Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning when my husband was holding Pipper and when he put him down I heard a big clunk. I was looking the other way so I didnt see what happened but my husband says when he was about 2 inches from the floor Pipper wiggled and fell from his hands onto his side on the floor. I wish I had seen myself because what he says is 2 inches could have been a lot higher than that. Anyways, Pipper then came to get breakfast and ate and walks around fine except he isn't holding his tail curled up, it's just hanging down. He never whimpered or showed any indication that something hurts other than his tail hanging down and he almost looks scared like he does when it thunders. I'm almost worried sick because I know something isn't right. I am waiting for a call from the vet but they are only open for emergencies and I guess they are swamped with emergencies today so they might not call today. Even when I scratch that spot on his back just above the tail that all dogs love you to scratch he won't put his tail up and normally he really curls his tail when I scratch his back because it feels so good. 馃槬

Edit to add , vet just called and she told me as long as he's eating and drinking and going to the bathroom ok and not whimpering he probably just bruised himself and to give him some tramadol and metacam that I already have here.

Have to add again that 5 minutes after I posted this he started doing zoomies around the house. Tail is still down but I feel better already.

Premium Member
They love to keep us guessing! It sounds like he is ok---maybe just a bit scared?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
When my husband walked him this morning he said his tail was up the whole time. He has it down a bit now so I think something is still hurting a bit but hopefully this means it's improving.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to trim some of Pipper's butt hair this morning but I could tell it hurt when I lifted his tail so I think he must have either hurt the tail or the muscle that makes the tail move. We will trim a different day. My poor boy.

Registered
This morning when my husband was holding Pipper and when he put him down I heard a big clunk. I was looking the other way so I didnt see what happened but my husband says when he was about 2 inches from the floor Pipper wiggled and fell from his hands onto his side on the floor. I wish I had seen myself because what he says is 2 inches could have been a lot higher than that. Anyways, Pipper then came to get breakfast and ate and walks around fine except he isn't holding his tail curled up, it's just hanging down. He never whimpered or showed any indication that something hurts other than his tail hanging down and he almost looks scared like he does when it thunders. I'm almost worried sick because I know something isn't right. I am waiting for a call from the vet but they are only open for emergencies and I guess they are swamped with emergencies today so they might not call today. Even when I scratch that spot on his back just above the tail that all dogs love you to scratch he won't put his tail up and normally he really curls his tail when I scratch his back because it feels so good. 馃槬

Edit to add , vet just called and she told me as long as he's eating and drinking and going to the bathroom ok and not whimpering he probably just bruised himself and to give him some tramadol and metacam that I already have here.

Have to add again that 5 minutes after I posted this he started doing zoomies around the house. Tail is still down but I feel better already.
Poor little baby! Keep any eye on him and see how he does and call them again if necessary. Glad he鈥檚 back to running around - it鈥檚 a good sign!!

Registered

My Maltese had a similar situation. I had taken him to PetSmart for grooming and when I picked him up he looked fine. I carried him out of the store instead of letting him walk. I noticed on the way home he was subdued. I brought him into the house and he walked with his tail down and he was a little bit hunched over. Of course I rushed him to the vet, who said upon examination it was clear that he had taken a serious fall. I immediately called PetSmart and learned, even thought they tried to cover it up, that he had fallen from the grooming table. Long story short, he needed a muscle relaxant and pain meds, but no bones were broken. The vet thought, based on the x-ray that there was a little slippage of a disc in his back. My baby never whimpered to alert me to his pain, so moral of this story is, its a good idea to get an x-ray, just to rule out anything serious, or anything that could become progressive. Best of luck!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
My Maltese had a similar situation. I had taken him to PetSmart for grooming and when I picked him up he looked fine. I carried him out of the store instead of letting him walk. I noticed on the way home he was subdued. I brought him into the house and he walked with his tail down and he was a little bit hunched over. Of course I rushed him to the vet, who said upon examination it was clear that he had taken a serious fall. I immediately called PetSmart and learned, even thought they tried to cover it up, that he had fallen from the grooming table. Long story short, he needed a muscle relaxant and pain meds, but no bones were broken. The vet thought, based on the x-ray that there was a little slippage of a disc in his back. My baby never whimpered to alert me to his pain, so moral of this story is, its a good idea to get an x-ray, just to rule out anything serious, or anything that could become progressive. Best of luck!!
The vet had said on the phone when I described the symptoms that it sound like something called Limber Tail. She said its most common in labs and retrievers. The pain was definitely coming from his tail. She said it should completely go away in about 3 days which it did. He is totally fine now. 馃槉

1 - 10 of 10 Posts