Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The show Inside Edition asks everyday a question and tonights question is would you leave your pet behind if you were in the disaster. I have included the link and will be interested to know what the results will be.

I would die rather than leave Teddy. I have never met a dog in my life that is more of a baby than Teddy...he depends on me more than any other animal I have ever known. He would not survive and nor would I if something happened to him.

http://insider.tv.yahoo.com/tmobile/

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I voted, and NO I would NEVER leave any pet behind! I've said it before and I'll say it again, there needs to be a federal law that allows pets to be taken into shelters along with their owners. I believe in many states what has been done to some of these poor animals would be considered animal cruelty.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I can't even comprehend the thought of leaving my animals behind. Any of them. I have a rubbermaid container with emergency supplies just for my animals. I thought it was very cruel that those poor people had been through so much and then were told they couldn't take their animals? Somethings really wrong.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I cast my vote also. There is no way I would leave without my Belle. She and I might just as well be one. I can't imagine life without her especially knowing I had chosen to leave her.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
The thing I hate about "what would your do if..." polls is that NONE of us can really say what we can (or would) do in any given situation until we are actually in that situation. We can certainly say what we believe from the bottom of our heart would be our absolute intent and response but until we were standing in chest deep water having to make that choice between saving a family member or our beloved pet all the polls in the world are meaningless.

I have heard some unkind comments about people leaving pets behind in the flood from alot of different sources, what a terrible choice to have to make. I THANK GOD every day that it was not me or my family faced with those choices. As we hug our pups a little closer tonight lets try to have a moment of compassion for what a painful choice it must have been for some of the people who had to leave their beloved pets behind in order to do what was best for their children and families. There but for the grace of God......

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Sep 7 2005, 09:59 PM
The thing I hate about "what would your do if..." polls is that NONE of us can really say what we can (or would) do in any given situation until we are actually in that situation.  We can certainly say what we believe from the bottom of our heart would be our absolute intent and response but until we were standing in chest deep water having to make that choice between saving a family member or our beloved pet all the polls in the world are meaningless.

I have heard some unkind comments about people leaving pets behind in the flood from alot of different sources, what a terrible choice to have to make.  I THANK GOD every day  that it was not me or my family faced with those choices.  As we hug our pups a little closer tonight lets try to have a moment of compassion for what a painful choice it must have been for some of the people who had to leave their beloved pets behind in order to do what was best for their children and families.  There but for the grace of God......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97647
[/QUOTE]

Even though I would not leave Scooby behind as we have the means to leave our area if the need arose and you can bet Scooby will be right there with us all the way, but I too can see your point puppymom, those poor people had no choice at all through no fault of their own but to leave without their pets. Some stayed just to be there with their beloved pets because they are all they have and my heart goes out to those who had to just turn away and leave them behind, it must have been the most heart wrenching decision they have ever had to make.
I feel that there should have been some kind of means of transport provided for both people and their pets, perhaps had there been many more people could have left before Katrina actuallly hit.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ginny,

I am not for one second judging one single person who had to do what they did....I am however holding the government responsible for not allowing or making available the neccessary support for all those who had loved animals that needed shelter from the storm. I take personal offense that I because I have more money than some could bring Teddy with me and be safe, but others because they are of lower means were unable to care for their pets safely. The people who had no choice but to leave the beloved pets did not love them any less than I do Teddy - they are just poor and were given no option - and that I find to be unforgivable.

If we are going to be a country that values our relationships with animals and makes them members of our family then we need to make choices in our laws that reflect that. How dare we as a country not make every effort to have these same pets be with those who love them....this would be so much better for all concerned as it is a known fact that animals are able to help sick patients feel better, stressed people feel less stress and those two things alone should have been reason enough. Those people who had to leave their beloved pets are worried about them now and that makes this time so much harder on everyone.

We all need to correct this problem before it is allowed to happen again...and I truly hope that polls like this one will show our government that we as a people will no longer tolerate the blatent disregard shown to our family members called pets.

Sorry, this was so harsh, but I want not one person to get the wrong idea that any of us hold those who had to leave without the family pet responsible....and I want everyone to know that we the people will no longer stand by and watch the injustice that occured from Katrina.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I voted too and in no way I would leave Alex behind. But I don't judge people who had to make that choice, it's hard enough on them that they had to do that, they don't need other people put them more down that they already are. A lot of people choose to stay behind because of their pets. Maybe next time something like this happens, people will not have to make that choice and be able to evacuate with their pets.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Thanks Susan for the link. I voted and no we would never leave Sassy behind. I would stick her in my purse and we would all leave. We brats would stick together

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Sep 7 2005, 09:59 PM
The thing I hate about "what would your do if..." polls is that NONE of us can really say what we can (or would) do in any given situation until we are actually in that situation. 
i agree 100% and have posted such on other forums, honestly I cant even read some of the threads here and other places about the people and pets who were left behind, I saw the "snowball" thread here and I cant even look at it, i seee something in the paper and i put it down, you will find animals and babies, the true innocence of the earth, have a place in my heart like no other, anyway, all i can say as i sit here is that my wife and son come first but I would not leave behind Sampson, Maggie or Lizzie, I would test my faith and fate to stay with them

·
Registered
228 Posts
Given the choices, this is not a question I can answer. In our fortunate position of having enough money, if we were told a category 5 storm was coming and to evacuate, we would do so - with Audrey of course.

However if I had a choice between staying in an area where you and your pet would very likely be killed, or leaving but only without Audrey, I would choose my husband and another 50 to 60 years together rather than risk our own lives and those of all the rescue workers by refusing to leave.
I think that those who chose to stay if they could have left were irresponsible. I understand that many, many people did not have the means to leave, and I am not refering to them. But people seem to think that bad things cannot possibly happen to THEM - I think the same thing in many ways, but why would you risk your own lives and those of everyone around you by staying somewhere unsafe when given a mandatory evacuation notice?

I do think the question is impossible to answer, and even if we were told to leave Audrey we wouldn't, because she fits so easily in a shoulder bag and no-one would even need to know she was there. But if she was a Alsatian and I had to make a choice it would not be so easy.

What an absolutely horrible situation for everyone to be in, and how terrifying for humans and pets alike. At least the humans can make sense of what happened - the pets have no idea why they are suddenly hungry and alone. I simply cannot imagine what these people and animals are going through.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I absolutely cannot imagine leaving Jack behind. But of course, I am fortunate in that I have a car, credit cards, family, and friends to go to in the event of an emergency. Those who are less fortunate have basically none of the options that I am lucky enough to have. But... even so. I would never leave Jacky.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again, I am saying that the choice should not have to be made...the people who had to go to public shelter should have been able to give safe haven to their pets...just as those of us who are of more means can do...and right now, we as a community have the voice of so many people and we can change the laws to make a difference. Please go back a couple of posts and read what I posted...we the people can demand that our lawmakers stop this inequity.

·
Registered
274 Posts
While I can't say exactly what I would do in that situation, I know that I would try with everything I had to keep the animals with me.. I don't know if I could live knowing I left Kylie and Katie behind to die. I chose to buy them and bring them into the family, in which case I also chose to look out for them and protect them at all costs... They are my children, they are my responsibility, and I couldn't leave them behind.. Just thinking about it makes me weepy....

Jess

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Joe+Sep 7 2005, 10:26 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppymom
@Sep 7 2005, 09:59 PM
The thing I hate about "what would your do if..." polls is that NONE of us can really say what we can (or would) do in any given situation until we are actually in that situation. 
i agree 100% and have posted such on other forums, honestly I cant even read some of the threads here and other places about the people and pets who were left behind, I saw the "snowball" thread here and I cant even look at it, i seee something in the paper and i put it down, you will find animals and babies, the true innocence of the earth, have a place in my heart like no other, anyway, all i can say as i sit here is that my wife and son come first but I would not leave behind Sampson, Maggie or Lizzie, I would test my faith and fate to stay with them
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97666
[/B][/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you are saying Joe, I too find it very upsetting to see the tragedy unfolding, the loss of life and the pets left to fend for themselves, it upsets me terribly knowing that I am helpless to stop any of it happening. Sometimes I feel the media tend to over show the misery and invade the privacy of those who are suffering by making it a top story, I mean it is bad enough those poor people have to suffer through it all without having to know the whole world is watching and seeing it over and over again.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What can we do about it Teddyandme?? Should we start a letter writing campaign or maybe get a petition going?? Our shelters around here won't take pets either.. We have a basement, so if anything got bad (like a tornado) we would just head there, but I know a lot of people who stay in mobile homes during these kinds of storms simply because the shelter won't let pets in. Why should people or animals be put in harms way? Maybe we should all write our Congressmen?
Jess

1 - 20 of 49 Posts