Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This puppy searching has not been going good... I've contacted breeders near me from the AMA list and they are asking $1700 and up for their pups... I know the quality is there but wow! Plus I would have to add on the airfare of me flying. So I also looked on Petfinder and all of the malts that caught my eye were being sold with coule of other pages of other breeds from the same breeder. I really appreciate all the great advice from you guys but I am so disappointed; i've been looking for a l o n g time. So maybe me having a pup was not meant to be or at least thats what I feel like! Sorry for the rant guys!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by puppy*luv@May 6 2004, 01:54 PM
This puppy searching has not been going good... I've contacted breeders near me from the AMA list and they are asking $1700 and up for their pups... I know the quality is there but wow! Plus I would have to add on the airfare of me flying. So I also looked on Petfinder and all of the malts that caught my eye were being sold with coule of other pages of other breeds from the same breeder. I really appreciate all the great advice from you guys but I am so disappointed; i've been looking for a l o n g time. So maybe me having a pup was not meant to be or at least thats what I feel like! Sorry for the rant guys!!
Don't give up puppy*luv, there's bound to be a wonderful puppy out there intended for you. And in the meantime, why not be putting a little bit of money away each payday to help pay for that new little pup? But above all else, don't settle for a dog from anything other than a good breeder. Buying from pet stores or places like Petfinder simply supports those who do not really love the dogs and are only in it for the money.

J

·
0 Posts
Have you tried any of the breeders on this site? At the top of the page you will see "Breeders." I found a wonderful breeder that is listed on the site!! I looked for 9 months until I found a person that I liked and could trust. I am bringing my little girl home at the end of this month. Good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess i'm being picky but i'm looking for a pup that'll be about 5-6 pounds when full grown, won't have a long face, and no eye staining in the pictures (I know that sometimes it can't be helped but also, sometimes it might not run in all lines and can almost be bred out). So the ones that i've picked I checked to see the breeders other listings and many of them have several other breeds and 2-3 pages that they're selling. Okay, I guess i'm being picky!
So I today, I decided to register and pay for the 30 day unlimited viewing on puppyfind and it worked earlier today but now I can't view the (register to view) pages. When I log on, it takes me to the payment page. I refreshed and even logged out of my server and back in and still nothing. So I paid again to see in case it idnd't go through and still got the payment confirmation page, waited a few minutes and still can't access anything on that site for registered memebers! I'm not happy right now! I emailed them 2 times so i hope they fix this problem asap!!
Maybe I should just expect to pay near $2000. for a pup... *sorry for my rant
!*

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck on your search!!
I did find 2 good breeders in CA and I might purchase a pup. They're asking for $1500.
but i'm thinking its what to expect for this region. They don't ship so if I can get the right day off, i'll fly to get him...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Puppy*luv,

I can feel your desperation and desire to be owned by a furbaby of this lovable, beautiful breed. But. Big but. Please be aware that web sites like puppyfind take advertising from anyone who wants to list their puppies. No ethical breeder who genuinely cares for the breed will list their puppies there. They don't need to, first of all. They breed quality, not quantity and don't need mass advertising. They want to carefully screen potential owners and are careful in their breed lines to not pass on genetic abnormalities, etc. Larry Stanbury of Divine Maltese wrote a thorough explanation of the breeding process for purebreds and it is awesome when you know that your puppy has been carefully bred. Because good breeders don't churn out litter after litter indescriminately and because there are real expenses involved in consistently breeding good healthy puppies, the economies of scale aren't there. Thus, you pay the $2k to $5k for your baby. Puppymills put 50-300 breeding bitches in cages and breed every heat cycle. Many will still charge the going rate because they can. They maximize their profits by cutting out much of the care that ethical breeders give their breeding pairs. Just go to www.hollybellemaltese.com to get the whole picture.

When you purchase from a puppymill, you don't "save" a puppy, you simply deplete the inventory which will then be filled by another abused maltese mother who gets bred for another litter.

