Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Liza, from what I've seen, getting a pup from a high quality breeder is sort of like the housing market. Someone might pay $1200 - $1700 back in Kentucky (where I'm from), whereas someone might pay $2000 - $2500 out here in Southern California.

And this isn't just for Maltese, but for any pure bred dogs from a high quality breeder. I know I have Golden Retriever friends back east that paid $1500 for their pup, and friends out here that paid $2500 - $3000 for their pup.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think this topic has come up before, but for whatever reason, people are extremely hesitant to give direct answers. I'm not really sure why. IMO, we're all Maltese people, we know they are worth every penny no matter what the price, so it's not a matter of embarrassment--I think it's an interesting thread topic, just out of curiosity, if not for anything else, then to see the range that exists from one area of the country to the next.

Leila was $2000. I got her at 17 weeks. What about Dolce?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i paid $1400.00 for dolce . and i got him at 16 weeks., yes ashley im just curious .

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I had a discussion with my mom about this not too long ago.

My mom paid $800 (I think?) for Roxy, but she was from a BYB. Before Roxy passed, she was not for paying a lot for a puppy, but now she is willing to pay up to $4,000 from a reputable breeder only (although, she would love to pay less than that, LOL).

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brianna , can u share what happened to ur angel roxy ?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I paid 278,484.90 ... converted to japanese yen. :D

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Males generally sell for less than females.

Our own Tina/It's Magic Maltese sells her males for between $500-$1,000. Tina is a show breeder and offers a wonderful health guarentee.

HOME

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think that some folks, myself included, don't say what they paid out of respect for their breeder. I'm not sure my breeder would appreciate me telling what I paid for Poppy. ??

And, with the economy the way it is, some breeders might be selling for less today than they would have 2 years ago. I guess like everything, it's all based on supply and demand.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Most breeders charge different amounts for each puppy based on many different factors, such as overall "quality", size, etc. I rarely see reputable breeders say that they charge X amount for males & X amount for females, regardless of quality...although I'm sure they may exist.

I paid around $1400 for London, who ended up being from a "show" breeder who is really a backyard breeder. I was basically tricked by the breeder into thinking she had a great pedigree when she didn't. London has been healthy so far, except for a grade 1 luxating patella & now some unknown allergy issue. Her structure is FAR from standard. I got London shortly before finding this forum unfortunately.

Preston is from a wonderful breeder with a great pedigree and he was about $1200. His breeder was holding him back for show but allowed me to have him as a pet since she was also watching a female for show (it's easier to get a show quality male as a pet than a show quality female). He was the best $1200 I've ever spent and is perfectly healthy, well-adjusted, and his structure is great. He represents the breed standard quite well. I hate to put it like this, but I got a great "deal" on Preston based on the economy. 2 years ago he would have cost me a lot more $$ I'm sure. Of course, he is priceless and I would pay $5000 for him today if I had to. :)

My first Maltese, Benson (who passed away before age 2) was purchased from a puppymill (no, I had no idea at the time like many members here the 1st time around) for $800 if I remember correctly. He was sick since he was 6 months old. He was an amazing dog, but I still feel guilty about getting him.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that some folks, myself included, don't say what they paid out of respect for their breeder. I'm not sure my breeder would appreciate me telling what I paid for Poppy. ??

And, with the economy the way it is, some breeders might be selling for less today than they would have 2 years ago. I guess like everything, it's all based on supply and demand.

HUGz! Jules
thats a valid excuse..

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
For my first maltese I bought as a pet, she was $2000 and I got her at 18 weeks. At the time, I didn't know what I was doing and couldn't believe I was spending 'so much' for a pet but it didn't take me long to realize how much I had lucked out and what a bargain she really was (after I joined this forum, of course). Here is a pic of my 11 year old daughter showing my first malt in Junior showmanship and let me just say - Lucy holds her own in the ring as far as being a show quality juniors dog

They have qualified to show at Eukanuba already and are working for Westminster (half way there)

My next two dogs were bought on a show contract, so I don't feel comfortable discussing those prices, and my other three malts I bred.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Liza, from what I've seen, getting a pup from a high quality breeder is sort of like the housing market. Someone might pay $1200 - $1700 back in Kentucky (where I'm from), whereas someone might pay $2000 - $2500 out here in Southern California.

And this isn't just for Maltese, but for any pure bred dogs from a high quality breeder. I know I have Golden Retriever friends back east that paid $1500 for their pup, and friends out here that paid $2500 - $3000 for their pup.

HUGz! Jules
And if I could add.....

You can also pay that much for a puppy from a backyard breeder, broker or pet store.

Brokers and pet stores get their puppies from puppy mills for a couple hundred dollars, then put a big price tag on them.

BYB's try to charge the same as show breeders to uneducated buyers. BYB's breed inferior quality Maltese with no pedigrees, often with papers from one of the "alternative" registries besides the AKC , that carry genetic time bombs they pass onto their offspring because they don't health test.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Miss Gigi was over $2000. :) But she's really truly priceless.

I had a discussion with my mom about this not too long ago.

My mom paid $800 (I think?) for Roxy, but she was from a BYB. Before Roxy passed, she was not for paying a lot for a puppy, but now she is willing to pay up to $4,000 from a reputable breeder only (although, she would love to pay less than that, LOL).
Same!! I had actually payed about $1200 all together for my Imani. My mother didn't want to pay that much more because in the 3 months we had Imani, we had payed about $2000 worth of vet bills. We were going to get a pup from Bonnie at first, but we saw miss Gigi and knew she was perfect for me!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts