Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
So, on Saturday night I was getting ready to bathe Teddy and I notice that on his left eye, on his lower eye lid, it looked like he has a sty? It's purplish/pink, right on the outside of the lid. It is not oozing or anything, it seems solid and there is no indication that there is an infection. His eyes are clear.
His hair has been a little out of control around his face, so Sunday my mom helped me to clip away a lot of excess hair around his face/eyes. Now he can see better. My mom thinks it might be the cause of an ingrown hair? I also have some solution for dogs to flush their eyes out after baths/grooming, it contains boric acid (sp?) -- my mom's a nurse, and she said that's what they give for stys for people.

This is my first Maltese - and I'm not quite sure if this is common? I know their eye lashes can be problematic, but I need any advice you could give on this sty? It doesn't appear to be geting bigger. I'd say, it's about a little bigger than the head of a pin.
Anyone experience this?

You guys are the best! Thanks for your help!
Jackie & Teddy

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Is it actually on the lower lid or does it look more like a bit of the inside of the lower lid is protruding?

Could it be a cherry eye? Lady had a very slight one (not at all like the one in the picture) when I adopted her. It isn't dangerous. I had hers surgically repaired, but it's a cosmetic surgery.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/ce.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it actually on the lower lid or does it look more like a bit of the inside of the lower lid is protruding?

Could it be a cherry eye? Lady had a very slight one (not at all like the one in the picture) when I adopted her. It isn't dangerous. I had hers surgically repaired, but it's a cosmetic surgery.

It's on the lower lid - I checked and it is not inside the eye. Thanks for the website. It's not what he has. I'll search more tonight when I get home and try to send a picture

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut got an eye infection a while back. There was a bump on his upper lid (on the outside) and she gave me some tobramycin drops for it. I hope Teddy's okay!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You need to see the vet. To me, it sounds like a meibomian cyst. The vet can often pop them and then a few weeks of oral Clavamox and a topical antibiotic ointment usually get rid of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts