Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to have Darla completely shaved today because her mats were so bad
. I felt really bad, but I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has had to do this. Hopefully, it will grow out fast. I tried to take some pictures, but she wouldn't let me. I think she is a little unhappy. I will try to post some later (since I finally figured out how to do it).

From now on I will be brushing her daily...hope that will help her not get mats.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Boo!!! I hate mats!
The first time I had to shave Naudie was when his hair was sooooo silky and long... I always brushed him, and he didn't mat very much. BUT one day, I let him wear this shirt and by the end of the day, I took the shirt off and it was as if he was wearing a white fur shirt underneath because it matted soooo badly!

On a brighter note, it's all hair, so it'll grow out in a few months... =]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi! I want to say I truly feel your pain and had to have my Maggie skinned as well. She had a matting problem and when I took her to the groomer she had no choice but to skin her. Oh, it was heart breaking and took months to grow out. BUT, now I have found a super groomer and it's funny...now her hair never mattes at all. I don't even have to comb her hair. I don't know what they use on her hair (and I was using top quality products before and brushing and combing her every night)...but the groomer explained that it's partially in the 'washing technique' and daily combings. She does such a good job I don't even have to comb Maggie. But, hang in there. HUGSSSSSSSSSSS! Just remember that the fur will grow back quickly but now she can run around naked for a little while and have fun!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! I want to say I truly feel your pain and had to have my Maggie skinned as well. She had a matting problem and when I took her to the groomer she had no choice but to skin her. Oh, it was heart breaking and took months to grow out. BUT, now I have found a super groomer and it's funny...now her hair never mattes at all. I don't even have to comb her hair. I don't know what they use on her hair (and I was using top quality products before and brushing and combing her every night)...but the groomer explained that it's partially in the 'washing technique' and daily combings. She does such a good job I don't even have to comb Maggie. But, hang in there. HUGSSSSSSSSSSS! Just remember that the fur will grow back quickly but now she can run around naked for a little while and have fun!
[/B]

Thanks. She never had matts as a puppy so I never thought anything of it...hopefully we can prevent this from happening again with daily brushes.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I had to have Darla completely shaved today because her mats were so bad
. I felt really bad, but I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has had to do this. Hopefully, it will grow out fast. I tried to take some pictures, but she wouldn't let me. I think she is a little unhappy. I will try to post some later (since I finally figured out how to do it).

From now on I will be brushing her daily...hope that will help her not get mats.[/B]
Look on the bright side, it is a chance to start over and Darla can wear those winter clothes with no worries of matts! Rex had his shave in July. I cried and cried feeling like I was a bad mommy, eventhough I thought I had been brushing him well. It only took about 2-3 months to get his hair back to the length it was. I think he was happier with short hair so I didnt have to brush him so much. Come spring we are going back to a short cut. Be sure to keep Darla dressed warm, Rex was cold when he got shaved and that was in the heat of the summer!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
We were upset the first time we had to trim Sylphide super short - she got very matted during the months that she "blew" her puppy coat and the adult was growing in.

I have to say that we soon learned to love it because it's so maintenance free (we do keep long ears and ponytails, as well as her tail). Sylphide just loves to be in short cut - she always seems happier in a short cut than when we grow her coat out.

·
Registered
841 Posts
[/B]
could ask her what kind of shampoo and cond. she uses on Maggie I would love to know

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am sure your baby is actually embarassed because she doesn't feel completely "dressed" without the coat. Many of our dogs have acted this way when we finally cut off that beautiful "show coat" that we all worked so hard to grow to perfection for a year - or longer.

They get over it very quickly and actually seem to enjoy the "new look" once they get used to it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bless her heart. She needs you to go shopping and get her some more clothes. That always cheeres my granddaughter up.
Larry, the picture of your pup is just divine
. Hope someday my Lacie or Buddy Boy will have hair that pretty. :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bogey's was shaved two days ago and he's miserable. The groomer said the mats were bad, despite our daily brushing. She said it has to do with him getting his new coat and the harness I've been using to walk him. I wish she'd had tried to demat before taking the razor to him but I think she was busy ahead of the holidays and took the easy way out. He's been standofffish, hides when someone comes to the door and has urinated in my bedroom...all very unusual behavor. I feel awful. I'm hoping some new toys and his favorite treat's will get him out of his funk. Does anyone know at what age the new coat comes in? Bogey is 10 months old. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Bogey's was shaved two days ago and he's miserable. The groomer said the mats were bad, despite our daily brushing. She said it has to do with him getting his new coat and the harness I've been using to walk him. I wish she'd had tried to demat before taking the razor to him but I think she was busy ahead of the holidays and took the easy way out. He's been standofffish, hides when someone comes to the door and has urinated in my bedroom...all very unusual behavor. I feel awful. I'm hoping some new toys and his favorite treat's will get him out of his funk. Does anyone know at what age the new coat comes in? Bogey is 10 months old. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again?[/B]
The groomers don't have the available time to spend on individual dematting .. So they will shave your puppy if they have too many matts... Where as if you do it yourself you can spend time removing the matts and save the coat.
I would suggest removing the harness, sweaters right when you come in from walk time. Then brush with a sprits leave in conditioner. Then use a comb to make sure all the tangles are removed. Ensure you have a good brush and comb. I would keep puppy in a puppy cut until the new coat comes in.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bogey's was shaved two days ago and he's miserable. The groomer said the mats were bad, despite our daily brushing. She said it has to do with him getting his new coat and the harness I've been using to walk him. I wish she'd had tried to demat before taking the razor to him but I think she was busy ahead of the holidays and took the easy way out. He's been standofffish, hides when someone comes to the door and has urinated in my bedroom...all very unusual behavor. I feel awful. I'm hoping some new toys and his favorite treat's will get him out of his funk. Does anyone know at what age the new coat comes in? Bogey is 10 months old. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again?[/B]
I understand what you mean about the unusual behavior. Darla was very upset for a few days. I felt so bad too so I bought her some new toys and some new sweasters. She seems to be a little better about it now and some good news is that her hair is growing back fast.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The groomers don't have the available time to spend on individual dematting .. So they will shave your puppy if they have too many matts... Where as if you do it yourself you can spend time removing the matts and save the coat.
I would suggest removing the harness, sweaters right when you come in from walk time. Then brush with a sprits leave in conditioner. Then use a comb to make sure all the tangles are removed. Ensure you have a good brush and comb. I would keep puppy in a puppy cut until the new coat comes in.
[/B]

The same thing happened to Jinx. It was so horrible. He was shaking constantly because he was so cold. I put a quilt on the floor and he wold stay on and not move from the quilt. It lasted two weeks. I was so upset. But now he is doing great and looks awesome. I hope this doesnt happen again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts