Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Gee I started to read all of this and it is scary indeed, but can we believe all of it.
I will read the rest of it tomorrow, thanks for posting it, very interesting

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I read until I got to the part about the Japanese diet being practically fiber free.
What will those morons think of next??? Do they really think that the Japanese don't eat much rice or grains?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked my rice box. Dietary fiber in rice is 2.3 grams in 100 grams uncooked rice. So the Japanese won't get much fiber from the rice they are eating. To compare : my husband eats Crunchy raisin bran for breakfeast. One cup (53 grams) contains 25 grams of dietary fiber. Add the milk, and he gets 30 grams. And I still cannot understand that you don't peel potatoes here. They grow in dirt and all the bacteria from the soil will stick in the skin of the potatoe. As a matter of fact, I peel all the peelable vegetables. And yes I peel apples, pears and sometimes even peaches. Never tought of doing this because of fiber, more so thinking to get rid of the insecticides they are sprayed with. Also followed what my parents and grand parents have always been doing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes Indeed this was interesting!!!!!

But I don't know that I Buy it!!!! and I quote.......

Just a few generations ago—that's less than 50 to 70 years—the consumption of fibrous plants, coarse flour, and bran was practically unheard of in the Western world, except among the poor and starving. ........

Yes, true........and 50-70 years ago our life expectancy was less........so their point is?

As far as the French and Japanese living longer than we do?........well.........
After all........the french and Japanese don't eat fast food like we do.
And the Japanese that ARE starting to eat our junk DO have life expectancy like we do!!!! They also WALK more than we do. We RIDE everywhere.

If you do statistics......you can't compare apples to oranges. There are too many variables here.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm quite late getting back on this, but, MalteseJane, what kind of rice are you referring to? White rice? That is about as healthy as wonder bread. Sprouted brown rice with a thick husk? Trust me, THAT'S fiber! :D I can personally guarantee that fiber several times a day.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm quite late getting back on this, but, MalteseJane, what kind of rice are you referring to? White rice? That is about as healthy as wonder bread. Sprouted brown rice with a thick husk? Trust me, THAT'S fiber! :D I can personally guarantee that fiber several times a day.
[/B]
I am buying imported Basmati white rice from India. Nutritional value for 100 gm uncooked :

Protein 6.4 gm, Carbohydrate 79 gm, Energy 346 cals, Calcium 9 mg, Iron 4 mg, Thiamine 0.21 mg, Riboflavin 0.05 mg, Niacin 3.8 mg, Dietary fibre 2.3 gm, Fat 0.4 gm

There you go. I guess it depends which rice people are more inclined to eat in other countries. I don't like brown rice. On another note, if you are looking to balance your PH, rice and wheat are acidifying foods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts