Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WE HAVE STARTED BREEDING MALTESE WITHIN THE LAST 15 MONTHS. SOMEONE ASKED ME ABOUT A TEA-CUP MALTESE..DO THESE EVEN EXIST. FROM WHAT WE HAVE SEEN IN AND AROUND OUR COMMUNITY OUR PUPS ( EVEN FULL GROWN ) ARE SMALLER THAN MOST..MOST OF THE MALTESE WE HAVE SEEN ARE TALLER AND ALMOST LOOK AS THOUGH THEY HAVE POODLE MIXED IN...I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD ANSWER THIS FOR ME..JUST WONDERING.. OH ONE MORE THING IS IT NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE NAIL ON THE INSIDE OF THE PAW. I WAS TOLD FOR SHOW DOGS IT IS NECESSARY...THANKS FOR THE INFO... MARY

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WE HAVE STARTED BREEDING MALTESE WITHIN THE LAST 15 MONTHS. SOMEONE ASKED ME ABOUT A TEA-CUP MALTESE..DO THESE EVEN EXIST. FROM WHAT WE HAVE SEEN  IN AND AROUND OUR COMMUNITY  OUR PUPS  ( EVEN FULL GROWN ) ARE SMALLER THAN MOST..MOST OF THE MALTESE WE HAVE SEEN ARE TALLER AND ALMOST LOOK AS THOUGH THEY HAVE POODLE MIXED IN...I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD ANSWER THIS FOR ME..JUST WONDERING.. OH ONE MORE THING IS IT NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE NAIL ON THE INSIDE OF THE PAW. I WAS TOLD FOR SHOW DOGS IT IS NECESSARY...THANKS FOR THE INFO...                MARY[/B]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Teacup Maltese

Hi Mary,

When people refer to "Teacup Maltese" they are referring to a Tiny Maltese. Teacup is a nickname for them as the AKC does not recognize this term. Some maltese full grown can be small such as 2-4 pounds full grown. The standard is up to 7 pounds. So basically Teacup is a nickname for a very small Maltese.
As far as dew claws, yes they should be removed for show dogs. I recently had a litter of Maltese and I had all their dew claws removed as I worry about them getting it caught on something when they get older and ripping them off. This has happened to others and the dew claw really serves no purpose. The vet did all 6 puppies in a matter of minutes and it runs about 10-12 dollars per puppy.
Hope this helps in answering your questions. :D

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
When people refer to "Teacup Maltese" they are referring to a Tiny Maltese[/B]
I have heard that some of the "tea cups" are more prone to health problems, not sure really, something i heard, or maybe dreamed :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard the same thing...the smaller the more medical problems. I dont know first hand though. I just got my first maltese 6wks ago...he is just a doll!! He is 3.5 lbs....supposed to be 5-6lbs full grown!!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
hey Coopers-mom just saw the pic you posted, great picture

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you....I could'nt resist, I'm not sure if he'll fit in the basket next yr so I took advantage while I could.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spaying pup before or after first period???

I was wondering if anyone can help me answer this question:

Is it best to spay a puppy before they get their first period or after their first period???

I have an appointment for the procedure for July 1st & I'm terrified that I'm doing it too early. She is over 3 months now & will be almost 4 months by July 1st. I don't want to breed her nor did I want to deal with a period but I am wondering if I should wait. Is she too small to deal with such a procedure? Is it bad not to let her mature? Help! :eek:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Re: Spaying pup before or after first period???

I was wondering if anyone can help me answer this question:

Is it best to spay a puppy before they get their first period or after their first period???

I have an appointment for the procedure for July 1st & I'm terrified that I'm doing it too early. She is over 3 months now & will be almost 4 months by July 1st. I don't want to breed her nor did I want to deal with a period but I am wondering if I should wait. Is she too small to deal with such a procedure? Is it bad not to let her mature? Help! :eek:[/B]
No it's not bad to spay them before their first cycle. Most vets will do the procedure around six months of age. With a male dog if you can get it done around that early age you may prevent them from hiking their legs and marking.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
It's pretty scary taking your little one in to have it done.
we took Maggie in last month to have her done but it so happened she just went into heat, the doctor wanted to charge us more because it was "more of a risk" when they are in heat, we decided we were not going to pay more if there was a risk of her being injured or dying, didnt make sense to me so we rescheduled

1 - 13 of 13 Posts