Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forgive the extremely long post but I’m so excited about this product line that just a couple of lines would never do. I’m making this announcement a little early because I’ve not yet received the products but they are on their way. I’m just too excited to wait any longer. I like to use a product for at least a month before I make a decision so I’ve been anxious to share this for a whole month!

I’m really loving PurePaws. Zoe & Jett’s hair was in pretty good condition to start with so I wasn’t expecting anything really noticeable. But after the first use, I could feel absolutely no friction when combing through their hair using my CC Face/Paw Butter Comb. And they have full legs and tails. It was like going through butter. When I dropped off Zoe at G’ma & G’pa’s house the next day, they both (pretty amazing for my dad) commented on how super soft and shiny Zoe was. I took Jett to work with me as usual and a customer who is in on a regular basis walked in and said, ‘wow Jett, you’re all sparkly and shiny today’. So I was hooked…and am bringing PurePaws in to my store.

I know there were some past concerns here on SM about not knowing what the ingredients are. I have all the ingredients listed on my web store. In the PurePaws Line, every ingredient is water soluble and has a PH Balance of 7 or less so they would be considered ‘tear free’ and safe for puppies. The PurePaws line is perfect for those that have dogs in the ring, in full show coats, have problematic or damaged coats, or those that want that extra something special. As a plus, I have the ear of both Arlene, the woman who formulated the PurePaws Line, and of Ed Kennedy of SusensMaltese for those who have questions or certain issues they are dealing with. In fact, I’ve invited Ed to join this forum and he may be addressing certain questions or bringing certain things up in this thread himself. So feel free to address him personally if you like. btw…Welcome Ed! Both Ed and Arlene have told me if you have a Malt with some curl to their coat, you would want to use the Oatmeal Shampoo since it’s more hydrating. So it’s a real benefit to have some experts willing to share their knowledge.

As we all know from countless threads here on SM, Maltese have hair like we humans. And what works for one may not always work for another. That is what I really love about the PurePaws line. You can use different products together to find what works best for your particular Malt. So far, I have found that with my two, I really love the extra sheen & texture they get when I use the Ultra Silk. But I do notice that when using only the Ultra Silk, they can get some matting around the areas their harnesses rub or arms from clothing. But they do not have any matting at all when I used either the Oatmeal Conditioner or the Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner. So I’ve combined them and use them both. So far after a month, that is my favorite combination for conditioners. The Ultra Shine spray is also one my favorites and just had in a Shih Tzu with a pretty nasty matt behind her ear. So with her parent’s permission, I was able to easily remove it with the Ultra Shine Spray with no discomfort to the sweet Tzu. Also, with different breeds, the dilution rate can be modified. 8 to 1 is the most that is recommended while still having an effective product. But for the Maltese, I found out, and it was confirmed by Ed, that 1:8 is too much. He recommends starting out at a 50/50 ratio and go from there if you need it a bit stronger or weaker. There are times you may want to use the products full strength.

I think what’s fun is using them in conjunction with each other and finding out what works best for your particular Malt. But what I really love is that by using the different products in conjunct ion with each other, I’m confident that the PurePaws line will more than meet any needs of really any breed, any coat, any condition.

Here is a link to the Grooming Section of my store: Pampered Pet Boutique LLC - PurePaws

Here’s a link to the Maltese Breed in a line of breed specific grooming videos using professional handlers by PurePaws. The Maltese in this video is SusensMaltese Champion Pure Silks Susens Magical Sabina. And the gentleman in the video with her is professional handler Saul Romero.

Here are a few pics I just took of Jett tonight. I don’t have my good camera so he had to hold still for me and the only way to do that was to let him be all comfy and squished in his favorite spot. lol But I think you can still see the sheen that I’m talking about and loving. I gave him a bath on Friday and today is Monday. He's even gotten rained on and I think he still looks great.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
It's funny you should mention Pure Paws - I just got it out of the black hole, er, cupboard and tried it on Caddy. Didn't like the way it left her coat. Not sure if I'll try it on anybody else but i really wish there was ONE product that worked for EVERY coat!!! your crew looks amazing!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's funny you should mention Pure Paws - I just got it out of the black hole, er, cupboard and tried it on Caddy. Didn't like the way it left her coat. Not sure if I'll try it on anybody else but i really wish there was ONE product that worked for EVERY coat!!! your crew looks amazing!
Stacy, which products did you use on Caddy and what didn't you like? I'm hoping Ed will be on here either tonight or sometime tomorrow and can give people individual tips.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
which shampoo/conditioner do you recommend from pure paws, crystal? interested in giving it another try :)

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I'm sold Crystal as I've been wanting to try something different on Nissa's coat. But, I cant find the Ultra Silk shampoo that you mentioned on your site.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Well...now I am pretty anxious to try them out. lol I have been very happy with the Nature's Specialties line, but I am always open to trying new products!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Crystal, which products did you use on your dogs? I've tried the Pure Paws Ultra Reconstructing shampoo on Karli and it's one of the the harshest shampoos I've ever used. Her coat is extremely dry after shampooing her with it. A few SM members have mentioned they like PurePaws products and I've been wondering if it's something like hard water in our area thats making a difference.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
which shampoo/conditioner do you recommend from pure paws, crystal? interested in giving it another try :)
I've used both the Reconstructing Shampoo and the Oatmeal Shampoo and love them both. If Remy has more wave or curl to his coat, you may want to try the Oatmeal. My favorite combo for the conditioner so far has been the Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner and Silk together. I put one ounce of both conditioners (in one squirt bottle) to approx. 5-6 oz. of water. I'm experimenting to see what is the lowest amount of conditioner to water ratio I can get while still loving the affects.

I'm sold Crystal as I've been wanting to try something different on Nissa's coat. But, I cant find the Ultra Silk shampoo that you mentioned on your site.
Here's a link to the Silk Kim. You will want to use it mixed together with one of their conditioners.

http://stores.pamperedpetboutiquellc.com/-strse-869/PurePaws-Silk-Cream-Conditioner/Detail.bokhttp://stores.pamperedpetboutiquellc.com/-strse-869/PurePaws-Silk-Cream-Conditioner/Detail.bok

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crystal, which products did you use on your dogs? I've tried the Pure Paws Ultra Reconstructing shampoo on Karli and it's one of the the harshest shampoos I've ever used. Her coat is extremely dry after shampooing her with it. A few SM members have mentioned they like PurePaws products and I've been wondering if it's something like hard water in our area thats making a difference.
Which conditioner did you use after? And what dilution rate? If her hair was dry, definitely use the Oatmeal Shampoo, and then try the Oatmeal Conditioner/Silk combo. If you have hard water, you may want to use the Brightening Shampoo which also is a clarifying shampoo. But then you will want to be sure to use the Oatmeal Shampoo as the 2nd shampoo for this bath session.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Stacy, which products did you use on Caddy and what didn't you like? I'm hoping Ed will be on here either tonight or sometime tomorrow and can give people individual tips.

I used the Reconstructing Shampoo and the Deep Conditioner, diluted 8:1 and I didn't leave any conditioner in the coat. It left her coat stringy but poofy at the ends. Although she's growing out from a shave job so her coat isn't in the best condition to begin with. I like the brightening shampoo and use it before shows, if i need to.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used the Reconstructing Shampoo and the Deep Conditioner, diluted 8:1 and I didn't leave any conditioner in the coat. It left her coat stringy but poofy at the ends. Although she's growing out from a shave job so her coat isn't in the best condition to begin with. I like the brightening shampoo and use it before shows, if i need to.
I'm not even going to pretend like I'm the expert and have the answers for you Stacy but I know that Ed will have some for you. Here is part of an email exchange between Ed & myself that may give you some ideas for future use though. This email took place after I gave Zoe & Jett their 2nd bath using PurePaws and I used only the Ultra Reconstruction Shampoo and Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner both at 8:1. That's when I discovered that 8:1 is NOT the correct ratio for Maltese. I wasn't thrilled after that particular combination. But when I mix the Silk and one of the conditioners together, that seems to be the perfect combo for my two.

BODY,.aolmailheader {font-size:10pt; color:black; font-family:Arial;} a.aolmailheader:link {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:visited {color:magenta; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:active {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:hover {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} As you know the Maltese coat can be different from dog to dog, so there may be a little experimentation before you find the right combination. I will go through a few combinations that we use and you can try them and see what works best for you.

First I will start by saying that the Brightening shampoo does not contain any coat conditioners and you will always need to follow with a conditioner when you use it on any drop coated breed. The Reconstructing and the Oatmeal both have coat condtioners but on the Maltese we always follow with condtioners also. You will also find that the dilution of the products will need to be less for the Maltese. When you mentioned that you used the Moisturizing conditioner on yours diluted 8 to 1 that was too thin for the Maltese coat. Here is one of the routines that we do.

1st bath Brightening Shampoo Depending on coat length and texture 50\50 mix or less
2nd bath No Rinse Shampoo same
3rd Bath Reconstructing Same

Most people are not going to shampoo there dog three times. What we are doing is the brightening is great to strip and clean the coat and add optical brighteners. The no rinse contains ordor eliminators and optical brighteners. The reconstructing puts moisture back into the skin and coat.
You can also use the oatmeal for the third bath. If you do not want to do all three I do have handlers that will mix the brightening and no rinse together and bath that way. Some of the poodle people will mix the brightening and the volumizing shampooand bath their dogs that way.

After rinsing thoroughly we like to condition the coat and then take a wood rake with the two rows of teeth and comb thru the coat. Ilike to use the oatmeal conditioner for this.

Conditiner Oatmeal Pretty much staright (microwave it for 20 seconds) and work it thru the coat. If you work it thru the coat and let is sit for a few minutes it works really well to help remove any mats or tangles. I have found that the silk cream also works well for this but the oatmeal is more cost effective. I like to rinse out the oatmeal condtioner and then use the moisturizing conditioner as a final rinse. You can dilute it but I do not go any further than 50/50 and when I rinse it I leave some in where the water is milky looking.

After toweling some of the water off we will pull thru the coat with the wood rake and then mist the coat with the ultra shine and blow dry the coat. The ultra shine will add shine the coat.

Like we said at the begining it is kind of an experimet. What works for one of your dogs may not work for the other. I also on the show coats will use a cocktail of the conditioners on there coats becuase of keeping the hair in wraps. The ultra shine is also used when we flat iron the coats. I know that it all sound like a lot but the more you use the products and the more you are around them it will become easier for you. Arlene has taught me more about dog hair then I ever wanted to know. A long way from using dish soap!!!! Let me know if this helps at all. Feel free to ask any questions and contact me. The whole growth of Pure Paws has been a hands on working approach with handlers, and groomers as to what works for them and their feedback.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh...also want to add that the conditioners are heat activated so if you have mixed them up prior to bath time and they have cooled down, you will want to warm them up before using them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Crystal, I ordered all of their products as suggested by the vidoe & feel the same, Zoey's coat came out great yesterday. So silky & smooth. Thanks for sharing your review.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I have been using that product on Rylee for a while. I have been pleased but do not have the full product line. Now if she would stay as still as the model I'd really be happy.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I've used both the Reconstructing Shampoo and the Oatmeal Shampoo and love them both. If Remy has more wave or curl to his coat, you may want to try the Oatmeal. My favorite combo for the conditioner so far has been the Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner and Silk together. I put one ounce of both conditioners (in one squirt bottle) to approx. 5-6 oz. of water. I'm experimenting to see what is the lowest amount of conditioner to water ratio I can get while still loving the affects.
thanks crystal! i will give it a try as soon as i finish the products i'm using on remy now :)

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Thanks for the recipes Crystal. I have never used anything but the PurePaws shampoo and conditioner for Lola. The reconstructing shampoo and the ultra moisturizing conditioner. I also recently got the ultra silk to add. Also picked up the volumizing spray mainly for topknot and face and the anti stat but haven't really used them yet.

The only problem I have with the line is the strong perfume. It bothers my allergies somewhat.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the recipes Crystal. I have never used anything but the PurePaws shampoo and conditioner for Lola. The reconstructing shampoo and the ultra moisturizing conditioner. I also recently got the ultra silk to add. Also picked up the volumizing spray mainly for topknot and face and the anti stat but haven't really used them yet.

The only problem I have with the line is the strong perfume. It bothers my allergies somewhat.
Aw darn. My mom has terrible allergies to fragrances and she's totally fine with the PurePaws line. I was hoping if it was ok for her, it would be fine for anyone who has allergies to fragrances. The No Rinse Shampoo has a very strong fragrance when you don't rinse it out so you may not want to try that one.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts