Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you guys...

Im Back I see a view changes, "Not Bad"... My baby boy Maltese will be 2years old in March... And i want to get another Maltese a girl this time..... It seems like alot of people will not sell me a girl Maltese unless i get her spayed..... What's up with that? Im still looking around....

It feels good to be Back....

Love Bushi's Mom

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Hello,
It sounds like maybe you used to post here but have been gone for a while. I'd love to see a photo of your little guy.

I'm no expert on this subject but my experience is that unless you plan to show your dog, a good breeder will sell you a pet quality dog. The pet quality dogs have some characteristic that disqualifies them from being shown. Since good breeders only want to breed for the best breed characteristics they will require that pet quality dogs be spayed. This is very standard with responsible breeders. I have to get my female puppy spayed. If I don't do so then I will not be able to get the papers from the breeder to register her with the AKC. If I wanted to breed Maltese (and I don't) then I would need that registration to be able to sell the puppies as purebred Maltese and get a decent price. No one is forcing me to have the dog spayed, but I will honor my contract with the breeder and do so. Besides that, I don't have any interest in breeding dogs. I think this sums up the general reasoning behind the spay/neuter agreement. Like I said, this is only what I have learned in purchasing a couple of purebred dogs through the years. If I've missed something someone else will add it.

Welcome to the site.
Susan

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hi MyBushi,

Spaying is healthier for females---protects them from uterine cancer, etc...and means that you don't have to deal with having a female in season, including the danger of possible "accidents" happening with much larger males (how many people think their little girl will never come into contact with an intact male? Wrong! I rescued a female in heat some years ago, and we lived in the middle of the desert--lo and behold, one night, a strange male dog came flying through my bedroom window in an attempt to get to her!).

However, the primary reason I spay/neuter all my pets, whether or not they are purebred, is because it's simply the right thing to do. The world is so full of unwanted pets that suffer tremendous neglect and cruelty. Why add to that? One can never be sure what fate awaits a puppy--even purebred Maltese. Just look on petfinder to see 153 unwanted Maltese just today, and these are the lucky ones who have made it to rescue.

The little Maltese we are discussing in another thread who is in the Memphis Animal Shelter isn't on that list...

Spay your little baby girl, she'll be happier and healthier for it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You!!!!

Ok now I understand why Male/Female Maltese should be spayed/neutered. I always wanted to have puppies at leat one time..... Bushi is going on 2years old and he is not Neutered, why because i thought i would get a female Maltese one day and have some puppies.... I guess that is not happening.... Now I'm going to make plans to get my baby Neutered as soon as possible....

Joe should be posting my pic to my SN very soon....

Thanks again u guys.....

Bushi's Mom

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
you should be using your old user name "Bushi's Mom"

joe

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My Bushi, Sylphide's Mom explained it so well... just a little more to add.....
If spayed before her first heat, the chances of mammary cancer are reduced to almost zero. Most recommend spaying at around six months.

Also, you are definitely doing the right thing in having Bushi neutered. All info I have ever read says a neutered male is a much "better" pet than a non-neutered one and it is just the "responsible" thing to do. There are other posts on this site on this somewhat volitile topic. Here are some links:

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?...t=0&#entry25370

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?...topic=1657&st=0

If you are wanting to buy a Maltese from a top breeder, they may be concerned about the fact that your male is not neutered. Just an FYI......

Best wishes on finding your perfect baby girl!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello You Guys!

Well Bushi is all set to get Neuterd on Jan. 7th 2005.... I feel so bad for him, but i know I'm doing the right thing for my baby.....

I hope he will still act the same....... Like licking my toes lol and stuff like that.....

Well just keeping you guys up to date on Bushi's Health.....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by MyBushi@Dec 27 2004, 02:12 PM
Hello You Guys!

Well Bushi is all set to get Neuterd on Jan. 7th 2005.... I feel so bad for him, but i know I'm doing the right thing for my baby.....

I hope he will still act the same.......  Like licking my toes lol and stuff like that.....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25583
[/QUOTE]

I can really tell now that Brink's "hormones" have settled or whatever after they are neutered...a difference in him...he is more lovey and kissy...I didn't think that was possible. It didn't happen right away though-it has been over the course of several weeks. I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MyBushi@Dec 27 2004, 02:12 PM
Hello You Guys!

I hope he will still act the same.......  Like licking my toes lol and stuff like that.....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25583
[/QUOTE]

Good for you... and yes, he will still be the same .... even better!!

My Catcher was neutered in October at a little under 6 months and he is still such a baby. He has never even humped anything and his little thingy has not ever even shown itself.
I could not ask for a more affectionate dog... all he wants is to be cuddled by his mommy.... You'll love Bushi even more after he's neutered and he'd thank you for it if he could!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
HI Bushi's Mom,

I'm so glad to hear Bushi is getting neutered. He'll be happier for it. Be sure to ask the vet for painkillers just in case he's in discomfort after the surgery. You'll be amazed to see how quickly they recover. Recovery is usually really quick for the little boys...takes the girls a few days longer. Even so, Sylphide was back to her playful self in no time at all.

Thanks for keeping us posted! Let us know how everything goes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:D Thanks you so much for your support i was really starting to get worried about getting Bushi Neauterd, because of my "Husband". He thinks I'm being mean buy getting this done.... I had to make a second call to the Vet to make me feel better.... My husband said that anything could happen while he's asleep and what if he dont never wake up.... That was so Mean of Him.... I guess it's a Man thing... Bushi is still Getting Neauterd, because it's the best thing to do..... Right?

Well i'll keep you guys posted.......

Jan 7th Bushi's big Day.....
Keep him in your Prayers......

Love Bushi's Mom

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes it is the best thing....i worked in a vet for 7 years and my vet has been in practice since 86 he has never lost a dog in surgery to a neuter or spay. it is pretty safe and if u run blood work before hand then this gives the vet an idea if ur pup can tolerate the anesthesia.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts