Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I am new to this forum, but I've been reading as much as I can to get ready for the arrival of my new baby boy Maltese. I will be getting him at the end of August, but even so I have been trying to get all the affairs in order, like buying all the necessary supplies and things. The only thing I'm having trouble settling on is a good Vet Hospital around my area. I live in Seattle, WA (go to school and the Univ. of Wash) and I have asked various friends about the clincs/hospitals they go to but after researching them online, they got semi bad reviews. My question is what made you settle on the Vet that you chose? I'm also not really trying to spend an arm and a leg at the Vet either (I know after doing a bit of researching that a lot of animal hospitals wayyy overcharge on their services) but of course I only want the best for my boy :blush:.

Thanks for any help! It would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
744 Posts
My vet I know from my church and I loved her before I knew she was a vet, so that pretty much sealed the deal for me. To me, your vet should be friendly and truly care about every animal that goes into their building. And good vet will be, and you can tell right off the bat.

I say call and ask to chat with the vet and ask a few questions and feel them out, If you like them, bring your pooch in for a trial run of sorts :) Choosing a vet is a big deal (I think anyway) and you should be happy with your choice. If you feel uncomfortable, you have no obligation to stay, so make sure you feel comfortable with them :)

Good luck and take TONS of pictures to share here!!

~~Cheri & Vi~~

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had several friends recommend a particular vet to me. So I called him up and I was able to speak with him and a few other vet(s) in that office before I received Kodi...that helped take a load off of me. ;)

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Hi there, I live in Spokane, WA. Welcome to SM!

I can't give you any recommendations on Seattle vets, but I'm sure you will be able to find one that works for you. You don't always have to stay with the same vet, either...if you take your puppy in and then realize they are not a good fit for you, you can look elsewhere. Sometimes that's the only way to find the best one!

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Ask around. I stumbled on my vet in 1992. I was in an aerobics class and was telling one of the other ladies that I was getting a new dog and was looking for a vet. She said she was a vet tech in a different suburb but that she recommended my vet near where I lived. She said if she didn't work for a vet she'd go to mine.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I went through several vets for Nikki until I decided to use a vet I'd had for my previous dog for many years. Back then, I went through several vets with my previous dog until I found one I liked. It's really an individual thing. You might have to try a couple and see which one works well for you.

With Nikki, I went to a very well-known, highly respected vet, and we didn't "click" at all. I was shocked, because she came so highly recommended.

The things that are important to me are: A vet who will take the time to REALLY LISTEN, and even if they disagree with you on certain points, they will respect your point of view. Also, it means a lot to me if the staff is polite and friendly. And finally, I carefully watch how all of them treat my dog. Lastly, if they try to overcharge or "nickel and dime me" for every little thing, then I am out of there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There's a small locally owned pet supply store near my house and they recommended my vet to me. The owner and most of the workers take their dogs to my vet clinic that has about 5 vets on staff. I love my vet and I love the workers at this store...they've all been very helpful since I got my fluffs and everyone knows them by name. If there's a local pet boutique nearby, ask around and they may be familiar with the local vets. Many times they've heard about most of the local vets and can tell you who is good and who to stay away from.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will be sure to look into them more and choose wisely :)

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
I can't find it right now but I believe there used to be a thread pinned about looking for a vet. I used it when I was searching. It's what to look for and what to ask about. I visited several vets offices in my neighborhood and asked neighbors who they used. I really got a feel for the vet by just walking in the door and listening, looking and even smelling around. I wanted to see how the even the front desk people handled themselves. A couple of practices were real turn offs - they did smell, a couple were too busy, expensive, weren't there enough. I also asked each of them how much they charged for a neuter so I could compare prices. I ended up finding a practice that has a vet present 7 days a week and vet techs 24/7 which has been such a wonderful comfort esp. when Tyler had to stay overnight. It's also important to find someone used to dealing with small breed dogs. The day I visited mine, two malts were there and another was leaving. They get it. And most of all I really like my vet. She's very reassuring, is gaga over Tyler and he about her and very conservative about things like only giving one shot at a time. And the vet techs couldn't be loving my boy more. Hope someone knows how to find that thread about finding a vet. Good luck and welcome.:chili:

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
You can try the American Animal Hospital Association, if you go to the site it will give you a list of hospitals close to your house. I actually interviewed my vet:thumbsup:not all vet's are members but it is a good place to start.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I went through several vets for Nikki until I decided to use a vet I'd had for my previous dog for many years. Back then, I went through several vets with my previous dog until I found one I liked. It's really an individual thing. You might have to try a couple and see which one works well for you.

With Nikki, I went to a very well-known, highly respected vet, and we didn't "click" at all. I was shocked, because she came so highly recommended.

The things that are important to me are: A vet who will take the time to REALLY LISTEN, and even if they disagree with you on certain points, they will respect your point of view. Also, it means a lot to me if the staff is polite and friendly. And finally, I carefully watch how all of them treat my dog. Lastly, if they try to overcharge or "nickel and dime me" for every little thing, then I am out of there.
I agree with Suzan. While one person may love their vet, you may not find that same connection. It can be trial and error until you find the right one.

I loved my vet when I lived in New York and had a terrible time finding a new one when I moved to Raleigh. There were plenty to choose from - it seemed like there was one every block or so. I went through several before I found the perfect vet. When I did, I hit the jackpot because there were two in the four vet practice that I adored!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm not sure how old you are, but guessing you are fairly young as I think I read in your post you are still in school.

As you age, how you relate to others helps. You get a sense about them with experience, not judging, but a sense of whether or not you will be able to easily talk with them and develop a relationship...working or otherwise.

I was with a vet for several years. He was good with surgery and preventative care, but acute care was another story. The acute care issue ended the relationship.

I was unsure after being with the same vet for 12 yrs where to begin. I had a friend who was in a position to share some inside information that helped me choose. Since I still had my little rescue boy at that time, and he was in the end stage of CHF, I was on guard. In my case, I had lost my first malt in a bad experience with my vet of 12 yrs, so I needed & wanted to get a feel for the clinics. I was blessed enough that the vets understood why it was important. I think I might have paid 1 consultation fee for the visits I made. Most waived the fee.

Now your case is different, so I would be interested in word of mouth, vet experience in preventative care (vaccinations and schedules....i.e., do they over vaccinate?), acute care, and surgery. I would be interested in years of experience too. That you can probably find online if you have found a site to research vets. I didnt' know about those sites when I was looking.

Sometimes, things just feel right...and in our case, the new vet we chose did. We just love him. Even my little rescue did. He wasn't afraid of him, and I could feel free to leave him there if I couldn't be with him (due to the seizing at end stage CHF). The vet tech was amazing with him too.

I would say...do your research online, but then when you have it narrowed down...go and get a feel for the place, the staff, and the doc or docs. No matter how nice a place may look, if it doesn't feel right...walk away.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Starsmom, the thread was really helpful.

Listening to everyone's input has really been quite helpful! I guess my original quest in just finding one vet and trying it out won't work too well, so I will narrow it down to a few and do some test runs/ consultations.

Thank you for everyone's help! It is very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Northwest Veterinary Hospital (50th and Stone - close to Greenlake and not far from the U District) is worth checking out while you go about your search (great recommendations and suggestions for approached given by other members!). I had been using a vet closer to my home, but didn't have that 'connection' and found NWVH after being referred by a good friend. They've never let me down.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
When I moved here my vet from up north gave me a few pointers. Said to find an offic that was accredited with the AHA? And to keep her on heartworm year round. I asked some new friends, and went to this office. It was so different from my guy up north, well then we had an emergency and the office was closed. Just up the street was a vets office, and they could see my sick girl ASAP. I got the new guy! He had just graduated from U of Fl and was current on all the latest. He took care of her till she was 15 1/2. Then he took care of my Aussie for 14 years, and even did Vulfies surgery after he ate the Christmas tree. Dog had a rep you wouldn't believe! Now he has Spookie. He knows me, I know him. He has Yorkies. He and I went round and round for 2 years on ivermectin for Vulfie. It is toxic for herding breeds, and I finally got enough research for him, now he won't give it to those breeds.

Do I love him to pieces? Yes. I guess if the poodle hadn't had the emergency I never would have found him. My fur kids have been the winners!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts