Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl is scheduled for spaying in two weeks, but she just went into heat today...I have know idea what to do or even how long this last..help:unsure:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
You'll have to postpone the spay until she is out of season. Don't allow her near other male dogs or outside without a leash. You might want to cover furniture if she is on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had to refresh my memory of how that went as well. They go in heat 2 times a year (every 6 months). One week coming in, one week in, one week going out.) Oh yes yes remember to keep them away from male dogs. They come from out of no where. lol They do they do. Hope this helps. oh and they do bleed heavy at times so i always but something on the funiture.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Desiree... I worked at a vet hospital and the vets there all recommended waiting a full month after heat cycle to do the spay.. just check with your vet. Not only do you have to keep males away.. there comes point when your sweet female may think she needs to escape and go looking for a male. HORMONES!! :w00t: It will be an education..:blink: !!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh brother!!! ok, i will keep her under lock and key! Does anyone know if the panties and pads work?
Thank God her brother was already neutered!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
We did doggies diapers so our cocker could be with us on the furniture. We scheduled her for spay and she came into heat so we waited about a month to have her spayed. It's always hard to predict that first one.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Oh goodness, I would have to use pads and the little panties, with ruffles of course. I would not like her making a mess on furniture at all~~~

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Are there any signs for a girl that is going to go into heat in the next couple weeks for the first time? Bijou is 10 months, and I'm trying to get her spayed as late as possible, preferably before her first heat.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Are there any signs for a girl that is going to go into heat in the next couple weeks for the first time? Bijou is 10 months, and I'm trying to get her spayed as late as possible, preferably before her first heat.
are you waiting for a reason (like size??) to spay her or are you waiting for another reason? I would be so worried about waiting too long and then having a heat to deal with!:w00t:

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
are you waiting for a reason (like size??) to spay her or are you waiting for another reason? I would be so worried about waiting too long and then having a heat to deal with!:w00t:
I'm waiting because I'm trying to give her a chance to develop more fully before the spay (some people told me that the growth plates don't close until 1 year old), and also because of that longevity study about retained ovaries in rotties giving me doubts. Also, Bonnie recommends spaying between first and second heat, but I'm not sure if I want to wait that long. So I'm just trying to wait for as long as possible before first heat for now.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Leila is going through this right now, too. She pretty much has taken care of everything on her own. Aside from 2 or 3 drops, I haven't seen any blood at all. She licks herself a lot. This may also be unrelated but she seems EXTREMELY interested in a male friend of mine. Maybe she's looking for a 'boyfriend' .. :blush:

I'm waiting because I'm trying to give her a chance to develop more fully before the spay (some people told me that the growth plates don't close until 1 year old), and also because of that longevity study about retained ovaries in rotties giving me doubts. Also, Bonnie recommends spaying between first and second heat, but I'm not sure if I want to wait that long. So I'm just trying to wait for as long as possible before first heat for now.
I am not sure, but I think by the time you see symptoms, you'd still want to wait. What I mean is, I knew something was up when I was grooming Leila on her back and her...private areas..seemed a lot bigger than normal and a little more pinkish than the surrounding skin. The vet told me that was a signal she'll be going into heat soon, but by then they already didn't want to go ahead and do the spay because the area would already be more engorged with blood than it would normally be. I haven't noticed any behavioral changes, besides maybe a bit more clinginess and lots of licking herself.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
sophia - her little lady bits will swell up beforehand, but honestly at 10 months old and so tiny she could blind heat (no visible signs) and i think it is best to wait. its more dangerous to spay a girl that is in heat and its better to wait 6-8 weeks after her heat cycle to spay so her hormones have leveled off. you may notice a little personality change (she may be more focused on cass and he on her), but maybe not since she is so young. if i were in your shoes i would wait it out at this point. the heat cycle lasts about 22 days or so, bleeding (if any) is only for the first 7 days and then its just discharge but VERY fertile at that time. good luck with your little sweetie!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts