Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, This is my first post and I sincerely hope that you can help me. In reading through posts on this site I think it's obvious this is a very knowledgeable and caring group. We have recently lost our sweet Ellie at the age of 12. We would very much like to welcome a new Maltese into our hearts and home. We are in Massachusetts but are looking all over the New England area. We are at a loss. Ellie, a Maltese came to us via a friend and Katie before her (a maltese mix) turns out was a puppy mill dog, we had no idea at the time. We loved her for 14 years and she was a great dog but we really want to avoid the mistake of a puppy mill again. I really have no idea where to begin. I've read so may positive, then negative reviews of the same breeder online and I'm completely lost. We are looking for a sweet pet to love and spoil, not a show dog. Any help you could give with area breeders would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss 😢. Losing these beautiful babies... well they take a part of hearts with them.

Have you considered Maltese Rescue? If so, you may want to reach out to American Maltese Association Rescue. Sue (Snowbody on this site) may be able to help you with that. Here’s their link: American Maltese Association Rescue

For a list of breeders, this link might be of help: Breeder Referral by State | American Maltese Association

Very best wishes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am so sorry for your loss 😢. Losing these beautiful babies... well they take a part of hearts with them.

Have you considered Maltese Rescue? If so, you may want to reach out to American Maltese Association Rescue. Sue (Snowbody on this site) may be able to help you with that. Here’s their link: American Maltese Association Rescue

For a list of breeders, this link might be of help: Breeder Referral by State | American Maltese Association

Very best wishes.
Thank you so very much.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Welcome, Elliesmom! I'm so sorry for your loss :( You've been given great referrals here. I hope you find a new little one to love soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All, This is my first post and I sincerely hope that you can help me. In reading through posts on this site I think it's obvious this is a very knowledgeable and caring group. We have recently lost our sweet Ellie at the age of 12. We would very much like to welcome a new Maltese into our hearts and home. We are in Massachusetts but are looking all over the New England area. We are at a loss. Ellie, a Maltese came to us via a friend and Katie before her (a maltese mix) turns out was a puppy mill dog, we had no idea at the time. We loved her for 14 years and she was a great dog but we really want to avoid the mistake of a puppy mill again. I really have no idea where to begin. I've read so may positive, then negative reviews of the same breeder online and I'm completely lost. We are looking for a sweet pet to love and spoil, not a show dog. Any help you could give with area breeders would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
I’m in Tn and it took me months to find a breeder after we lost our 11 year old Maltese. I know I’m a long way from you but I found a breeder in Speedwell Tn. I’m not sure if she has any Maltese available right now, but she also breeds maltipoos, poodles, and yorkies. If your interested let me know and I’ll give you her contact info. We picked out our baby when she was 3 weeks old and picked her up at 6 weeks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Please research breeders very carefully. Unfortunately, some of the “breeders” that have been mentioned here are in fact “backyard breeders” or what some may consider “puppy mill”. A reputable breeder does not allow a pup to be adopted before 12 weeks of age, is involved in breeding to “show” etc. Research is key and we are happy to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m in Tn and it took me months to find a breeder after we lost our 11 year old Maltese. I know I’m a long way from you but I found a breeder in Speedwell Tn. I’m not sure if she has any Maltese available right now, but she also breeds maltipoos, poodles, and yorkies. If your interested let me know and I’ll give you her contact info. We picked out our baby when she was 3 weeks old and picked her up at 6 weeks.
Thank you so much for your reply. Can I contact you in the future if I have no luck in our area? With the state of things currently in the country it would be difficult to commit to traveling so far from home. Hopefully that will all be behind us soon. Thanks again. Happy you found your sweet puppy. Hope I can do the same soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please research breeders very carefully. Unfortunately, some of the “breeders” that have been mentioned here are in fact “backyard breeders” or what some may consider “puppy mill”. A reputable breeder does not allow a pup to be adopted before 12 weeks of age, is involved in breeding to “show” etc. Research is key and we are happy to help.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'll echo what others have said--a reputable breeder only breeds purebreds and the code of ethics for the AMA is not to let puppies go to new homes before they are 12 weeks old. Six weeks is much too young for any puppy to go to a new home, but particularly for toy breeds.

If you want to adopt a dog from a shelter or reputable rescue group, then adopting a mixed breed is great. But, it's not ethical IMHO for breeders to do mixing while shelter pets die.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Again, the only reputable breeder in MA is Cynthia Fern-king and daughter.
There are no reputable breeders in NH and only one in Connecticut, which is Melitica Maltese.
Summer girl posted a link...please use it.
Anyone else who tells you they are reputable show breeders from this area, is blowing you some smoke. They are nothing but BYB who don’t care about the breed. They are what I consider greeders, who only care about profit and not the health of these puppies.
I know this first hand. I’m in MA~ I fell for all the slick sale tactics when I got my oldest maltese. What I got was a very, very sick puppy who now, at 8 years old still suffers every day.
Do yourself a favor...take your time. Don’t rush, do your research and do it more. The right puppy will follow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts