Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been ready to move back to the mainland for about 2 years now, but the dh was'nt. Well last Tuesday he told me he was ready.:aktion033: Even though this is not the best time to put a house on the market we decided to put our on the 1st of the year. We bought are house low so we still have equity in the house. We could stay and wait for the market to go back up but that my not happen for a long time. Because we both work for the military (telecommunication/information technology) we will be looking for jobs in Yuma and Sierra Viesta AZ. We will also consider San Diego but would like to be in AZ. If we sell and don't have jobs we will move to our house in Lake Havasu City AZ and continue to look for jobs. This is so unlike my character but I so want to be back in the mainland. I do love Hawaii but it is very limited here in may ways. I'm so looking forward to this next chapter in our lifes.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Want to house swap?:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: Hawaii's been a dream to me to visit one day but I guess you're right about it being limited.
It's funny when you talk about loving Hawaii but wanting to come back to the mainland. I kind of had that with Vermont where we had built our ski house in '86. We dreamed of living up there full time. Well after 9/11 that's what we decided to do to see if we'd have better quality of life and boy was the dream different then the reality.:wub: The winters were really rough, the parents at my son's school very petty and I missed all the things I had in NYC especially walking everywhere, so I totally get where you're coming from. Keep us posted. I'm so excited for you.:chili::chili:

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I understand where you are coming from.......good luck with getting jobs and moving back. Sue, I would suspect that anyone that lives in New York would never be satisfied any other place. :chili::chili::chili:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Mary, I will keep my fingers crossed that your house sells soon and that you and your husband find jobs quickly, too.

Sue, have you seen the movie Baby Boom (Diane Keaton, Sam Shepard)? Very very funny and worth watching. Did you have fun making applesauce while in VT? :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Mary, I will keep my fingers crossed that your house sells soon and that you and your husband find jobs quickly, too.

Sue, have you seen the movie Baby Boom (Diane Keaton, Sam Shepard)? Very very funny and worth watching. Did you have fun making applesauce while in VT? :HistericalSmiley:
Mary - I WAS Diane Keaton in that movie. There were the scenes of her going out to bring in the wood in a blinding snowstorm and all I could think was "I'm living a Diane Keaton moment." It was 16 below zero for two full weeks in a row!! The movie was made in our town and we went to see it there. All the movie "extras" were in the audience and yelling out when they saw themselves. So much fun and yes I do make applesauce.:blush: Sorry to go off topic Mary H(awaii)B)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Mary - I WAS Diane Keaton in that movie. There were the scenes of her going out to bring in the wood in a blinding snowstorm and all I could think was "I'm living a Diane Keaton moment." It was 16 below zero for two full weeks in a row!! The movie was made in our town and we went to see it there. All the movie "extras" were in the audience and yelling out when they saw themselves. So much fun and yes I do make applesauce.:blush: Sorry to go off topic Mary H(awaii)B)
I figured you were living the "all natural" life up there. And you look kinda like Diane Keaton, too. Hopefully you never woke up in a bed next to a pig. :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
I figured you were living the "all natural" life up there. And you look kinda like Diane Keaton, too. Hopefully you never woke up in a bed next to a pig. :HistericalSmiley:
OMG I thought you were going to say Sam Shepherd. Now that's not bad to wake up to.B) :back2topic:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just so you all know our electric bill was $600.00 :w00t: last month..are you sure you want to swap:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Just so you all know our electric bill was $600.00 :w00t: last month..are you sure you want to swap:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:
Sure! I'll use candlelight after sunset and cook in my backyard. Guess I'll also have to cut down on the TV watching, but I have a kindle so I think I'm set LOL :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Mary-Ann -- I'm so excited for you and pray that all goes well. What about Luke AFB in Phoenix? That might be a possibility too??

Anyway, if you're in Arizona, we could finally do a meet-up.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mary-Ann -- I'm so excited for you and pray that all goes well. What about Luke AFB in Phoenix? That might be a possibility too??

Anyway, if you're in Arizona, we could finally do a meet-up.
Lynn,

Oh thank you Lynn. We are considering Pheonix too. Trust me I have already thought how nice it would be to meet some of my SM family.:wub:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Congratulations on your impending move back to the mainland!!! Moving is always fun and exciting (well at least to me anyway)

Just wondering, can you give some examples on how it's limiting to live there? Do you mean in terms of getting other places? Do you really get 'island fever' and need to escape sometimes?

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
that's exciting news, i'm happy for you!!:aktion033:
hope all goes well with selling the house!

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
I have been ready to move back to the mainland for about 2 years now, but the dh was'nt. Well last Tuesday he told me he was ready.:aktion033: Even though this is not the best time to put a house on the market we decided to put our on the 1st of the year. We bought are house low so we still have equity in the house. We could stay and wait for the market to go back up but that my not happen for a long time. Because we both work for the military (telecommunication/information technology) we will be looking for jobs in Yuma and Sierra Viesta AZ. We will also consider San Diego but would like to be in AZ. If we sell and don't have jobs we will move to our house in Lake Havasu City AZ and continue to look for jobs. This is so unlike my character but I so want to be back in the mainland. I do love Hawaii but it is very limited here in may ways. I'm so looking forward to this next chapter in our lifes.

oh Mary:chili:AZ:chili: Yuma,:party: Sierra Viesta,:aktion033: your in my nick of the woods, or should I say desert:HistericalSmiley:lots of bases around this area. Make sure and keep me in the loop. ok

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congratulations on your impending move back to the mainland!!! Moving is always fun and exciting (well at least to me anyway)

Just wondering, can you give some examples on how it's limiting to live there? Do you mean in terms of getting other places? Do you really get 'island fever' and need to escape sometimes?

Yes I agree moving is fun. We used to move every 3-4 years due to being in the military. However I only did one tour in the mainland the rest were Guam and Hawaii but still got excited. As for how it's limiting, there are several. The biggest one for me is my friends, I only get to see them two times a year. You are limited in travel because of cost of flights. We miss getting in a car a driving, you can only drive around the island so many times. We jetski and of course you can only ski in certain areas. Somethings you just can't buy here, then if you want them shipped you pay extra or they won't ship at all. As for island fever, no I have never felt that way. Could I live with these limitation yes I could, but we just want to be closer to our friends and hopefully some SM members.:wub:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh Mary:chili:AZ:chili: Yuma,:party: Sierra Viesta,:aktion033: your in my nick of the woods, or should I say desert:HistericalSmiley:lots of bases around this area. Make sure and keep me in the loop. ok
Paula I so wanted to tell you yesterday but I thought I wait to talk to our realtor. Just so you know my offer still stands.:thumbsup: Wouldn't it be great if the house sells before you leave. Then I can finally meet my friend Paula:smootch:.

·
Super Moderator
10,244 Posts
Good luck with the house sale and the move! Sierra Vista is beautiful - I have friends who were at Ft. Huachuca a few years ago and loved it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts