Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Doctors to find out why kidney function is not what it should be.
They are 90% sure I have Lupus but will need to do a kidney biopsey to be sure. I will have to be awake to co-operate (big baby). It will be outpatient, I need my precious Belle so this is good! I'm feeling very frightened and would like to know if any of you have had to have this (I hope not). I'm not receiving any support from my husband, he acts like he is glad I have to go thru this and is making it worse for me. Anyone have a word of encouragement or had this done? Thanks for any input ~ Jackie

·
Registered
942 Posts
Wow, so sorry to hear about that. I haven't had this done, but I wanted to express my concern. Why is your husband happy you have to go through this?

~Elegant

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Jackie,

I've never had this done before but I just wanted to wish you well. Its great that this is an outpatient procedure, you can go right home and get in bed with Belle! As far as the DH goes....sounds like he needs to sleep on the couch for awhile!

Take care and let us all know how you're doing

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Gee I am very sorry you have to go through this. I haven't had it done myself either but I just want to wish you all the best and I hope all goes ok for you.
Your hubby needs a good kick in the rear end, he should be a little more supportive and sympathetic as you need him to help you through this.
I sure will be thinking of you and praying that it isn't too uncomfortable for you

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Jackie,

First let me say I am so sorry that you are going through this...and that your perception is that your husband is not being supportive. Husbands sometimes get scared themselves when something like this happens and they don't always respond the normal way you have come to expect. Does not help I know, but it could be why he is acting funny....terror does that to everyone differently.

Now, although I can't help you with that specific test I have gone through almost every other test they can think of...my body does not feel like it is doing me well if it is not admitted to the hospital at least 2 weeks a year and most years is more. Now, if you saw me you would never guess this, which is a good thing, but it is scary. I have an auto-immune disease which has and does reek havoc with most of my internal organs as well as my thoat, which will swell closed. (I live only across the park from a hospital so that if I cannot breath, they can intubate, which has never needed to be done yet, but close) I am in pain and on pain medication almost every single day with some days just excrusiating. I have been to the Mayo Clinic halfway across the country because they are the best at pulling all physicians together to look at the total body. At the moment I am going to Columbia Presbyterian in NY because they off the most expertise in a distance I can comfortable travel...I have been to Boston, Philladelphia, Rochester and I have one physician saying that there is a physician in Germany (I won't go that far). I have had test both that are wide awake and ones that I need to be sedated or put under for. I was even hooked up to electrodes for 3 weeks in hospital while they videotaped me the entire time I was there.

My point in saying all this I guess is to let you know that you are not alone in this...although I have been preliminarily tested for Lupus numerous times...I have never had to go through with the biopsy because the blood work comes back OK. Lupus is an auto - immune disease also, as are so many others.

I will keep you in my prayers and I will pray that your own inner strength will surface to help you with not only the test but your search for answers.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Personally I have never had this test but I wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Personnally I have never gone through this. I wish you well.
For DH even the couch is too good. He should sleep in the dog house.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I don't have any experience either, but sorry that you are having to face this.
Like the others said, maybe dh is hiding true feelings....maybe he is glad that you are going to find out what has been ailing you...not glad you are going through this terrible time. My thoughts and prayers are with you...

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
just remember all of us will be thinking of you, so hang in there! we are here if u need us!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Jackie,
I am so sorry that you are having health concerns. I will keep you in my thoughts. Please continue to post when you need to vent. We will listen and worry with you. I know that your sweet baby will be of great comfort to you while you go through this.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi Jackie, i have not had this procedure done b-4 but i have gone thru surgery and procedures and im not scared anymore, guess im used to it
But what i can tell you is that it is painful, my brother had a liver biopsy and you will be sore afterwards just rest rest rest and hopefully the doc will keep you comfortable. I will say a prayer for you and just try and dont be that scared if you can. Take care keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I am so sorry you are having to go through this.. My mother has lupus and she has lived with it for many years now and most of the time you would never notice that she was sick. We are all here for you but if you want to talk to others who have been there, here's a link to a fantastic support forum. My prayers and thoughts are with you. *HUGS*

Lupus Talk Forum

·
Registered
363 Posts
Originally posted by Maltese Adora-Belle@Aug 24 2005, 07:08 PM
I went to the Doctors to find out why kidney function is not what it should be.
They are 90% sure I have Lupus but will need to do a kidney biopsey to be sure.  I will have to be awake to co-operate (big baby).  It will be outpatient, I need my precious Belle so this is good!  I'm feeling very frightened and would like to know if any of you have had to have this (I hope not).  I'm not receiving any support from my husband, he acts like he is glad I have to go thru this and is making it worse for me.  Anyone have a word of encouragement or had this done? Thanks for any input ~ Jackie
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93809
[/QUOTE]

I also have an autoimmune disease that is in the lupus family. I had to have a liver biopsy. I am not sure if it is the same, but I asked ahead of time for something to calm me and they gave me some kind of injection that took the edge off my anxiety. Anyway, it is sort of like a long thin tube that they put in where you liver is and it takes out a tube like piece of the tissue. Sort of like amnio. They did mine in three places. I am not going to tell you it didn't hurt, but it was not so bad that I couldn't stand it. You just sort of do what you have to do to get well. Know that I am thinking of you and keep us posted. The sooner that you get tested, the sooner you can be on your way to feeling better. Take care and God bless.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello Jackie

I am so sorry that you got to go thru all this, yes it is very scary and stressfull.

I went thru a lot of testing and part of it was for Lupus, they did tons of blood work but never a kidney biopsy, does your ANA appears positive? that is the main indicator of lupus, my test appear with most of the caractheristics of Lupus but not that one, so thats why they couldnt diagnose. Are you going with an Reumathologist? (sp) I will get a second opinion before I let them do a biopsy of the kidney, or maybe they got the diagnosis of Lupus for sure and thats why they need the biopsy?

I know there is other ways to test the kidney function. This is something I can talk a little bit because I just got removal of my kidney (partial nephrectomy) was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer. So I guess it depends on each case and each doctors preference.

One thing I can recommend is that you search and read about any test or condition your Dr is saying that you will need. Go to MSN Health or Web MD and you can find the explanation of each test and what to expect etc. They also have some support groups for Lupus and other auto immune deseases, you can ask questions and read other peoples experiences.

I will be praying for you, and if you want to talk more about it you can PM or post a message.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here is some info I found about tests for diagnosis of Lupus, hopefully this can help you. I truly hope it doesnt scare you more.

Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exams and Tests
By Healthwise
Lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, or SLE) can be hard to recognize, sometimes taking weeks to years to diagnose. Lupus affects different people in different ways, and it can take time to develop the symptoms that suggest this disease. Your health professional will record your medical history and perform a physical examination, checking for the presence of certain criteria to diagnose lupus. These criteria are used to separate lupus from other similar diseases. A person with 4 of these 11 conditions will likely be diagnosed with lupus; 3 suggest that lupus is probably present; and 2 raise the possibility of the disease.1

Diagnostic criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus:
Butterfly (malar) rash on cheeks
Rash on face, arms, neck, torso (discoid rash)
Skin rashes that result from exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet light (photosensitivity)
Mouth or nasal ulcers, usually painless
Joint swelling, stiffness, pain involving 2 or more joints (arthritis)
Inflammation of the membranes surrounding the lungs (pleuritis) or heart (pericarditis)
Abnormalities in urine (test results show increased protein in the urine or clumps of red blood cells or kidney cells, called cell casts, in the urine)
Nervous system problems, such as seizures or psychosis, without known cause
Problems with the blood, such as reduced numbers of red blood cells (anemia), platelets, or white blood cells
Positive antinuclear antibody (ANA) test. An ANA test by itself cannot be used to diagnose lupus. Along with your history, physical, and possibly other tests, an ANA test can help confirm a lupus diagnosis. (There are many other conditions that can cause positive ANA results.)
Laboratory tests indicating increased autoimmune activity
Initial diagnosis and disease monitoring
If you have physical signs of lupus and a positive ANA test result, further testing may not be necessary. If your doctor feels that further testing is necessary to clarify your diagnosis, you may have one or more of the following tests:

Other antibody blood tests
Complement test
Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR, or sed rate) or C-reactive protein (CRP)
Complete blood count (CBC)
Urinalysis
Evaluating possible organ damage
As part of ongoing treatment for lupus, you may have a:

Urinalysis to check for protein and cells, signs of possible kidney problems.

Kidney biopsy, if your doctor sees signs of kidney inflammation. This test may help your doctor determine the best treatment for you. Only a small number of people with lupus need a kidney biopsy.

To evaluate other possible causes of symptoms, imaging tests are sometimes done, depending on which organ systems are involved. Imaging tests include computed tomography (CT) scan, echocardiography, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and X-rays.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.