Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and I are leaving tomorrow morning to pick Sassy up Friday morning. Since we're already acquainted with the breeder she has agreed to meet us half way in Montgomery, Alabama. It'll be a 4 hour trip instead of 7.5 to her house in GA. I'm really nervous. I just want to be doing the right thing. The breeder assures me that Sassy has been getting lots of attention and will blend into our household just fine. She suggested that we leave Sadie and Jolie at home so that we could give Sassy all of our time and attention and not overwhelm her. The breeder has been holding her for me until we returned from our trip to Vegas and until Christmas was over so she is the last of her littermates to leave. I wonder if she and Sadie will remember each other? Probably not but hope it'll all go OK. Last week a friend of my daughters had her Cavalier over here - a really nice, calm dog - and Sadie snapped at it several times. She loves Jolie and worries her to death. We were shocked that she would snap at Riley the Cav. I hope its because it was the first dog that she's seen that wasn't white. I might be really naive. If Jolie could accept Sadie, then surely Sadie can accept her own littermate! Don't you think? Isn't it normal to have some worries right at the last minute? I did all the way to pick Sadie up. I was worried about Jolie, worried about going through potty training, etc. I'm just a wreck about this. Sassy will be almost 6 months. That's not too late to begin training, right? She's potty pad trained and I guess that I'll leave that for a few days until we are all settled in. I went from one to three dogs in like 2 months. I must be crazy!

We'll be home mid day on Friday and I'll let you know how things are going. Thanks for being good listeners!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
how exciting! i'm sure it will work out. good luck to you and enjoy ur trip!
cant wait to see pics!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am SO excited for you!!!
You have talked about this for a long time...so even though you are having some last minute doubts, I know this is what you really want to do. It will be fine. I am riding the fence on the bringing Sadie with you. I understand the one on one attention...but I saw MomtwoMuffin's point too...hmmm...just do whatever feels right to you. It will all work out in the end.
Good luck...be careful...post pics soon!!!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
From everything I have read (and seen) dogs that are related don't sense any bond or connection to one another once they have been separated. A mother dog will snap at her own offspring, especially if she has a new littler and littermates don't recognize one another once they've left each other. The closeness you often see between littermates is in the ones who have remained together.

A friend has had a few litters of Golden Retrievers and had a couple of reunions. Although the dogs have fun with one another, no one remembered one another.

But don't worry. I'm sure everything will work out just fine! You must be so excited!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Dec 30 2004, 08:33 AM
From everything I have read (and seen) dogs that are related don't sense any bond or connection to one another once they have been separated. A mother dog will snap at her own offspring, especially if she has a new littler and littermates don't recognize one another once they've left each other. The closeness you often see between littermates is in the ones who have remained together.

A friend has had a few litters of Golden Retrievers and had a couple of reunions. Although the dogs have fun with one another, no one remembered one another.

But don't worry. I'm sure everything will work out just fine! You must be so excited!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26265
[/QUOTE]
I gotta agree w/ Lady's Mom here.. When my sister was picking up her puppy I brought Tuffy with us and he growled at his mom! But he also growled at every other dog there. He's anti-social. And although Tuffy and my sister's dog share a dad, they don't always get along, but I really think if they lived together they would have learned to get along by now. They really only see each other every once in a while.

Anyways, I think you are totally doing the right thing and althought they may not get along right at the start, give them some time and they'll probably love each other in no time! Good luck and drive safely!

·
Registered
219 Posts
YAY! Congratulations on your new baby!!

Apparently, the FDA has just issued a statement saying that quite like Potato chips, maltese dogs and handbags are similiarly addictive.

heh.

Congrats on your addiction!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts