would have kids bring in ziploc bags of money where they had emptied out their piggy banks to give...very tender....anyway, it is a good program. And fairly easy. Our elementary in this town does Jump Rope for Heart through the American Heart Association-same basic principal...it is done through the PE program. I liked St. Jude b/c it was kids helping kids.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Tlunn--I remember the Math-a-thon and the Jump Rope for Heart programs when I was in elementary school!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I had one more idea!
When I was in elementary school a local credit union teamed up with us and we all started a savings account, and every morning there would be tellers (older students) there to collect money and put it in your savings.

Also... if you school doesn't have it try and link up with a local restaurant (like Pizza Hut) and do a book club, I think it is if you read four books you get a personal pan pizza...

okay so that was two more ideas! I'm all about networking in the community if you havn't noticed!
:lol:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
SERIOUSLY---I totally give props to teachers....only the good ones though LOL.

After trying to help my 9 yr old nephew, I don't know if I'm cut out to be a teacher. My nephew has a hard time focusing. So like, here's one example of a problem I helped him on that took too long to do...

Ben has 20 books that he wants to put on a book shelf. He's either going to put 3, 4, or 5 shelves in it. How many ways can he put the "same" amount of books on each shelf.

Yeah, I had to read it more than once. I was trying to tell them that there is more than one math problem he's gotta do before he can figure the problem out. I couldn't get him to understand.

And then I find out, he really doesn't know how to do division! WHAT IN THE WORLD! Aparantly, he's been getting by in his HW by using a calculator! I never used a calculator when I was in elementary! Like, when it comes to cracking game codes or working the computer, he so smart. But, you cant do 42 divided by 3???? He's a freaking RAINMAN or something?!?!

Cant blame him totally though. I blame the system and me too. I get mad at MYSELF because MATH IS MY FAVORITE SUBJECT!
:wacko:

This job really takes someone who's innovative and persistant and creative and passionate and smart (of course). I didnt even know my favorite subject was math until highschool, when I had the best teacher in the world. She made everything sound so easy! I was so confident in my math classes, that even when I had not so great teachers, I knew I could figure it out on my own. I use to be the worst WORST essay writer, but my junior and senior teachers made essay writing sound so easy that I LOVE the challenge of writing! My younger cousins had trouble writing so I wrote them something titled "how to write an essay paper." They loved it because it was funny and it made it sound SO easy. Anyone want a copy? lol

Elegant...I really love how you do want to better things! Good luck in all you do.

Sheesh, I type too much!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i think im like your nephew. i keep forgeting what 6x7 is.....but i know how to do derivatives and finding limits of infinity. lol. i honestly(dont tell anyone :ph34r: ) dont know how to do my 11 and 12 times tables. i know 12x12...but thats it. :ph34r:

anyway, i saw on animal planet, that there were a bunch of shy kids or something. and they had a dog training program at their school. and kids who didnt have friends...made friends because they were all in this club. i wish they had something lik ethat at my elementary school!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Boy we have got some wonderful ideas being posted!

I reviewed the posts quickly (I have been gone for a few days) but I don't think I saw this one.

When my kids were in elementry school each year we did a week long celebration leading up to the 100th day of school.

Each grade collected (a minimum of) 100 items for the local charities (each did something different canned food, boxed mixes, pet food, socks...etc.

If all of the grades reach their goal the principal and assistant pricipal did something special to reward the kids.... One year they dressed up (along with other willing teachers) and did a 50's song on stange, one year a pie in the face... silly stuff like that.

Each grade also used the opportunity to do something "100" related; math activities and such.

Judi

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, I have been unable to get online for a while because I have been at school and tremendously busy. These are great ideas. I am going to post on them this weekend when I have a chance to breathe (or so I think I'll have a chance to breathe!).

Great ideas...thank you!

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Oct 13 2004, 08:42 AM
i think im like your nephew.  i keep forgeting what 6x7 is.....but i know how to do derivatives and finding limits of infinity.  lol.  i honestly(dont tell anyone :ph34r: ) dont know how to do my 11 and 12 times tables.  i know 12x12...but thats it.  :ph34r:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11869
[/QUOTE]

I just reread what you posted. Do you know how to do your 11's up to 10? 11,22,33,44,55,66,77,88,99,111

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah..im retarded. i told my sister about what i said, and she was like "2x11 is 22, and so on." and i was like "ohhhhh, yeah, huh" :ph34r:

on my math test, i said that 12+3=16....i lost a point on that, AND my teacher had to correct my mistake. i was soo embarrassed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts