Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i am flipping out over something i happened to read over at MO. i'm not a traitor don't worry, SM fan down to the bone. but, i'm trying to find something for tessa's tearstains. while i was looking for threads to see if anyone has found anything that works. well i came across a thread that says MAKE SURE YOU FEED YOUR PUPPY EVERY 2-3 HOURS! oh goodness! i'm doomed.
okay so what the heck am i going to do? what if tessa gets hypoglycemia (hope i spelled that right, i can't even say it, let alone spell it correctly! :new_Eyecrazy: )

anyhow, tessa used to have food out all day and she ate a little bit all through out the day, she has a decent appetite, we call her "chubbs" but recently we've had a huge problem with ants! so we have to pick up all the food after each serving. i feed her 3 times a day at the most. she is 3.5 months old so i've been feeding her the right amount, well atleast i thought i was.

OH! and also i use NuVet Plus. it's a all natural vitamin that her breeder told me to keep her on for the first year of her life. i reseearched it and i think it is wonderful. i was really not into the vitamin thing, but this stuff is awesome and tessa loves it.

so, have i really messed up! PLEASE HELP!!!
i feel so
!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@May 6 2005, 05:17 PM
hey guys,

i am flipping out over something i happened to read over at MO. i'm not a traitor don't worry, SM fan down to the bone. but, i'm trying to find something for tessa's tearstains. while i was looking for threads to see if anyone has found anything that works. well i came across a thread that says MAKE SURE YOU FEED YOUR PUPPY EVERY 2-3 HOURS! oh goodness! i'm doomed. 
okay so what the heck am i going to do? what if tessa gets hypoglycemia (hope i spelled that right, i can't even say it, let alone spell it correctly! :new_Eyecrazy: )

anyhow, tessa used to have food out all day and she ate a little bit all through out the day, she has a decent appetite, we call her "chubbs" but recently we've had a huge problem with ants! so we have to pick up all the food after each serving. i feed her 3 times a day at the most. she is 3.5 months old so i've been feeding her the right amount, well atleast i thought i was.

OH! and also i use NuVet Plus. it's a all natural vitamin that her breeder told me to keep her on for the first year of her life. i reseearched it and i think it is wonderful. i was really not into the vitamin thing, but this stuff is awesome and tessa loves it.

so, have i really messed up! PLEASE HELP!!! 
i feel so 
!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60530
[/QUOTE]

My breeder said to leave food out all the time for a young puppy simply because they'll get to playing and may forget to eat and if there is no food there when they are ready, that wouldn't be good. As long as they are eating all their food when served, then you should be fine. I fed Kallie three times a day until she was about 9 months old or so. If a puppy is very, very small, then I've heard to feed them every 2-3 hours.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
first of all, relax. i'm sure tessa's doing fine.

lucy would get a portion of food at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and we wouldn't take the food away. we also gave her one biscut a day by advice of the vet. and she's FINE. she's 7 months old and thriving

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Don't let yourself get paranoid with all you are reading. Some of it is overkill. Alex was 10 weeks when I got him. I did not feed him every 2 or 3 hours. He never got Nutrical. He does not get vitamins. And he is still a life and kicking. On the contrary, his weight has been steady at 5.8 lbs since fully grown. Since he gets home cooked food, I cannot leave the food out all day. If there is nothing down and he is hungry he asks for his food.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Our puppy was only fed 3x a day for the first two months home. She was moved to 2x a day at 5 months. I have never heard of feeding every few hours for a normal, healthy 12+ week puppy. If you puppy is doinf well, gaining weight, happy, playful, and pooping and peeing on a regular schedule, then I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure whatever you are doing is just fine. Personally, I would rely more on what my breeder and/or vet would recommend on feeding than anything anyone posted on a website.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I have been feeding Abbey 3x a day since she was 3 months old. My vet recommeded this 1 because she was healthy and 2 to help with potty training. It has really worked. Abbey is now 19 weeks old and weighs 2.7 lbs and ringing the bell to potty! Knock on wood - but we've been accident free for 6 straight days now with Abbey ringing the bell each and every time. (Of course it hasn't rained for 6 days so we will see what happens then - Abbey hates going out in the rain!)

Abbey was just at the vet's last week and gained 2 more oz so she is still getting enough food this way. Don't worry! We all probably do a few things differently but as long as Tessa is healthy, eating when fed, and gaining weight - then I think you're doing a great job!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Relax and take a deep breath.....You are doing fine and all is well
It sounds like you have a normal healthy puppy and so there is no need to feed every 2-3 hours, if you were having problems and health was an issue that would be different, but 3 times a day is fine for your baby.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I've discovered that ants don't like all kinds of dog food. I used to feed Sir N science diet t/d. We had a huge ant problem. One day, the vet was out of the science diet t/d but had the hill's prescription t/d. Ants never went after it and Sir N liked it more, so we never went back.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@May 6 2005, 07:51 PM
first of all, relax. i'm sure tessa's doing fine.

lucy would get a portion of food at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and we wouldn't take the food away. we also gave her one biscut a day by advice of the vet. and she's FINE. she's 7 months old and thriving

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60572
[/QUOTE]
That is what I did with Lexi for the first 8 months or so. I then went to two times a day.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
When I got Sadie she was 14 weeks. I gave her the dog food roll (Red Barn) at breakfast and dinner, and left kibble all day. In truth she rarely ate the kibble except when she had her Red Barn. So all along she really only ate 2 times a day. I gave her nutrical once because I was worried that she wasn't eating enough. That was the only time and she's been just fine. She weighs a little less than 5 pounds and was 10 months yesterday.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks to all of you.

i don't think i have anything to worry about. tessa eats, but in very small amounts. i try to leave food out for her as long as possible. she runs around playing and gets a bite to eat each time she passes her bowl. it's really funny. she is gaining weight as she should be and i can't wait to weigh her. last time she was at the vet she weighed 2 pounds but to me she feels much heavier now. it's been three weeks. i wonder how much weight she's put on, i can't wait!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts