Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took a whole week, but I am finally feeling alot better about Chanel. She is the sweetest thing. I had so much anxiety about taking care of her and making it through the summer with enough money...but I am actually doing great. She is adorable, almost completely potty trained at 4 months old, her tear staining is slowly going away, and she is as playful as can be.

Thanks to those of you who read my super long post and gave me feedback about how normal my situation was, although everything about me is extreme...it really helped reassure me that everything was going to get better...it did...but what an emotional week it was! :eek:

Thanks for all of the support!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
So glad you are feeling better about it all.
These furbabies are something special! I never dreamed I was going to fall so deeply in love with mine.

What are you using to get rid of tearstains?

I have tried the peroxide...but really no luck. His eyes are just constantly tearing. I wash his face morning and night, and sometimes noon too. They are not terrible...but I would like to have them gone.

Anyway...give Chanel kisses and get us a picture to look at...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Aww, so glad for you and Chanel! I also want to see pics. of her! The only way I know how is to make a dogster.com page?

She sounds so cute! Casper is 7 months now, and still tearstaining. I also would love to know what you use!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You guys are so sweet...thanks for everything! :D

Tlunn, I am using the peroxide method daily. I get a Q-tip and dip it in the bottle to wet the tip and apply on the stained area. I get a cotton ball and put some water on it to semi-rinse off. I also heard to use Fresh and Clear eye wash for humans...something like that. I haven't used it...yet, but I heard it works.

Also, I am feeding my Chanel with bottled water, and I can actually see new white hair growing. The peroxide makes the stains significantly lighter, not disappearing all the way though. It has only been a week, and if it doesn't work after a while, I think I'll try that eye wash stuff.

Hope this helps!

~Elegant

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm...I think I need to clarify.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I am not looking for a quick fix. I was happy to find that the peroxide lightened the hair, as per my post. I also stated that if the peroxide didn't work in lightening the hair, I would try the eye wash stuff. Lastly, I was happy because using bottled water seems to be making a permanent change in the tear staining, as opposed to the lightening that peroxide will only do.

Thanks...

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Jul 26 2004, 01:31 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Elegant
@Jul 25 2004, 11:42 PM
The peroxide makes the stains significantly lighter, not disappearing all the way though.  It has only been a week, and if it doesn't work after a while, I think I'll try that eye wash stuff.
The peroxide will not make the hair completely white. The peroxide works on the same principle as human hair and coloring. For instance, a human can use peroxide to lighten their hair up to a few shades (this is what we are doing when we apply the peroxide to our babies). In order to completely whiten the hairs on their face, you would have to use bleach, just as they do when somene who has black hair wants to go blonde. But please DO NOT do this--it could cause your baby to go blind. I hope this clarifies the peroxide issue for anyone wanting a quick fix.
[/B]
Elegant...

Nichole is a hairdresser....LOL...that is where the technical talk about peroxide/bleach comes from...

Nichole,

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was looking for it to take it all out like it does my rug when I drip it on there

So...I will take back my first statement and say that "yes" the peroxide does help to lighten tearstains some...
I have trouble getting all the gook out of the tearstain spot..I have ordered a tiny flea comb that is supposed to help. I use an old soft toothbrush to do the peroxide and brush it through the hair as I do it...then I use a baby wipe and blot out some of the sogginess and try to get some of that gookie stuff with it.
Brinkley's are not terrible, but they would be if I did not TRY to keep up with it.
I guess I just get jealous of all the snow white faces... :ph34r:
I love him regardless-of course,
and maybe his will slow down when teething stops...when is that?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Lately, Pico has been staining so badly that his face is almost completely stained with the worst being under his eyes and it gets crusty. I got eye drops from my vet to clear up any infection and use Show Eyes to clean morning and night and it's gotten lighter.

Last night I had an epiphany. I remembered that the last time this occurred with Pico, I cut out giving him Honey Nut Cheerios and bought the bulk, no sugar, organic ones at Sun Harvest and the staining went away. Circumstantial? Maybe, but the last time I bought the cereal there they had changed to a sugar coated variety and he has been getting those daily (only about 4-5 pieces a day) but I believe that could be a cause. He gets bottled water only and his eyes don't water excessively but it sure seems his saliva and tears stain wherever they are concentrated. Like the eyes and mouth area.

So, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a no-sugar box of cheerios that I will have to give to the birds because it will go stale before Pico eats it at the rate I give it to him.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
elegant

im happy you are feeling better. i remember the anxiety i had when i got sprite......and ellie....and gruffi. :D its like you finally feel like a parent--responsible and adult-like. my heart always skips a beat when one of them is sick and we have to go to the vet. for example---sprite and gruffi were getting these red bumps ad it looked like it was infected....turns out they were bug bites. we have all three on Advantix now---no bites. yay! but i was seriously freaking out that it could maybe be chicken pox or something. i dont know. lol. there are times where i look at them and see their "human" qualities. <---like they look human its weird.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I tried the peroxide before, but only put a tiny amount on the hair, so I'll try again today with a good amount. He has some tearstaining. I wash his face everyday and used to use Eye Envy, but it didn't help. If I skip a day of washing his face he starts to get the crusty stuff too.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i notice that when we all wake up in the morning, all three have eye gunk. maybe that helps that i clean it every morning. i notice that stuff turns into the black crusty part on their faces.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm happy to hear technical information about peroxide and dying...thanks Nicole!

Okay...I thought I was okay, but...

This morning my friend calls and tells me one of her boyfriends favorite dogs was either poisoned or died naturally (he was only 5 years old!). He was a guard dog for a repo business.

Now I am thinking how horrible I would feel if Chanel or my other two dogs happened to die. I am so overly emotional, it gets really annoying. My boyfriend has been very supportive though, thank goodness gracious!!!

I know I am going to become super attached to her...I guess you have to think about that old saying...

"It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"...

What do you guys think? How do you deal with those thoughts?

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Jul 26 2004, 07:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Jul 26 2004, 07:01 AM
I guess I just get jealous of all the snow white faces...
Actually, if you look at Toby's face in the avatar and in his pics in the photo gallery, he looks like there is no problem, but a tiny trick that I do, before I take his pic is to take the beard hair around his muzzle and fluffy it up and push down the stained hairs under the fluffed hair. So in all honesty, he doesn't look that good on just any given day! [/B]
Cheater! You are SO funny!!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts