Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Thanks so much for alerting us to this!! Yikes!!! I don't use that food but gosh... how frightening!!!! I'll post the full press release here.

Important Customer Alert

Media Statement

Diamond Pet Food

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

December 20, 2005

Diamond Pet Food has discovered aflatoxin in a product manufactured at our facility in Gaston, South Carolina. Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring toxic chemical by-product from the growth of the fungus Aspergillus flavus, on corn and other crops.

Out of an abundance of caution, we have notified our distributors and recommended they hold the sale of all Diamond Pet Food products formulated with corn that were produced out of our Gaston facility (see complete list below). Please note that products manufactured at our facilities in Meta, Missouri and Lathrop, California are not affected. The Gaston facility date codes are unique from other Diamond facility codes in that either the eleventh or twelfth character in the date code will be a capital “G” (in reference to Gaston). The range of date codes being reviewed are “Best By 01-March-07” through Best By “11-June-07”. Diamond’s quantitative analysis records substantiate that Diamond’s corn shipments were definitively clear of aflatoxin after December 10. As such, “Best By 11-June-07” date codes or later are not affected by this notice.

States serviced by our Gaston facility include Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky (eastern), Main, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont, and Virginia.

We are rapidly analyzing retained samples of all products produced in Gaston so we can isolate specific lot numbers impacted and provide this information to our distributors, retailers and customers as quickly as possible.

Meanwhile, if your pet is showing any symptoms of illness, including sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat, yellowish tint to the eyes and/or gums, and severe or bloody diarrhea, please consult your veterinarian immediately.

Product quality and customer satisfaction are important to us. We pledge to keep you updated as new developments occur.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Wow ,very scarey thank you for posting it.I do not use it and hope no one here does,i have heard a few mention it though

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I think Charlotte may use it...I am gonna pm her the alert...

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
That happened about 10 years ago with Natures Recipe dog food. It was reported in the Animal Protection Institute's report "What's Really in Pet Food?"

In 1995, Nature's Recipe pulled thousands of tons of dog food off the shelf after consumers complained that their dogs were vomiting and losing their appetite. Nature's Recipe's loss amounted to $20 million. The problem was a fungus that produced vomitoxin (an aflatoxin or "mycotoxin," a toxic substance produced by mold) contaminating the wheat. In 1999, another fungal toxin triggered the recall of dry dog food made by Doane Pet Care at one of its plants, including Ol' Roy (Wal-Mart's brand) and 53 other brands. This time, the toxin killed 25 dogs.

Although it caused many dogs to vomit, stop eating, and have diarrhea, vomitoxin is a milder toxin than most. The more dangerous mycotoxins can cause weight loss, liver damage, lameness, and even death as in the Doane case. The Nature's Recipe incident prompted the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to intervene. Dina Butcher, Agriculture Policy Advisor for North Dakota Governor Ed Schafer, concluded that the discovery of vomitoxin in Nature's Recipe wasn't much of a threat to the human population because "the grain that would go into pet food is not a high quality grain."

What most people don't realize is that the pet food industry is a multi-billion dollar offshoot of the human food industry. The by-products that are "not fit for human consumption" are used to manufacture pet foods. Grains on the verge of spoiling can be used in our pet's food.

This is a must read article for anyone who owns a pet.

http://www.api4animals.org/facts?p=359&more=1

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Diamond is the maker of Chicken Soup. I hope there's no problem with that as well...[/B]

It wasn't on the list of the items manufactured at that facility.
Most of these items had Diamond or Professional in the name.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
First, I do not feed Diamond products.
I am interested in obtaining factual information on this. All day, the posts have been coming about this. Headings are reporting deadly dog food, that dogs are actually dying, and that dogs are becoming deathly sick. Yet, when the link is clicked there is no information supporting this. In other words, the authors of the heading does not (on several sites) have the information to support that dogs are becoming ill from this. If there is further information, please post the facts.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I am interested in obtaining factual information on this. All day, the posts have been coming about this. Headings are reporting deadly dog food, that dogs are actually dying, and that dogs are becoming deathly sick. Yet, when the link is clicked there is no information supporting this. In other words, the authors of the heading does not (on several sites) have the information to support that dogs are becoming ill from this. If there is further information, please post the facts.[/B]
The info I posted was a press release issued by the company quoted verbatim from its web site. Here is the link:

Diamond Pet Foods Media Statement

Diamond Pet Foods Home Page

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I am interested in obtaining factual information on this. All day, the posts have been coming about this. Headings are reporting deadly dog food, that dogs are actually dying, and that dogs are becoming deathly sick. Yet, when the link is clicked there is no information supporting this. In other words, the authors of the heading does not (on several sites) have the information to support that dogs are becoming ill from this. If there is further information, please post the facts.[/B]
The info I posted was a press release issued by the company quoted verbatim from its web site. Here is the link:

[/B]

I read those sites when I first received the information early this morning. I read it again after the information appeared on SM, then again prior to posting. There is no information documenting how many dogs have gotten sick, if any. Some of the posts were even calling it deadly, yet there is no reference to deaths being cause either. I think we can all assume dogs did have problems with the food, or there would not have been the recall. I was just looking for information that related to the topic headings being posted. Is there other information out there?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts

[/B]
I read those sites when I first received the information early this morning. I read it again after the information appeared on SM, then again prior to posting. There is no information documenting how many dogs have gotten sick, if any. Some of the posts were even calling it deadly, yet there is no reference to deaths being cause either. I think we can all assume dogs did have problems with the food, or there would not have been the recall. I was just looking for information that related to the topic headings being posted. Is there other information out there?
[/B]
The media release was just posted yesterday. From the symptoms it mentioned, etc. there is reason to believe that this is not something innocuous. I'm not sure there is a central database for keeping track of illness in dogs as we humans have with the CDC. Since this is so new, I imagine that once word gets out that vets will report it to Diamond foods and then perhaps they will indicate the number of dogs affected, etc. When Diamond says: "Meanwhile, if your pet is showing any symptoms of illness, including sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat, yellowish tint to the eyes and/or gums, and severe or bloody diarrhea, please consult your veterinarian immediately." it sound pretty serious to me....

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I so agree, K/C. When a company admits to finding a "toxic" chemical in their product line, and toxic means potentially deadly to me, then it is cause for concern.

In my industry, there are several recalls each year. I sell wholesale security, fire and closed circuit television. In other words, life safety devices. The recall letters we receive sound so genuine and caring. Come to find out, one company was aware for over a year of a problem with their smoke detectors not reporting back to the security panel. This was NOT an isolated incident. I have seen many through the years, in which the company was aware, yet did not act until numerous calls, threats and complaints started flooding their phone lines.

Just my take

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Warning for pet owners about potentially-deadly pet food

(WROC-TV)
Video: Low : High
12/21/2005 6:00 PM
(Cathy Orosz, WROC-TV)

The Christmas tree came down before the holiday at the Patrick's home in Victor. Sue and Bill Patrick said they simply couldn't stomach the holiday after losing five of their precious pets, all Labrador Retrievers.

The couple's been breeding Labs for 35 years and has never seen anything like this: dogs dying from liver toxicity, their pet food to blame. Vets at Mendon Village Animal Hospital were the ones who made the link to Diamond Pet Food, after examining the Patrick's dogs and several unrelated cases

1 - 14 of 14 Posts