Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Miss D is in puppy k, but we took a make up class, so her regular pals weren't there. We had a very interesting time there. It took me an extra hour just to get out after class was over! Before I could get 5 steps out the training ring. I had a couple come up to me and chat for almost 15 mins about Delilah, then when I got through with them, an elderly couple stopped me. All I was trying to do was get a darn hand basket, so I could make it back to the dog food isle. Another family stoped so they could pet and talk to her. Then another lady, name Diane, who has 3 maltese of her own. I told her about the Nationals and this site, so hopefully she will join us!

One lady, was like ooohhh look honey a toy Maltese. I told her there was no such thing, then she asked then she must be a puppy.
I met another lady who originally thought she had a maltese, but she said she got screwed.(her words,LOL) She turned out to be a malese/bichone mix. Said hers was suppose to be only 6 lbs, but she of course kept growing! She loved Delilah! I wouldn't let anyone hold her. They asked, but I am not comfortable letting anyone hold her that I don't know. I hope I wasn't rude sounding and being unreasonable.

I finally got her food, checked out and made a beeline for the front door! WHEW! I didn't even look at anyone. I wanted to go home!:blink:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
How wonderful that so many loved your little girl.
You know, Maltese are toys. That's the group they're in so that gal was right.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, toy group! But she was meaning tea cup, like miniature.

Did I tell you I LOVE your siggy of Cosy? I get a good chuckle everytime I see it. It's to cute!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Oh yes........the Maltese have a magnetism all their own....
get used to it.......it never stops.
When I take my 3 out in their stroller I can not be in a rush.........if I am they can't come with me, period.
Not only do I get the "teacup" questions but "Are they related?", "How old are they?", "Are they always so quiet?" and "Who does their grooming?" and probably 20 other questions.
They even get more attention when on leashes, at least in the stroller, I can duck into aisles if I want to avoid the barrage of inquiries.
At least I can point the large amount of senior citizens that live near me to seek out the Maltese rescues, recommend good breeders and dispel some myths.

My girls love the attention and are very used to the stroller....if I get dog dresses or harnesses out.....they know..........we are going somewhere!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
LOL now you know why I hate shopping with Gigi. It get's old LOL. It is like 20 questions with everybody! Thank goodness they don't know english or they all would have big hea and their noses in the air! :w00t:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yep...same here. It was really nice at first to have other people be as smitten with her as I was, but now sometimes it's like: 'ok, i wanna get out of here sometime today..'

*sigh* it's hard having such beautiful babies, huh?

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Bob always chases people with Maltese to talk about their dogs and show pic's of the Boyz.
Glad you had fun!!!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
lol i know the feeling ppl keep asking if he is a teacup cause he is so tiny .. im like there is no such thing .. a maltese is in the toy breeds yup..

its cute to get the attention but u do get stopped a thousand times ..

and anyway who wouldnt stop for delilah she is beautiful .

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I get asked at the shows if Ava is a teacup or miniature maltese.

Well she is kind of a miniature version I guess......:blush:....sometimes it's actually embarrassing when she's smaller than the 6 month old pups.

When Elaine and I take Ava and Maya places, it's amazing...some people go gaga over the malt and some love the chi better. It's fun if you're not in a hurry. :thumbsup:

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You know, Maltese are toys. That's the group they're in so that gal was right.
It's actually more of a redundancy than anything else.......i.e. Toy Yorkie, Toy Pug, Toy Chihuahua. :blink:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I LOVE talking to other Malt owners--we even have one upstairs where we just moved! Waaayyyy cool!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I get asked at the shows if Ava is a teacup or miniature maltese.

Well she is kind of a miniature version I guess......:blush:....sometimes it's actually embarrassing when she's smaller than the 6 month old pups.

When Elaine and I take Ava and Maya places, it's amazing...some people go gaga over the malt and some love the chi better. It's fun if you're not in a hurry. :thumbsup:

Enjoy it!
I'm always shocked when I go somewhere where I'd assume people knew more than the 'average joe' about dogs (a show would fall into this category, to me) and there is still this widespread misnomer about 'teacups'. It's sad to me how many people ask me about Leila being a 'teacup', having never seen a Maltese within the standard (well, she is a little under...) I guess it's good to 'educate', though..

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is good to educate and around here the majority of the Maltese are above standard that I have seen so far. Even the local BYB that everyone raves about. Her male that she breeds with is only 3 lbs and her breeding females are 6-10 lbs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts