Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many of you only keep your furbaby inside the house? I almost never let Princess walk on the leash. She is usually in the house or in my arm on the way to the car.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampson and Maggie dont "go out" very often since we moved into this house, they have free rein in the back yard, when we travel Sampson will go "unleashed" and Maggie in her travel crate, Sampson will stick to me and listen to what I say, Maggie has her own plans and will take off, so she is leashed when Sampson is not, if we go walking near traffic, both are leashed

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sunny lives inside but he goes outside to use to bathroom and its a decent little walk to the road from our house so he comes with me down to the mail box or taking down trash its a really slow dirt road so i dont really worry to much about the traffic just keep my eye on him

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My babies go potty outside so they go outside pretty often. I don't walk them anymore. They just run around in the back yard freely since I have a fence.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie is in the house all the time. He uses puppy pads. I will on warm days take him out on his leash for a walk (not for too long though)... but he still wont go to the bathroom outside..haha..

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi is trained to go outside. She loves to play around in the grass. Right now it is too cold to play outside for more than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Fantasia is an indoor dog too. She goes on her pad. I take her outside every once in a while for a short walk or just to the car for a ride. She hates the park so we don't take her there and every person in this apartment complex that have dogs seem drawn to OUR yard and they never clean up after their dogs so Fantasia doesn't go in the yard ever. When she was a pup I tried to outside train her to potty but she got tape worm and I gave up. If no one is going to clean up after their dogs then I am not putting Fantasia at risk for whatever they are carrying.
Fantasia does go potty outside for a week once a year when we go to NC for Christmas. That's the most amount of outside time she gets lol.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
My puppy goes outside to potty, and is very particular about her "spot". She won't go anywhere else. It did cause us a bit of delay during a recent car trip...she really had to go but didn't like the rest stop potty area. After a few minutes of running around like a nut, she was ready. Since then, she's better about going in new places, but she still prefers her favorite spot on the lawn.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
well, its raining a lot now...so not recently. but they always go on walks. we go out like 6 times for 5-10 minutes. for potty time. and we go out like 3 times a day for 20 minutes. and on the weekends we have hour long walks and go to the park.

trust me...the more tired they are...the better they are. they are too tired to bark! lol

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady was outdoor trained (to cement) when I adopted her, so that was really challenging. It took me year before I could even get her to walk on grass. The only way she would pee is right on the sidewalk.

We're made lot's of progress since then. It took me another year to cross train her to pads, a lifesaver with these little fussy-about-the-weather dogs. She still prefers outdoors (on the grass now!), but will use her pad while I am at work, if she's not feeling well or we have 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Got a question for those of you with indoor only Maltese. How do you socialize them - or don't you bother? I lived in neighborhood with a whole network of sidewalks contacting townhomes, single family homes, even an upscale assisted living complex, so we see tons of people, other dogs, children in strollers, even older people in walkers. Lady is very social as a result and I can take her anywhere with me which is fabulous.

My friend who introduced me to Maltese had them for 25 years before getting the 2 she has now. These girls were the first she trained to be indoor only and she has had real behaviorial problems with one of them because they haven't been socialized or gotten accustomed to scary noises, etc. They are Lady's age, 9, and the one has terrible separation anxiety, wets on their mattress when she gets upset and barks non-stop if anyone comes into their house. The other one is much more calm.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley stays mostly inside. He is wee pad trained. He never goes out without a leash. We go for walks and rides sometimes. He love to "go". He knows to go in the kitchen to his drawer where the leash/harness is...very cute to see him get so excited!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy is a almost always indoor dog. He is trained to wee pads so he goes indoors. We do try to take a walk at the park a few days a week so he can stretch his legs and get some fresh air. But he hates, hates, hates being outside. He always runs away from me when I get his leash out! Once we are at the park it takes forever to pry him away from the car so we can start walking.
As to socializing, I've let him play with my sister's Palbert and her friend's Boston Terriers and he has met some dogs at puppy school. But he still doesn't like most dogs. Palbert is the only dog he is somewhat nice to. He loves people though. He'll sometimes bark at a person when he first meets them, but he's begging to be played with almost immediately. I ALWAYS keep him leashed.. I don't trust him to not run off and I don't trust people to treat him correctly so I like to be in control. But I just love having an inside dog.. he hardly ever gets dirty, we don't have to go outside in bad weather, and we live upstairs so I don't have to take him down the stairs to go potty. It's the best!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I LOVE the fact that Princess is an inside only maltese. She is always clean and there is no need to worry about her getting any diseases from other dogs.

Ladys mom, we try to socialize her by taking her to parties or when we're out shopping. She is an angel when she goes out. She don't even go pee until she gets back (only once did she poo at a friend's house-oops!)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sylphide spends most of her time indoors. However, she does go for rides and walks. Right now, she is bugging me and barking at me because she knows it's time for the walk - and sun, rain, or snow, she LOVES it! She thinks she is the queen of the neighborhood.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Vinny never goes potty outside and I keep him in my arms or in his bag when we go out. As for the socialization, I have a very big family with lots of kids, dogs and cats and he goes everywhere with me. I started bringing him with me in his bag as soon as I got him so now when we go shopping or to a restaurant he somehow he knows to be very quiet and usually sleeps. He loves everyone and every critter he meets. One of my sisters has a huge dog and that is Vinny's favorite cousin, she is so gentle with him, the family joke is that Vinny thinks he is Angel's size and vice versa, she really is a big baby. This was taken a couple of months ago so Vinny is a big bigger but here he is with Angel, look close..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts