Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past almost 11 months that we've had Rocky, he has never destroyed anything in the house. :wub: I have left him home confined to the livingroom and kitchen for months now for four to five hours at a time on some occasions, mostly three to four hours. Yesterday my hubby took the day off and we left Rocky as usual with a treat. We didn't noticed anything when we got home. Today I was doing my fall cleaning and noticed the woodwork and a little bit of the furniture by it was scratched. The white baseboard was scratched down to the wood color of about two inches wide. Why would he do that? :huh: How was I supposed to react to it? :unsure: I saw it and said, "Rocky, what did you do there?" Not raising my voice at all. He walked away with his tail down. I didn't say another word, but moved the furniture in front of it. Later, I saw him over by the furniture looking for it! Do you think it was out of spite? I cannot believe my little angel did that. Still totally in shock.:w00t:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh bless his little soul. And I know you must have been in shock. But I'm a believer, a firm believer, that these special furbabies, don't do things out of spite. It's more either a boredome issue, or anxiety issue.

And when you pointed it out to him, afterwards, he did feel bad, because he knew you were disappointed or upset at him, but I bet he didn't know why.

My Flakey (RIP) did have a great deal of anxiety when left alone. Nothing near what you are describing, but it definetely was sepearation anxiety.

Maybe it was a one time thing. Did you just notice this? Or you know for sure it is something new?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be I put that devil costume on him and now he thinks he needs to act like one? :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:
I think he must have been bored. I know the baseboard wasn't scratched two days ago because I washed the tile and would have noticed it for sure. He has always been pretty independent, but I have been spending lots of time with him this week, more than the usual and maybe it was the sudden change? Did I react ok? What if he does it again?

Oh bless his little soul. And I know you must have been in shock. But I'm a believer, a firm believer, that these special furbabies, don't do things out of spite. It's more either a boredome issue, or anxiety issue.

And when you pointed it out to him, afterwards, he did feel bad, because he knew you were disappointed or upset at him, but I bet he didn't know why.

My Flakey (RIP) did have a great deal of anxiety when left alone. Nothing near what you are describing, but it definetely was sepearation anxiety.

Maybe it was a one time thing. Did you just notice this? Or you know for sure it is something new?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Could it be I put that devil costume on him and now he thinks he needs to act like one? :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:
I think he must have been bored. I know the baseboard wasn't scratched two days ago because I washed the tile and would have noticed it for sure. He has always been pretty independent, but I have been spending lots of time with him this week, more than the usual and maybe it was the sudden change? Did I react ok? What if he does it again?
That's it, it was the costume. My two get broken hearted when I leave too. I am with them soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.
I would just keep my eye out, and make sure he has lots of toys to play with, which I am sure you did, to keep him occupied. It could have been the sudden change. I can't even go upstairs (I have a baby gate by the bottom of the stairs, just something we do, as Leo has LP grade 2) and they sit by the gate and cry for me to come down :(. I have to rush doing what I am doing upstairs, so I can get to them.

But I defientely don't believe it was out of spite.

He is so darn cute :wub:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Dogs do not act out of spite. That is a human emotion/action often attributed to dogs, but it isn't in their mental/emotional capability. He didn't know that he did wrong, he was simply reacting to your voice tone and body language. Dogs don't know what is right and wrong like humans. They know what feels good and what feels bad to them.

Some things that they are motivated by: anxiety, fear, and boredom.

Hope this helps you figure it out.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Dogs do not act out of spite. That is a human emotion/action often attributed to dogs, but it isn't in their mental/emotional capability. He didn't know that he did wrong, he was simply reacting to your voice tone and body language. Dogs don't know what is right and wrong like humans. They know what feels good and what feels bad to them.

Some things that they are motivated by: anxiety, fear, and boredom.

Hope this helps you figure it out.

Perfectly said Suzan. These babies are not wired like humans, and never do things out of spite.

Agree with all that you said.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
My Lily is a pistol. She does fine if I'm home alone and then leave. If my DH is home and we BOTH leave, she will look for anything made of paper to shred. She has Rose to keep her company, too. My DH and I are empty nesters and we do spend a lot of time with them so she is a teeny bit spoiled.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Just want to add my two cents because of something that occurred recently at my home. My Mom bought me a new bathroom rug and I started noticing that someone (Toto or Tuffy) was pulling out the threads here and there but never in my presence. I assumed it had to be something about the rug that attracted the unknown offender. I put down a different rug and the same thing occurred. Toto is 10 years old and Tuffy is 6 years old. Even during puppyhood, neither of them were destructive other than the occasional wee wee pad shredding thing.

Concurrently while the rug episode was going on, Toto was not feeling well due to an inflammatory bowel episode. He is a stoic little guy (unlike his sister or me) and it's very difficult to know when he isn't feeling well, until he is quite sick. On the day I returned home from bringing him to the vet internist, the bathroom rugs were flipped over and threads were pulled out as if he was in a frenzy. I now realize that he had to be feeling so uncomfortable that he took to digging on the rugs and pulling out the threads.

It truly breaks my heart that I didn't realize how much pain he was in and I remained unaware. So if anyone else's baby develops this kind of unexplained destructive behavior, you might also want to consider a health problem as the underlying cause.

Deb

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
We never leave Ollie out of his crate while gone. He can get over the tension gate and I don't want to give him the chance to destroy something. He loves to sit up on the back of my DH's leather recliner and today I noticed he was starting to nibble on it. Not good! Get out the bitter apple spray!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Don't feel bad, Nelson had just now started eating the rug in front of our door. He's destroyed 2 already. Chewed a chunk of the baseboard off the post on our stairs.
Chewed through the phone wire, and chewed my moms Thermophore heating pad cord.
He's 1 now, go figure...I think he is regressing. :HistericalSmiley: He didn't do ANY of that stuff when he was a baby...

I just think he really really likes to chew, and I think we have too many regular toys but not enough chewy things. Do you have a lot of chew toys? He even chews on the corner of the plastic on his doggy steps, like way in the back of his mouth. I guess it relaxes them, dogs like to chew naturally. I need to look into some better bones or something.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
yes I agree with the others - this was not done out of spite. It was most likely the fact that he was given way too much freedom and was either bored or anxious. When something like that happens at my house, I never blame the dog. I blame myself for letting them be in a position where they were able to do it.

The devil costume is adorable!

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Rocky just got bored & lonely & decided to entertain himself. Boo's always had a taste for wood & when he's bored, he'll seek it out & lick lick lick. When he was a pup, he liked to gnaw on the coffee table. We just made sure he was over the gnawing stage before we left him alone & free to roam. That came at about 1 yr old. as best I can recall. Until then, he was crated while we not at home.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
yes I agree with the others - this was not done out of spite. It was most likely the fact that he was given way too much freedom and was either bored or anxious. When something like that happens at my house, I never blame the dog. I blame myself for letting them be in a position where they were able to do it.

The devil costume is adorable!
What Stacy says is true. Boredom is the ususal culprit. And when you ask him what he has done, and he leaves with his tail down, it is not because he is cognizant of what he did was bad. But rather the tone of your voice and your body language that he is reacting to. He may have too much freedom while you are away.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
My dogs love to eat window edging. It is something to chew on. I love the devil costume. Like everyone said, they do it out of boredom.

Experience the magic.....HOME

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
was Rocky confined to a certain area ? We have never had this problem with Alex because he was housebroken in no time and we could give him the run of the house early on. But we had that problem with our late lhasa. We confined him to the kitchen and he damaged the door wood frame.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rocky has the living room and kitchen. I close all the other doors. He's been on his own for several months with no mischief.:innocent:

was Rocky confined to a certain area ? We have never had this problem with Alex because he was housebroken in no time and we could give him the run of the house early on. But we had that problem with our late lhasa. We confined him to the kitchen and he damaged the door wood frame.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's so funny...a taste for wood.:HistericalSmiley:

Rocky just got bored & lonely & decided to entertain himself. Boo's always had a taste for wood & when he's bored, he'll seek it out & lick lick lick. When he was a pup, he liked to gnaw on the coffee table. We just made sure he was over the gnawing stage before we left him alone & free to roam. That came at about 1 yr old. as best I can recall. Until then, he was crated while we not at home.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with everyone is was boredom. He likes to be entertained. :HistericalSmiley:I will put some new toys down for him. He's been uncrated for months now and he's been so good. I understand he didn't realize what he was doing. Thanks...I needed to be reminded of that. Fortunately even my dh took it well...he adores him too. Thanks.

What Stacy says is true. Boredom is the ususal culprit. And when you ask him what he has done, and he leaves with his tail down, it is not because he is cognizant of what he did was bad. But rather the tone of your voice and your body language that he is reacting to. He may have too much freedom while you are away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts