Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was the very happy mother to Bijoux, an 8 month old AKC registered Maltese whom we purchased from a lady who seemed to have a very good, small breeding program in the DFW Texas area. Our boy's parents had 72 champions in their 5 generation pedigrees between them.. We thought we were getting the best possible puppy. And we loved him with all our hearts, and still do.
Our baby boy died of an inherited disease 4 months ago. We are ready to try to fill our empty nest, although no baby can replace him.. everyone knows how that works.

We are looking for a breeder with a very strong show program who occasionally has puppies for sale under a spay/ neuter contract. The puppy must be as close to the Maltese standard as possible.. we do not want bite problems, long noses or legs, a thin or curly coat, etc. even though we aren't going to breed this dog or any other we might have.

It is very important to us to be able to see the puppy in his natural enbironment and preferably to see his dam. We do not expect the sire to be on premises. Both sire and dam should be finished AKC champions, with bloodlines full of champions from well-known programs.

Health matters a great deal to us after what we went through with our little boy's breeder who quietly folded up shop and went out of business when her sold puppies started manifesting a liver disorder which kills most adolescents.

I am lost, not knowing where to go. I know about the AMA site, but I am not convinced that their list is " the Bible" list for all great breeding programs.

Any help is apppreciated. Price is NOT a concern. Quality, and extreme ethcis are. Thank you for reading., and thank you very much if you can help us find a little boy, probably after the holidays. We are not trying to " get a puppy for Christmas".. He will be our child.
Lilly

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Im very sorry to hear of your loss. So sad, at such a young age.

I think you will find many here who will be able to offer advice & suggestions. (I'm no help here sorry, I'm in Australia!)

Good luck in your search!

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, I also lost a maltese to Liver disease, she was just 5. My little girl Ellie was also from the DFW area.

Cathy

·
Registered
240 Posts
We got our little Summer from Pashes Maltese in Texas. I would definitely recommend them. I believe there are other really good breeders in Texas as well that others could refer you to. I'm so very sorry you went through such a horrible loss. Best of luck to you in finding the perfect baby for you.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I hope you find many good breeders here on SM. The only one I have experience with is Bonnie Palmer....Bonnie's Angels....maybe Bonnie can help you I hope you find the love of your life here....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am so sorry for the unexpected loss of your little one. It is such a heart breaker and so hard to recovery from. ;( Isn't Rhapsody in TX also?

Also, as this is a forum and some may benefit from sharing info, are you able to disclose which breeder it was? I know my Rudy has some TX breeders in his line (some that are no longer showing) and I would be very interested to know for his sake...

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. Like many here I too know what you are feeling. The loss of a fluff is devastating no matter the circumstances.

Are you located in the DFW area? There are many reputable breeders located in TX. Would you be willing to travel out of the DFW area or the state?

You are aware of the AMA breeders list, and there also is a list that was posted here on SM. It was compiled by a breeder/member (Tina) with input from other SM members -USA BREEDER'S

The 2011 AMA National Speciality is being held in the DFW area - it would be a great opportunity for you to meet breeders there - however, it is after your target date.
2010 AMA Speciality , 2011 AMA National Specialty Update

Here are some other helpful threads to assist you in your search:
MALTESE BREEDERS - How to find and evaluate
Breeders Health Guarantee

I am happy you found us before you started your search for your healthy baby. :Welcome 4: Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Welcome to SM! I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you can find that special pup soon. Rhapsody and Pashes are the ones that come to mind here in or close to the DFW area.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Lilly, please accept my sympathy. It's especially heartbreaking to lose a little one like that. I'm so sorry for the pain you had to go through. I know you're going to find a wonderful pup to fill the emptiness in your hear, though you'll never forget Bijoux.
I have had experience with Rhapsody since my Tyler was son of Chills-N-Thrills, co-bred by by Rhapsody and Chrisman. He is amazing and having just gone for his first year check up and getting a bile acid test done, he passed with flying colors. I would suggest checking on finding out if a breeder ran that test on the pup you are thinking of getting to know more about liver function after your past experience. There is a ton of info on this site to get info about looking for reputable breeders, contracts, medical issues, etc. Welcome and hope we can be of help.
I don't have first hand experience with Pashes, but a Malt I petsit and what helped me fall in love wit the breed has Pashes in his line and he's beautiful, sweet and smart. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Lilly i am so sorry for your loss.:grouphug: Two that come to mind is Pahes and Rhapsody and i have heard nothing but good things from these breeders and they have gorgeous malts. :wub: Unfortunately you cannot always go by the AMA breeders list and please always do your homework and ask tons of questions and then ask again before you decide no matter how reputable the breeder may be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all so much!! :)

The need to love a little one is so strong.. The websites I have looked at tonight are beautiful, as are the dogs, both grown and puppies. I know we have to take our time this time, especially. If anyone here has beautiful happy healthy Malts from breeding programs in the DFW area, please post what you are able to according to the site guidelines. I don't know what is allowable to say quite yet.

Let me allay some fears, if I may. To the best of my knowledge, the person in N. Texas who sold us Bijoux was NOT in business long enough to ever have a strong enough breeding program for her dogs to show up in ANY other breeder's pedigrees. She was a " dog hoarder". We found this out quite by accident. Her house was stacked full of adult dogs in cage on top of cage, but they were hidden behind closed doors.

Yes, other puppies which she sold have had the same liver problems .I have talked to some of their heartbroken humans too. All of our dogs were quite young, too young to breed, and all were sold with a spay/ neuter contract. The only possible repercussion in the future is if she sold intact dogs with a genetic defect to another breeder when she got scared due to this heriditary problem and immediately shut down. It is believed by some whom she stayed friendly with that she sold all of her breeding stock, but possibly also with spay/ neuter contracts. None of us know exactly what happened to the adult dogs she hoarded. It is quite unlikely that a strong reputable name breeding program would purchase her dogs because they lacked name recognition.

I cannot post the person's name or the name of her kennel because her daughter in law posts on many Maltese forums. Although I have done nothing at all wrong, I am too upset to deal with indignation or anger from a person who should be contrite and extremely sorry. Not with a disconnected phone, and with email bouncing.

I have lived though sad. I know sad. I am so ready for good, quality, happy. Yes, we are available to travel within Texas for a puppy for those who asked. Oklahoma would not be out of the question but we would prefer to deal with someone in our state because we are probably going to need a bit more... not sure of the word... help.. in selecting another puppy and having confidence that he or she is healthy. Being here is very helpful to me. Thank you!!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I am so so sorry for your loss. I could not imagine how painful that is. My dear sweet Rocky is from a breeder in Texas. I think she could have been a puppy mill. I have learned so much from SM, that I would never repeat that again. I am hoping and praying my boy lives a long healthy life, but one never knows. Here you thought you were getting a healthy dog. Again, I am so sorry. Welcome to SM...you will find great friends here with so much knowledge. Blessings!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I am so sorry for your devastating loss. We have other members on SM who have tragically lost Maltese they unknowingly purchased from backyard breeders.

As the others have said, Rhapsody and Pashes are wonderful. If you are willing to go to Oklahoma, Tajon is also has a wonderful reputation.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
It sounds like your breeder may have been selling a lot more pups than you realised if she was hoarding dogs.
Liver Shunt is a problem in the Maltese breed and a very sad thing to go thru with a little one.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
The need to love a little one is so strong.. The websites I have looked at tonight are beautiful, as are the dogs, both grown and puppies. I know we have to take our time this time, especially. If anyone here has beautiful happy healthy Malts from breeding programs in the DFW area, please post what you are able to according to the site guidelines. I don't know what is allowable to say quite yet.

Let me allay some fears, if I may. To the best of my knowledge, the person in N. Texas who sold us Bijoux was NOT in business long enough to ever have a strong enough breeding program for her dogs to show up in ANY other breeder's pedigrees. She was a " dog hoarder". We found this out quite by accident. Her house was stacked full of adult dogs in cage on top of cage, but they were hidden behind closed doors.

Yes, other puppies which she sold have had the same liver problems .I have talked to some of their heartbroken humans too. All of our dogs were quite young, too young to breed, and all were sold with a spay/ neuter contract. The only possible repercussion in the future is if she sold intact dogs with a genetic defect to another breeder when she got scared due to this heriditary problem and immediately shut down. It is believed by some whom she stayed friendly with that she sold all of her breeding stock, but possibly also with spay/ neuter contracts. None of us know exactly what happened to the adult dogs she hoarded. It is quite unlikely that a strong reputable name breeding program would purchase her dogs because they lacked name recognition.

I cannot post the person's name or the name of her kennel because her daughter in law posts on many Maltese forums. Although I have done nothing at all wrong, I am too upset to deal with indignation or anger from a person who should be contrite and extremely sorry. Not with a disconnected phone, and with email bouncing.

I have lived though sad. I know sad. I am so ready for good, quality, happy. Yes, we are available to travel within Texas for a puppy for those who asked. Oklahoma would not be out of the question but we would prefer to deal with someone in our state because we are probably going to need a bit more... not sure of the word... help.. in selecting another puppy and having confidence that he or she is healthy. Being here is very helpful to me. Thank you!!
How fortunate for her you seem to have some misguided loyalty to this breeder/hoarder/miller. What's to prevent her from opening up "shop" again, and bamboozling other unsuspected buyers unless she is exposed?

I feel your pain, I truly do, exposing her would be a community service.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
How fortunate for her you seem to have some misguided loyalty to this breeder/hoarder/miller. What's to prevent her from opening up "shop" again, and bamboozling other unsuspected buyers unless she is exposed?

I feel you pain, I truly do, exposing her would be a community service.

GREAT POST -

PairsandRio - with all due respect, don't you want to spare others from going through the pain, that you have recently suffered? Perhaps you would spare fluffs a lot of pain also, if you exposed this "breeder" - I think that it's the only decent thing to do.

I hope that you reconsider.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
GREAT POST -

PairsandRio - with all due respect, don't you want to spare others from going through the pain, that you have recently suffered? Perhaps you would spare fluffs a lot of pain also, if you exposed this "breeder" - I think that it's the only decent thing to do.

I hope that you reconsider.
With all due respect also, I'm quite sure it wasn't the intention of the original poster to slander or expose anyone, she has just lost a loved family member & came here for suggestions & advice on finding her new baby - I know you have every good intention also, but this breeder is no longer breeding - let it rest. It wont help to re-hash the past.

Forgive me in advance for expressing my opinion, I just don't want to see this thread turn into a drama.

Lets look forward, not back.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.