What I have learned in the years I've had Pico is that, if you can't afford $1500 or so upfront for one of these treasures, you can't afford the ongoing expense, either. Grooming, dental care, vaccination, training, toys, beds, clothing......it's less expensive than a human child but not by much.:)

I do have a really good suggestion for you, though. Check out the rescue groups for a rescue Maltese. Many people get these dogs and find they really didn't want to brush and groom and train and be stalked for their lap and so
give the dogs to the shelter. There, they are rescued by a group dedicated to the breed who find adoptive homes. To me, this sounds like a possible solution for you.

I hope I haven't been too harsh in this posting but I am passionate against puppymill type breeders and it takes real diligence sometimes to investigate where your puppy is coming from to make sure you are getting a healthy pup from an ethical breeder.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No you haven't been harsh at all but made a very good and thought provocing point!
Puppy find was just a suggestion from someone to help me maybe find a malt pup but I decided not to go through (see my first above posts). I can afford the price but I guess it seemed much compared to others who have gotten their well bred babies for a less price. I have found 2 good breeders and was happy to have every one of my questions answered as well as being asked questions too. Thank you & everone else for the support and great info! :D I do appreciate it! I am so glad timing was not right for me a while back for me to get a puppy. Being very uneducated about puppymills, I would of gone to my local pet store and purchased one. I would of lived with guilt of knowing what I was supporting! :ph34r:

·
Registered
994 Posts
PIcos
i totally disagree with you on puppyfind.com because i called a few of them and to be honest with you some of them had certain rules
one told me they wouldnt sell the tea cup female to me because of my maxi's size...Another had a whole long thing to fill out and wanted me to fly there to meet them they don't ship
so although i hear ya on puppymills not everything is a bust!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Maxi'sMom,

I was happy to hear that some of the advertisers on Puppyfind appear to be on the up and up but, again, so did Hollybelle........What is needed is a healthy dose of skepticism when dealing with online advertisers on sites like this that are set up specifically for advertising, not for enhancement and preservation of breeding standards. The problem is that when puppies are to be shipped, as advertised on puppyfind, most people assume they don't need to see the breeder's facility, meet the parents, or otherwise do onsite research of the puppy's origins. For a careful and educated few, puppyfind MIGHT work, but I still have serious reservations.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Maxi'sMom,

I was happy to hear that some of the advertisers on Puppyfind appear to be on the up and up but, again, so did Hollybelle........What is needed is a healthy dose of skepticism when dealing with online advertisers on sites like this that are set up specifically for advertising, not for enhancement and preservation of breeding standards. The problem is that when puppies are to be shipped, as advertised on puppyfind, most people assume they don't need to see the breeder's facility, meet the parents, or otherwise do onsite research of the puppy's origins. For a careful and educated few, puppyfind MIGHT work, but I still have serious reservations.

Someone who has decided to purchase a puppy may find a breeder shipping an 8 week old puppy to them, which is extremely dangerous. Even at the recommended 12 weeks these babies are so small and still subject to hypoglycemia which can be fatal if not attended to quickly, that shipping is NOT recommended.

These tiny, basically helpless animals must rely on us humans to do the right thing. We must not let them down because we are the ones who domesticated them and built a huge industry around them. The downside is that, many breeds become so popular, like the Maltese, that it creates a profitable business for the unscrupulous or just well-meaning but ignorant breeders.

Whew! Enough! I'm stepping off the soapbox for now.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I agree there was one i spoke to that was willing to ship at 8 weeks
i was like why would you do that ...The ones that have rules are the ones that i like and believe are real some of these litters they are showing on there these babies are impeccable
but im not looking anymore after the other day , Maxi does not want a brother or a sister when i took him to see the ones i was interested in
maxi who is usually the most friendliest and loves other animals wouldnt give these 2 sisters the time of day
so for now its me and maxi!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts