Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought of anyone you guys would see the humour in this!

Angus goes in a litter box. For the past two weeks, every few days, I would find a puddle of pee underneath his box.

Of course, I am thinking that the box must have a hole in it. How else would pee end up underneath the box, right? Hubbie says, don't worry, I can fix it...I'll just melt it slightly to repair the hole.

That's assuming I could find the hole. Nope. Nadda. So Saturday night, I bought a brand new litter box. I think to myself, now, no more pee puddles.

Until tonight. I caught the little devil with his front paws in the litter box and his hind legs on the floor peeing!
What the heck is THAT?!?

Now I need to devise a strategy for teaching him to pee inside the box every time...it just doesn't work to be partially inside!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
My cat used to be an expert at standing in the litter box (the kind with lid and door) and still peeing outside the box. She would aim right for the point where the lid and box met. Finally, we resolved the issue by using duct tape around the litter box, both inside and out.

Edited to say: she was the original "outside of the box" thinker! Or should I say tinkler.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by saltymalty@Jun 6 2005, 08:12 PM
Edited to say:  she was the original "outside of the box" thinker!  Or should I say tinkler.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69764
[/QUOTE]

Well, since the new (
) litter box is the kind with the snap-on sides, I think I'm going to have to look at putting it on....any ideas on how I'd cut one of the sides out of that molded plastic?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Well, these little guys can be very creative.... that is hysterical!!!

My first Maltese Rosebud used to have her potty area in a large tray that was about 3 inches tall and when she would poop she would stand in the tray with her butt over the side of it and poop sort of on the side of the tray and on the floor... lovely!! :eek:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I don't have any suggestions... except maybe a bigger litterbox. I use the large dog litter pans from Petsmart. The wee pads fit almost perfect in them and it gives Brinkley enough room to do a few turns before he does his business...

It was funny picturing Angus though...

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I tried the litter box thing... Kodie wasnt having it.
He uses his puppy pads that sit flat floor instead.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, jeez, if he piddled in the new box, he would get it dirty!!!!!!

Don't you know anything?????????

They are so very very clever!!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Angus@Jun 6 2005, 08:09 PM
I thought of anyone you guys would see the humour in this! 

Angus goes in a litter box. For the past two weeks, every few days, I would find a puddle of pee underneath his box. 

Of course, I am thinking that the box must have a hole in it. How else would pee end up underneath the box, right? Hubbie says, don't worry, I can fix it...I'll just melt it slightly to repair the hole.

That's assuming I could find the hole. Nope. Nadda. So Saturday night, I bought a brand new litter box. I think to myself, now, no more pee puddles.

Until tonight. I caught the little devil with his front paws in the litter box and his hind legs on the floor peeing! 
What the heck is THAT?!?

Now I need to devise a strategy for teaching him to pee inside the box every time...it just doesn't work to be partially inside!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69762
[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that he doesn't like the box... maybe he needs a little more space. Is your room situation such that you can just put the potty pads on the floor and not in the box?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny you ask that! I just took the box away and put down a pad a few minutes ago. We're going to give the pads a go and see how it works out.

I'm not too sure how to teach him to go on the pads now that he's litter trained though...I'm not really looking forward to potty training all over again!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Angus@Jun 7 2005, 08:01 PM
Funny you ask that! I just took the box away and put down a pad a few minutes ago. We're going to give the pads a go and see how it works out.

I'm not too sure how to teach him to go on the pads now that he's litter trained though...I'm not really looking forward to potty training all over again! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70285
[/QUOTE]

I would think he'd catch on... it's in the same general area, right? And you're using the same pads? Do you have a word you use to let him know to "go"?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's in the exact same area, yes. But we have never used pads before, so this is new territory for him. Seriously, what would be the difference to him between the pads and say, a bath mat (Angus has an ongoing love affair with pooping on bathmats....
). He knows he's not supposed to, I think it just feels so darn good on his paws that he can't resist.

Anyway, ramble, ramble, he actually peed on the pad today (by missing the box as above), so I kept that one so that his scent would be there. Hopefully that'll do a trick.

Oh, and I can say "go pee pee" 'till I'm blue in the face. He'll pee when he's darn good and ready to, and not a moment before.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Angus@Jun 7 2005, 08:46 PM
It's in the exact same area, yes. But we have never used pads before, so this is new territory for him. Seriously, what would be the difference to him between the pads and say, a bath mat (Angus has an ongoing love affair with pooping on bathmats....
). He knows he's not supposed to, I think it just feels so darn good on his paws that he can't resist. 

Anyway, ramble, ramble, he actually peed on the pad today (by missing the box as above), so I kept that one so that his scent would be there. Hopefully that'll do a trick.

Oh, and I can say "go pee pee" 'till I'm blue in the face. He'll pee when he's darn good and ready to, and not a moment before. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70309
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...... do you say "Go pee pee" while he is going? If not, just as soon as he starts "going" say whatever you want to be your words, such as "go pee pee"... I use "hurry up". If you say it as soon as he starts and until he finishes he will associate going with those words. It has worked so perfectly for me with my two and with my first Maltese, Rosebud. They pretty much go on command whenever I say the phrase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts