Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I took Gizmo to the vet for his second set of shots. Well, I asked them about heartworm prevention meds. and they had Heartgard Plus. Since I've read about ones being better than others, and haven't really read about HG, I didn't end up buying it. Has anyone ever had any problems with Heardgard? I was actually wanting to buy Interceptor simply because I see the majority of people on here using it?
But since my vet doesn't carry it, does anyone know where else I can get this? I live in Miami, if that helps.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut gets diarrhea the entire day after taking Heartgard. I just gave him the last pill in the 6 month pack yesterday, so the vet said I could get Interceptor this time around.

I'm not sure if one is better than the other, but the diarrhea makes Peanut uncomfortable all day, and that's enough reason for me to change.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
ive had no probs with HG..its also all my vet carries. they are both good products

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
My Vet carries both and he said both are good. The only difference is the Interceptor kills one more worm that HG doesnt. Which is good if you live in a wooded or rual area,that has alot of wild animales.Since we live on the river the Interceptor is what we use.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Palbert would always throw up when taking Heartgard.. so I switched him to Interceptor, and it is working just perfectly. It's such a smaller little med- in a tiny pill form rather than a chew. He swallowed it as easily as a cherrio. No throw up since!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
are there any side effects from interceptor? Kodie is on that as well... and usually i broke the pill in 1/2 and then gave him only 1/2 each month... well i didnt give him a pill for about 4 months and then i recently last sunday gave him 1 full pill and then that horrible event happened with kodie panting and shaking (I posted about it last week). Do you think that interceptor has anything to do with it?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Apr 3 2005, 05:52 PM
are there any side effects from interceptor?  Kodie is on that as well... and usually i broke the pill in 1/2 and then gave him only 1/2 each month...  well i didnt give him a pill for about 4 months and then i recently last sunday gave him 1 full pill and then that horrible event happened with kodie panting and shaking (I posted about it last week).  Do you think that interceptor has anything to do with it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48609
[/QUOTE]
Someone with more knowledge than I on this might have some ideas,but it hasent ever bothered the boys.This was Lamby's first time and she did fine also. But Kodie is so tiny,I hope someone will give you some imput on what they think.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you skip more than a month or 2 you should have a heartworm test before giving the pill again.

Some dogs do not tolerate certain medications well. Heartgard uses a different medication (ivermectin) so if your dog does not tolerate Interceptor, talk to your vet about trying Heartgard or straight ivermectin instead. Revolution is also an option though it is a bit more likely to cause a reaction in my experience.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Apr 3 2005, 05:52 PM
are there any side effects from interceptor?  Kodie is on that as well... and usually i broke the pill in 1/2 and then gave him only 1/2 each month...  well i didnt give him a pill for about 4 months and then i recently last sunday gave him 1 full pill and then that horrible event happened with kodie panting and shaking (I posted about it last week).  Do you think that interceptor has anything to do with it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48609
[/QUOTE]

How big is Kodie at what age? Palbert is 4lbs at 1 year old. I've given him the full interceptor with no problems at all.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Does anyone know why they wait a year to have a heartworm test? I have been giving Jack interceptor since he was 3 months old. When he gets his yearly checkup in June, they said they will give him the test. Isn't that a little late?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@Apr 8 2005, 02:08 PM
Does anyone know why they wait a year to have a heartworm test?  I have been giving Jack interceptor since he was 3 months old.  When he gets his yearly checkup in June, they said they will give him the test.  Isn't that a little late? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50540
[/QUOTE]
My vet tests for heartworms every year even though Peanut is already on Heartgard.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@Apr 8 2005, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know why they wait a year to have a heartworm test?  I have been giving Jack interceptor since he was 3 months old.  When he gets his yearly checkup in June, they said they will give him the test.  Isn't that a little late? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50540
[/QUOTE]

It is highly unlikely that your pup got heartworms at birth. The dog has to be infected for 6 months before it shows up on the test. It would be a waste of money to test before 6 months of age. Most vet either do the first test at 6 months of age when they come in for spay/neuter (we do) or sometime around a year of age.

Even if your dog is getting preventative monthly, it is still a good idea to test every year or two just in case. Very, very, very rarely a dog has gotten heartworm despite being on the preventative. Its better to test and be safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts