Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know what is going to happen here.......everyone will probably say I wouldn't have ANYTHING but a Maltese. Since I've been owned by Frosty for so long, it is almost impossible to imagine a little furbody who isn't a Maltese. I just wondered. I know some of you have other dogs along with your Malt. Yorkies, Shih Tzus I know are out there with you. I'm trying to be open minded and at least consider a possible toy companion dog who may not be a Malt. What do you think? Once owned by a Malt, always owned my a Malt?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
If I was not so allergic, I would love to have a pug.
My husband was raised with them and loves them.
They have great personalities and are TONS of fun....

I would also consider a Shih-Tzu.....but now that I will be getting a second malt...it will be quite awhile before I consider another...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'd definetly get a pekingese. My mom had one when she still lived at home and she loved him. I love their cute little smushed faces! I would definetly keep their hair short though. I think they look kinda scary with the long full hair. I also think their independant personalities would compliment the dependant personality of the maltese.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Malts are first on my list but i`ve seen a couple of yorkies that have stolen my heart. I also love shih tzu pups, for example Charmypoo`s little Waffle is a DOLL!!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
If I absolutely could NOT have a Maltese then I would probably look at the Papillion. I love their ears. I also like the ones with what is called "red" markings. I don't care for the black and white. They do not have an undercoat.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have a yorkie. I always thought maltese was the only dog for me and boy was I apprehensive about my little Tinkerbell. But I am very glad I have her. She is so fun and completely opposite in personality to my malt, and not to mention how EASY to groom, she never mats and is so silky! However I will say, just one yorkie is enough for me. If I were to get a 3rd small dog, it would be another maltese. If you are considering a yorkie you should check out yorkietalk.com, it's a great site.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My husband has grown up with a yorkie, toy poodle and a bichon. He thinks that of those three, Miko is the most calmest and loving (and cutest). When we were looking for Miko, I wanted a toy poodle and my husband wanted a yorkie. We settle on a maltese since I really just wanted a white fluffy dog!! My in-laws now have another yorkie and a lhaso apso. It may be just personality differences but Miko is buy far the calmest and barks A LOT less than those 2. I definitely do think that yorkies are adorable but I love the drop ears of a maltese. At one point I thought about a shih tzu but my husband really doesn't like the flat faces
. I think it is important to at least consider other breeeds.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
1. weiner dog (dachshund)
2. cavalier king charles spaniel
3. yorkie

although the king charles may not be a "toy" dog I'd love to have one

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I have no interest in any toy breed besides Maltese. If there were no maltese, I would get another bichon (tho that isn't a toy breed). Jolie has been a joy.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was raised around poodles big and small, which the big ones are my favorite of the two. My neighbor had a dachshund before I got my little one and my husband I spoiled him with snacks. I tried everyway to get them to let me have them because he hated their small children. When I got Baby Gizmo he was so tiny and so sweet. So far the Maltese are my favorite.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I guess if I had to choose a breed other than Maltese or Yorkie, I might get a cat. I've never had a cat, so that would be a new experience for sure. But...I'm so happy to have Bella and Harley, its hard to imagine a world without them

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
next on my wish list (of course, behind another maltese) is a hungarian puli or an old english sheepdog. the boy is beside himself waiting for us to move so that he can have a bichon, but he is pretty anti-big shedding dog. grrr. lol. i guess that rules out newfies for me! boo

if i had to pick another toy breed...papillon, peke, or long coated chi. but it's not happening soon. LOL buttercup is having a bichon brother before anything else.

ann marie and the "everyone knows the oldest child is the favorite anyway" buttercup

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
I have fell in love with the maltese. But I loved all three of my cockapoos. We had one who weighed 8lbs,and three in the 20lb range. We had one black dog and all the rest have been white. Something special about these little angels.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
OH there are so many that I love but they are not really "toy" breeds. LOL....I am with Joe I would love to have a King Charles...a man my hubby works with has one and boy is he gorgeous (the dog not the man) I also love Spinger Spaniels...

But If i were to get any toy dog I just love Poms. I had one as a teenager but my kids have asthma and it would NOT be good for them. I also like the wiener dogs...and long hair Chi's...hubby wanted a Jap. Chin so it would match the cat but I talked him into the malt instead lol

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I love my Tuffy like crazy but I'm glad I went with a different kind of dog for my second. Yorkies are a fantastic breed. They are so easy going and sweet and are awesome dogs. I think that if you like Maltese personalities you'll more than likely love a Yorkie's personality. I think Pixie has the same personality as a lot of the Malts around the forum have. She's lovable, loves to play, is curious and smart as a whip, always happy and just a fun dog. She's actually been a great influence on Tuffy who used to be kind of aloof and independent but she turned him around.. he's a total sweetie pie now, very lovable and loves to cuddle. She's brought the fun loving guy out in him. I also have to echo chloeandj's statement about grooming and Yorkie Talk. Pixie is a breeze to groom.. though she does tend to stink sooner than Tuffy does. And Yorkie Talk is a great forum for Yorkie fanciers.
Oh and the best thing about Yorkies, no tear staining!!

I think if I got a 3rd dog I wouldn't be able to pick between another Malt or Yorkie so my 3rd choice would be a Papillon. I saw them recently at a dog show and they are just adorable!! I love their gorgeous ears, markings and pretty coat.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If I couldnt get a maltese I dont know what I would get.

my fav dogs are
maltese
minpin They are NOT for everyone but I love a challenge
LG haired Chis (they are much different than short hairs)
Paps are great I know a good pap breeder if you choose paps
mini poodles. (not a toy but small)
bostons are neat

I could go on and on.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would definitely say havanese (already have 2 so I don't know if my answer counts). I have really bad dog allergies and these are the only 2 breeds that don't send my immune system into overdrive. They are a sturdier dog, larger than a malt, they don't have a "doggy" smell like some of the other toy breeds, they have the most adorable, springy gait, and their personalities are very similiar to maltese. If I had to pick a 3rd breed...probably a chinese crested.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
My heart has been stolen by Maltese and Miniature Dachshund (smooth coat and red). Although the doxies are not a "toy" breed, my old doxie weighted in at 11 lbs--I think that is still pretty small.

I don't know if I could personally handle two Maltese at one time, so I think the mini doxie and a Maltese would be a perfect fit for me. :D

1 - 20 of 71 Posts