Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been an ongoing problem for almost two years now. Our neighbor that lives behind us has two large dogs (one is a black lab mix and the other is a pit bull mix). The problem is they are constantly loose. They do tie the dogs up, but with rope! At least once a week they get loose. I have called animal control on them earlier this year and things were better for a few months. I take precautions before taking Wally or Toby outside to potty (e.g. I look out the door for other animals, etc.).

So today I went to take Toby out, looked out the door and everything was fine. We proceeded into the front yard for him to pee. We were walking back to the house when all of a sudden, from behind our gazebo comes their black lab, charging, growling and showing teeth! I grabbed Toby and started screaming for my husband. The dog lunged at us and then took off to our backyard. So I put Toby in the house and my husband and I go to the property line to get the owner's attention. The dog is still in our yard and growling/showing teeth at us again. So I guess the owner heard all the commotion and comes out. I start yelling that his dog almost attacked my 6 lbs dog! Then my husband says this is a weekly occurrence. They guy replies with, "He is a 15 year old dog! I didn't even know he was off the leash (Seriously, does that make it okay??)!" He has the audacity to get mad back at us! Not an apology or anything! Then he grabbed the dog, drug him back into their yard, kicked it and choked it!!!! It's not the dog's fault you moron!

I came back in the house and called animal control--AGAIN! Of course they aren't there today after 5, so I left a message and I will try calling again tomorrow and Monday. I am still so upset and shaking. Because of all of this (this isn't the first incident with dogs off the leash in our area) we have stopped taking the dogs on as many walks. I am so frustrated! We were in our yard, my dog on a leash and I feel like a prisoner! We can't fence our yard--it is and acre and the cost would be unimaginable!

Does anyone have any ideas? Know of anything we can do? I was thinking of buying mace, but knowing me, I'd spray myself!

Thanks guys for listening. I know I can count on my SM friends to understand my anger and frustration!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I also think a phone call to the police is in order. I would call them right away and tell them each instance the dog has been off leash, when animal control was called, and relay what has happened today. At the very least the police can issue a summons for the dog not being on a leash. Obviously if the owner kicked the dog that is animal cruelty as well. Chances are these dogs are mistreated on a regular basis. Poor Toby...I hope he's not too shaken up by this.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Nice neighbor :new_Eyecrazy: I think you have no other option then to get law enforcement involved. They will make a report, so if anything else happens you will have that on your side. Sorry you have a real jerk for a neighbor.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
1. Call the police.

2. Carry pepper spray...I know it sounds horrible but if I had a dog growling at me and acting like it was going to charge me I would have no problem protecting myself. In my area it is against the law to spray it but you can carry it...go figure. I figure if I am ever in that kind of situation I would spray and then deny.

3. Can you fence in a small part of your yard? I know you should not have to go to the expense of doing this but it sounds like your neighbor is a moron.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I agree, I would definitely call the police. You shouldn't have to live in fear of walking on your own property!!! And his poor dogs. If they are that aggressive, he must treat them horribly. Things should get better with police intervention.

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Glad all is welll....it could have been much worse.
I hope you can get something straightened out with them.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
That's awful. Maybe you should start saving up for a fence. Maybe your hubby can put it up himself instead of hiring somebody. Poor lil Toby. I'm glad you guys werent hurt.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
About 7 years ago Jolie WAS attacked by a Shepherd/Husky mix while she was on leash, walking with me around the block. I won't go into the details cause I've written about it before, but Jolie had to have emergency surgery and animal control ended up putting the other dog down. You are right to take action NOW before you or your dogs are hurt. I would tell you to do whatever it takes to remedy the situation, even if it means spending your hard earned money to put up a fence. I would hope that law enforcement in your town would give you some assistance. I feel for your situation.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Oct 2 2005, 02:31 PM
About 7 years ago Jolie WAS attacked by a Shepherd/Husky mix while she was on leash, walking with me around the block.  I won't go into the details cause I've written about it before, but Jolie had to have emergency surgery and animal control ended up putting the other dog down.  You are right to take action NOW before you or your dogs are hurt.  I would tell you to do whatever it takes to remedy the situation, even if it means spending your hard earned money to put up a fence.  I would hope that law enforcement in your town would give you some assistance.  I feel for your situation.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105440
[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that about Jolie...

I saw an episode of Animal Cops where a baby Yorkie was attacked and killed by a larger dog on a walk through town.
The bigger dog wasn't leashed.

We have some unleashed dogs sometimes on our walks too...it makes me SO nervous because Brink is so dog aggressive too. Even if something wasn't going to happen, I feel like his aggression could provoke something...so I am always a nervous wreck. I always pick him up if I see one off leash and try to keep him where he can't see it. If he was to see it, he would hurt me to try and get to that dog...
He has done it before and left awful scratch marks.

The other night at the little league flag football game...I had taken Brinkley and there was a guy walking around with a pit bull puppy. He saw me about the same time I saw him and I instantly picked up Brink and turned him where he could not see the other dog. The guy was stopped on the side of the walking track and had his dog on a tight lead (a chain with the spikey things on the collar
). He must have sensed my anxiety b/c he assured me that his dog would not move until we were out of sight. My heart was beating SO hard b/c I knew that if Brink saw that dog, he was gonna go bonkers!
I was just glad I saw him coming before he did.

I still think that HE thinks he is protecting me from them or something. I don't think he realizes they are all the same species as he is.

Anyway, hard to regulate it on walks, (that was my point)
but I would fence in the yard if possible....at least a small portion.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for you replies everyone--it really means a lot to me.

Well, here is the latest update and now I have yet another dilemma. Yesterday after I made the post (about 45 minutes after the incident) the wife came over (I've never met her before). She apologized for the dog and her husband's actions. She said he can't deal with people and he drinks a lot (not that it makes it any better, but does explain his attitude). She also said that she didn't want to make problems and wanted to live peaceful (as do I). She also said that she has been on him to put up a fence and will probably do it soon. She then said they are probably going to move in a few years. She also said that when both dogs pass on, they plan on not getting anymore. I told her that I wasn't mad, just more upset, scared and tired of the reoccurring situation. She agreed.

So now here is the problem, I had called animal control and left my name and number and they called this morning. I haven't called them back because I don't know if it is necessary for them to come out since the wife seemed so apologetic. What do you think? I feel that by having them come out I am beating a dead horse.

I don't want to be a witch and seem like I am making problems, but honestly my husband and I live peacefully in our house; we don't bother anyone and it always seems that we have problems with other people and their animals! I guess I am just frustrated!

I know some people suggested fencing in the yard or even just a small portion, but even that wouldn't work. We can't have the fence running up to the doors (the way the house is set on the property makes it impossible) and therefore, you would still have to walk to the fenced in area and that really kind of defeats the purpose--walking in the open where a dog can just come charging at you.

I have thought about wee wee pad training Toby, but then the problem is Wally. I can't teach him to pee in the house--that is just too much urine.

I am still welcoming suggestions and really appreciate everyone's input and moral support. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OHMIGOD! I didn't no more get this posted and I hear them screaming at the pitbull! I look out the window and he is loose running in their neighbor's yard! I feel like I am fighting an uphill battle! Do you see what I am up aganist???

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I would not carry mace, you do not want to injure the dog. But you could carry pepper spray or citronella spray with you when you go out . That would scare him off if he were to attack but would not harm him.

I would file a report with animal control. I know you feel sorry for the wife but that doesn't mean the dog should not be properly contained (for his own safety as well).

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Msloke@Oct 2 2005, 04:45 PM
Just think of it this way, if you let it go now and something really terrible happened on a future walk, could you live with it, knowing that you didn't act sooner?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105478
[/QUOTE]
You are absolutely right! I knew that deep down inside, but I hate being the neighborhood witch when I don't do anything! Somehow, I feel that I end up being the "bad guy" but when it comes to my furkids, I know what is right! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.