Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a 6-year-old Maltese. I inherited him through my sister who passed away. The story is kind of sad. In 2008 she purchased him and he was always by himself. She was addicted to painkillers. She had him for about 6 months and decided to take her own life. He was on the bed with her and survived to be alone with her. She had been dead 3-4 days by the time they were discovered. He never left her side and was stuck on the bed(it was too high for him to get off). I am not sure how he survived that long without food or water. He was taken to the pound and a few days later I took him back to my house. He has been with me and my 17-year-old daughter ever since. He is a really good dog but he is in constant need of attention. You could have him next to you and be petting him. As soon as you leave the room he gets upset and whines. When I get up in the morning he is ALWAYS at my door waiting. My daughter does not give him much attention but she is not mean to him. I feel guilty not paying more attention to him, but if I gave him 23 hours of attention he would be looking for that 24th hour.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would get a second Maltese dog. They are much happier with a friend to be with all day. We originally had one, who got lost one day and we never got him back. So we went back to our breeder and decided to buy two dogs instead of 1. Best thing we ever did. They are so happy to have each other and two is really no different than one as they’re small and fairly easy to care for.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Welcome to SM - I am so sorry for your tragic loss of your sister...How very sad! My heart breaks for you and your family. Thank you for "adopting" her maltese. Poor little guy has been through so much too. Perhaps you can help each other hearts heal. Be patient with him and remember that maltese are companion dogs and love being around their people. Please keep us updated. Does the little guy have a name? 🐶 🐾🌻

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dog is a 6-year-old Maltese. I inherited him through my sister who passed away. The story is kind of sad. In 2008 she purchased him and he was always by himself. She was addicted to painkillers. She had him for about 6 months and decided to take her own life. He was on the bed with her and survived to be alone with her. She had been dead 3-4 days by the time they were discovered. He never left her side and was stuck on the bed(it was too high for him to get off). I am not sure how he survived that long without food or water. He was taken to the pound and a few days later I took him back to my house. He has been with me and my 17-year-old daughter ever since. He is a really good dog but he is in constant need of attention. You could have him next to you and be petting him. As soon as you leave the room he gets upset and whines. When I get up in the morning he is ALWAYS at my door waiting. My daughter does not give him much attention but she is not mean to him. I feel guilty not paying more attention to him, but if I gave him 23 hours of attention he would be looking for that 24th hour.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi, sorry for your Loss. Such a sad story. So glad you had it in your heart to go back and get him. He’s been through so much. Maybe you can have him sleep in your bedroom to calm the anxiety? He’s trying to tell you something that he’s at your door. They are companion dogs and loved to be loved and he may need some extra because he’s been through a lot and they always remember. Also he’s about 12 now? He possibly could be losing his sight. My Cody lost his sight now and he barks the moment I am away from him. It’s scary for them. So he’s like Velcro I could never see him sad he gives me so much joy more than anything. It’s all good if you give the 24 hour love they are such beautiful babies.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I am so sorry for the trauma you and this poor baby have experienced. It makes perfect sense that he would be very clingy. I would try to be there for him as much as possible right now. In a while, you can gradually start getting some separation. The first step is to train him to be in an x-pen right next to you. Then move the x-pen a few feet away, then further away. Make errands or time away from home very short and then gradually get longer. Keep him in the x-pen when you are gone. Make it cozy and secure. Getting another dog may or may not solve his separation anxiety. However, I have to say Zooeys separation anxiety got a lot better when she became part of a pack.

Reactions: Dixie's Mama

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
I’m very sorry for your loss and for the trauma your sister’s Maltese endured. I’m so glad you took him home with you.
He isn’t over that trauma by a long shot. He needs your understanding, love and attention.
Everyone has given good advice. I especially like the suggestion that you let him sleep on the bed with you. If you are totally against that for some reason at least let him have a bed next to you. I have my fingers crossed for the first suggestion though.
Please tell us his name and keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts