Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had Lily microchipped with the same Home Again brand of chip that Quincy and Jonas are chipped with. But, since February 5th, the AKC Companion Animal Recovery is NOT administering the recovery service anymore. The AKC submitted all the contact info to the Home Again service and the lady on the phone told me that AKC is supposed to maintain that information for the pets lifetime, but they aren't administering the program anymore, and if AKC phone number is called and they don't have your pets info or the info is incorrect the two Recovery Services don't "talk" to each other. I found out the information the AKC sent to Home Again was incorrect--it had old addresses and contact numbers! I know I am rambling here, hope I am making sense, but the phone contact number on the tags is the old AKC number, and they may have old info or none at all! So bottom line: update your pets microchip number with Home Again (there was no charge-nice surprise) and then go back to AKC CAR and make sure their info is up to date.

Home Again:
http://www.homeagainid.com/

AKC:
http://www.akccar.org/
The new contact number to put on your pets ID is: 1-866-738-4324

This information applies to microchips implanted before February 2005 and registered with AKC Companion Animal Recovery (CAR)

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I called Home Again and they said they have took possess of the HomeAgain database on Feb 3rd. So from now on you would contact them to update records.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 9 2005, 07:25 PM
I called Home Again and they said they have took possess of the HomeAgain database on Feb 3rd.  So from now on you would contact them to update records.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88896
[/QUOTE]
Yes, that is true, but CAR still has the database as well, if your pet has the old contact number (which is the AKC#) on his ID tag like my dogs do the contact info would have been old/incorrect or possibly lost. Safer to just update both, and if your dog wears an ID tag with a contact number, update it to Home Again.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I haven't gotten a tag yet for Lexi with the microchip number on it. I keep meaning to but havent yet. Where do you get those from?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Answered my own question! LOL

You can order the tags from the HomeAgain website. They range from $6-9.

Anyone know if you can get tags with the dogs name and phone number (normal type tag) on one side and the Microchip number on the other side. That would be nice because then she would only have to have one tag instead of two.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, Just go to Petsmart and have them engraved. Of course they are one sided.
I had my dogs tag made from this place:

http://www.tanamostudios.com/crystal_pet_t...chor_dogcattags

which is why I was so upset about having to change the phone number. (I don't put my home phone number on the tag, just the recovery services number) Well, changing the phone number wasn't the only reason--if someone did call the CAR and got the disconnected number--I don't even want to think about it!
PS They have the most beautiful sounding bells. I just love them, a pretty soft tinkling sound.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 9 2005, 07:53 PM
Answered my own question!  LOL

You can order the tags from the HomeAgain website.  They range from $6-9.

Anyone know if you can get tags with the dogs name and phone number (normal type tag) on one side and the Microchip number on the other side.  That would be nice because then she would only have to have one tag instead of two.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88901
[/QUOTE]
I got mine at boomerang tags they will do a double sided tag and I like them because the letters are filled in with black ink so it's really easy to read. I have my info on the front and the microchip info on the back.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@Aug 9 2005, 06:45 PM
I just had Lily microchipped  with the same Home Again brand of chip that Quincy and Jonas are chipped with. But, since February 5th, the AKC Companion Animal Recovery is NOT administering the recovery service anymore. The AKC submitted all the contact info to the Home Again service and the lady on the phone told me that AKC is supposed to maintain that information for the pets lifetime, but they aren't administering the program anymore, and if AKC phone number is called and they don't have your pets info or the info is incorrect the two Recovery Services don't "talk" to each other. I found out the information the AKC sent to Home Again was incorrect--it had old addresses and contact numbers!  I know I am rambling here, hope I am making sense, but the phone contact number on the tags is the old AKC number, and they may have old info or none at all! So bottom line: update your pets microchip number with Home Again (there was no charge-nice surprise) and then go back to AKC CAR and make sure their info is up to date.

Home Again:

AKC:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88871
[/QUOTE]

I'm a little confused... Catcher has the Home Again. Are you saying we need to re-send the info to someone else now? Shouldn't the old registry have contacted everyone with this new info? It seems just awful that we would have useless microchips in our babies!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Aug 9 2005, 07:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Quincymom
@Aug 9 2005, 06:45 PM
I just had Lily microchipped  with the same Home Again brand of chip that Quincy and Jonas are chipped with. But, since February 5th, the AKC Companion Animal Recovery is NOT administering the recovery service anymore. The AKC submitted all the contact info to the Home Again service and the lady on the phone told me that AKC is supposed to maintain that information for the pets lifetime, but they aren't administering the program anymore, and if AKC phone number is called and they don't have your pets info or the info is incorrect the two Recovery Services don't "talk" to each other. I found out the information the AKC sent to Home Again was incorrect--it had old addresses and contact numbers!  I know I am rambling here, hope I am making sense, but the phone contact number on the tags is the old AKC number, and they may have old info or none at all! So bottom line: update your pets microchip number with Home Again (there was no charge-nice surprise) and then go back to AKC CAR and make sure their info is up to date.

Home Again:

AKC:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88871
I'm a little confused... Catcher has the Home Again. Are you saying we need to re-send the info to someone else now? Shouldn't the old registry have contacted everyone with this new info? It seems just awful that we would have useless microchips in our babies!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88937
[/B][/QUOTE]

Some of the info got messed up when they transfered it. They had down that my vet was in AZ! Ah, no try Iowa. They also had her birthday wrong. The date they have down for the date it was injected is wrong but you can't change that date and I figure it isn't really important.

To check the information you need to log into their website. Go to the Home Again site and select that you want to update your information. You will need to create a log in. Have the microchip ID number. You select to transfer it to your account and enter the id. Then you will be able to check the information they have on file and update it if you need.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No the microchips aren't useless, if they were scanned THAT info would go to the Home Again database--assuming AKC CAR sent them the correct info (which they didn't in my case)
If the person finding the dog just used the phone number on the Home Again tag, THAT number would connect to AKC CAR-- and they would hopefully maintain all the info on a database they were no longer contracted to administer. I am not saying they wouldn't have it, just don't want to take chances anytime down the road.
Both the older tags and the new tags say Home Again on them, it is the recovery service number that is different.
It took me maybe 10 minutes to enter all 3 dogs into both databases, and if you are already in the system with an older tag ( microchipped prior to February of this year), their is no cost. It only cost me $17 to register Lily, she was just tagged today.
Strangley enough, the AKC CAR gave very, very old information to the new Home Again registry, but AKC CAR did have my current info that I gave them when we moved here last October 2004, (which is before the Feb 2005 changeover)
I guess what I am trying to say is check both databases, and then make sure your dog tags have the current Home Again recovery service number on them

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry guys--didn't mean to be soooo confusing. I just found this out and I was very upset thinking my dogs were as safe as I could make them. I figured since they messed up on my info it could happen to others.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I just went in and checked Scooby's details and they are all ok, whew, but I guess we will have to get him a new tag with the correct contact number for Home Again on it.
Thanks for the info though Quincymom

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Aug 9 2005, 10:15 PM
I just went in and checked Scooby's details and they are all ok, whew, but I guess we will have to get him a new tag with the correct contact number for Home Again on it.
Thanks for the info though Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88980
[/QUOTE]

Where are the details located? Help... I need to check Catcher's details but can't find out where! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Ok here is what I did K/C, I clicked on the link that was posted here by Quincymom then I had to set up a password for an account and it told me I had to create an account so I did that and entered Scooby's ID number, that was when it showed that I already had an account and it gave me his details. I had to look around the front page to find the place to click on the create an on line account.
Does that make sense to you? I will go back in there a retrace my steps and let you know what I did exactly ok.

Ok K/C here is what I did.

Open the site Quincymom posted, on the front page at the top left it says "Pet Enrolment" click on Enrol Now
Then on the next page there is a place next to where you can put your ID and password, it says "If You" Click on that and you should get an enrolment form, fill that in and put the chip ID number on the ID tag you have for you dogs and it should come up with all your details, you might have to enter separate ones for each dog though.
I hope this helps you, I had to look about to get in there too but that is what I did.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts