Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-
My family will all be in home in Paris for the holidays and they want me to come with my dog. We have flown before but only 3 hours at a time. This would require a 3 hour flight, 3 hour airport layover and a 7 hour flight. My dog would be in cabin in a carrier.
Anyone flown a long flight with your dog, any advice, suggestions etc. I'd love to go but am still on the fence so to speak.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
It's easy really,try to get American Airlines if you can,they have the largest under seat storage and have the largest carrier size allowance of 19x13x9,weight limit 25 pounds. They allow two personal items and a carry -on.

I used a soft sides, Sherpa and it's a smidgen bigger but it squishes,so it'll fit. They let me hold my fluff on my lap,but ask the people sitting beside you first.
The people sitting next to me actually begged me to get my two out. I travelled w/ two small fluffs,both weighed less than 25 pounds and I was able to slip my small lap top in the back pocket of my carrier too and a few doggie treats.I brought some Ace,a pill to calm them down ,in flight,just in case...they never needed it.

If you have a male,I suggest a belly band,maybe you can doggie diampers if you have a female,depending on length of the flight. If you do a lay over,you'll have to leave the secure area to let them potty and go back through security again... You might get lucky and have a pet potty area close by...

Too bad there's no Concorde now,took us 4½ hours,it was great....and they had the best free passenger bags....

I think it's about 8 hours now on conventional jets?

I took one carry-on rolling wheel bag,and my pet carrier.

Check w/ airlines ahead of time and book your pet ahead too,they generally limit the number of pets ,in cabin to eight ,so make sure to book them and keep the authorization. Generally you can book flight online but have to call to book pet,so I'd call and do all of it at once...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes I wish they never got rid of the concorde...I saw one up close once. I used to work in airports. But yes make sure the airline knows about the dog..You must be on the west coast to be flying to Paris.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Texas and connecting thru Washington. My dog flies with me a lot, though he'snot real fond of being in the carrier......I guess I'm just overly nervous as I haven't flown over three hours.
He's a squatter and puppy pad trained, so I think that potty won;t be that difficult..it's just the confinement..and he freaks out if I get up to go to the bathroom in flight.
My neighbor thinks that the dogs prefer to be with us regardless as opposed to being boarded, so I don't know- I guess we'll try it and see what happens.
I also have always wanted to fly the concorde, had been planning a trip , then they grounded them.... Was it amazing? I've heard you could see the curvature of the earth.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
American Airlines

I have done several long flights with Ladie. From Florida to San Francisco is almost 6 hours and she did great. I have a small rolling bag for them it has mesh in the front and a place to hold her collar. I was able to take her in as a carry on but the flight attendant was watching me all the time to make sure I did not bring her of the bag :angry::angry: my husband was seating next to me so, eventually I did.

American charged me 80.00 each way but I did not mind the charge as long as she was with me. They also requested travel papers with proof of vaccines I had them. I took some treats, water bottle, disposable bowl and it worked just fine! Ladie enjoyed San Francisco as much as we did.

PS: due to security reasons Ladie, her bag and I were xrayed!:w00t::w00t:

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I forgot about the charge,they charged me $100 for the extra doggie carry on,I would have had to pay $100 for one dog or two,as long as they both fit comfortably in one carrier.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I'm in Texas and connecting thru Washington. My dog flies with me a lot, though he'snot real fond of being in the carrier......I guess I'm just overly nervous as I haven't flown over three hours.
He's a squatter and puppy pad trained, so I think that potty won;t be that difficult..it's just the confinement..and he freaks out if I get up to go to the bathroom in flight.
My neighbor thinks that the dogs prefer to be with us regardless as opposed to being boarded, so I don't know- I guess we'll try it and see what happens.
I also have always wanted to fly the Concorde, had been planning a trip , then they grounded them.... Was it amazing? I've heard you could see the curvature of the earth.

It was amazing,you could see the curvature of the earth as they went to altitudes higher than conventional aircraft. You had your own private deluxe lounge area to wait in with drinks and food. You got the deluxe treatment on the plane too,made 1st class in a conventional plane look like coach...and the food on board,delicious and you got a nice swag bag of goodies,like plush slippers.

I was lucky to take Concorde three times, the last time was in 2002 when I took my parents to Japan. We went Concorde,they were running a special w/ a free day in Paris,through American Express Centurian card. If you purchased an international ticket,your spouse or other person traveling got one free,so I paid for two tickets and got two free. the next day we flew to Norita in Japan.

My mother had knee surgery so we needed a nurse to help,so her ticket was free too.

·
Premium Member
17,453 Posts
Good advice from Michelle.
I don't feed my dogs for a day before travel & I give them ice chips instead of water. If the dog is pad-trained you could take him to the handicapped toilets---they are huge in Europe & just one toilet w/a door to the outside so it is easy to pee-pad them.
I like Lufthansa for my routing---they only allow l dog per cabin---or so they say. They do allow 2 in one carrier if they are really small.
I try to get a night flight so I can "sneak" them out under a blanket overnight. It is one of my most besetting sins. I don't ask permission but if I get caught I do apologize!
In Europe they require micro-chip and rabies shot be registered in the pet-passport. I am not sure about France but think it is EC law.
I would spring for it IF I were you. We leave next Mon. for the US from Athens---all the way to San Francisco but over Munich.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Good advice from Michelle.
I don't feed my dogs for a day before travel & I give them ice chips instead of water. If the dog is pad-trained you could take him to the handicapped toilets---they are huge in Europe & just one toilet w/a door to the outside so it is easy to pee-pad them.
I like Lufthansa for my routing---they only allow l dog per cabin---or so they say. They do allow 2 in one carrier if they are really small.
I try to get a night flight so I can "sneak" them out under a blanket overnight. It is one of my most besetting sins. I don't ask permission but if I get caught I do apologize!
In Europe they require micro-chip and rabies shot be registered in the pet-passport. I am not sure about France but think it is EC law.
I would spring for it IF I were you. We leave next Mon. for the US from Athens---all the way to San Francisco but over Munich.

Is that like that phrase,"easier to apologize than to ask for permission?":HistericalSmiley:
I asked an no one had a problem,in fact they were beggin me to take them out,before we even took off. So many travels and want to take their fluffs so seeing a fluff seemed to make the trip more fun..

·
Premium Member
17,453 Posts
Michelle, it is usually the stewards, stewardesses that give me flack on Lufthansa---the people next to me are usually okay w/it. When I board & they see the pet-in-cabin sticker they start to "inform" me of protocol. I have even had a plane held up because I had 2 dogs in one cabin (that was Delta & I had confirmation) -- it was a connecting flight too (w/another airline) & I had not had problems on the original flight. They brought down the book & read to me what is allowed! I put up one HUGE protest---finally the pilot made a decision to let me continue the flight w/him taking responsibility. I refused to deplane because I passed through 5 people who could have stopped me before taking my seat---no one said anything. So another advice is to book the same carrier for any leg of the flight & remember that "confirmation" doesn't necessarily mean "confirmation."
Don't be afraid to ask to speak to the And carry along a lawyer in your back pocket :)

·
Premium Member
17,453 Posts
Don't be afraid to ask to speak to the And carry along a lawyer in your back pocket :)

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Michelle, it is usually the stewards, stewardesses that give me flack on Lufthansa---the people next to me are usually okay w/it. When I board & they see the pet-in-cabin sticker they start to "inform" me of protocol. I have even had a plane held up because I had 2 dogs in one cabin (that was Delta & I had confirmation) -- it was a connecting flight too (w/another airline) & I had not had problems on the original flight. They brought down the book & read to me what is allowed! I put up one HUGE protest---finally the pilot made a decision to let me continue the flight w/him taking responsibility. I refused to deplane because I passed through 5 people who could have stopped me before taking my seat---no one said anything. So another advice is to book the same carrier for any leg of the flight & remember that "confirmation" doesn't necessarily mean "confirmation."

That's so true. I got lucky,the flight attendants we nice,thy even wanted to seemy fluffs. I have heard though,many do not let you take them out. I find if I wait for a while,after the flight attendants have gotten people seated and drinks passed,they will be more accomodating. I don't take them out during the meal and if anyone is snacking I make sure they're in the carrier ,there are laws on dogs in proximity of food served..

I started out ,after the caution flight lights go off,putting my carrier on my lap,they allow that. Mine we so quiet and shy and slept most of the trip.

I had one flight attendant get a little smippy but it was a late night and a small plane and I think he had a really bad day...I didn't take them out,luckily it was a short connection.

Generally I just wait to see what the atitude is,most were pretty nice about it.

I try to make sure I connect w/ American Airlines,on all connection flights,it makes it easier. If you connect w/ different airlines,one might be fine w/ it,the next may not. I would research connecting flights,they will tell you to check out pet policies on other airlines,just in case...

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Your trip should be fine! I picked Bijou up in Seoul and flew back to NYC with her. We were traveling for more than 24 hours. She did great! I did put her under my down jacket when everyone started sleeping and she kissed me the whole way back. :wub: I put the pad down in the lavatory twice. She went once, and the other time she didn't go. It should be fine for you, since you already know your dog-- I had just met Bijou! I brought syringes to give her water through the side of mouth. Otherwise she would not have drank anything. She didn't eat anything either. But I think that might be because she had never left the breeder or her mom before. Good luck! I always enjoy traveling with the fluffs!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:
We did fly to Paris and all went well.
I made sure I had all the required paperwork and accepted microchip, but no one actually asked for it or looked at it until we arrived back in the USA where I was sent to see a USDA inspector after exiting the immigration area in customs.

I did decide to get a different carrier after reading about one on site regarding travelling with pets. Unfortunately no online retailer could deliver in time, so
i called the manufacturer direct late in the afternoon and they were so wonderful! They sent me the carrier overnight and even honored the sale price I saw at a web retailer. Here's a link to the carrier , which although it is slightly larger than airline specs, squishes down to fit perfectly. I liked it because the internal space was larger than any carrier I have found....plus you can have open mesh on all sides by rolling the canvas down. Amazon.com: SturdiBag Pet Carrier, Large - Black: Home & Garden

Kyler seemed to not mind being cooped up in there as much. He really hated our sherpa.

I flew UA on a 767 and on one of those regional jets for the first leg, the carrier fit on both.

The only mishap we had was when I went to the bathroom and left him in the carrier.
When I opened the bathroom door, three flight attendants were standing there asking me if that was my dog. I had no idea what they were talking about til I looked down and there was Kyler , sitting on the floor right in front of the bathroom door patiently waiting for me to exit. One of the FA's was a little testy, the other two were laughing. I simply apologized, scooped him up and took him back to the carrier.
(I did realize that I hadn't secured the zipper and he just worked it down enough to squish out and come looking for me)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts