Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Mia is now 9 months old and we are talking about possibly adopting another maltese puppy as I would like her to have a "sister" to grow up with. For those of you that have more than 1 furbaby:

1. Is it better to wait a while until she is older?
2. Is there a way to properly introduce them to each other? I didn't want Mia to feel threatened with the introduction of another puppy. e.g separate beds, etc.

·
Registered
Maltese
6 Posts
Ciao a tutti,
Mia ora ha 9 mesi e stiamo parlando della possibile adozione di un altro cucciolo maltese poiché vorrei che avesse una "sorella" con cui crescere. Per quelli di voi che hanno più di 1 peloso:

1. È meglio aspettare un po' finché non è più grande?
2. C'è un modo per presentarli correttamente l'un l'altro? Non volevo che Mia si sentisse minacciata dall'introduzione di un altro cucciolo. ad es. letti separati, ecc.
[/CITAZIONE]
Buongiorno, noi abbiamo Alvin e Chèrie e distano un anno di differenza, all'inizio Alvin (che è più grande) aveva sempre paura di fargli del male e rimaneva un pò distanziato e si allontanava quando c'èra un contatto fisico ma per i giocattoli non si è mai dimostrato geloso e le faceva fare qualsiasi cosa.
Per presentarli tra loromo a Chèrie che aveva solo un mese e portavamo anche Alvin che si era abituato a lei ed anche ai suoi genitori, poi quando andati a prenderla è venuto anche lui con noi ed hanno fatto il viaggio in macchina insieme per poi restare insieme anche a casa.
Ora Cherie ha 5 mesi ed Alvin 1 anno e mezzo e sono diventati una cosa sola, sono sempre insieme ed inseparabili, quando andiamo al lavoro li controlliamo con delle telecamere e dove c'è uno c'è anche l'altra.
Si fanno tantissima compagnia e giocano dal mattino alla sera.
Siamo felicissimi della complicità che si è instaurata.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,
Mia is now 9 months old and we are talking about possibly adopting another maltese puppy as I would like her to have a "sister" to grow up with. For those of you that have more than 1 furbaby:

2. Is there a way to properly introduce them to each other? I didn't want Mia to feel threatened with the introduction of another puppy. e.g separate beds, etc.
I think the earlier the better. If you have a single dog, they will integrate themselves into your family as the only dog. Any other dog is going to be the interloper. That being said, I think personalities of the dogs have the most to do with it. I have four maltese. Two are daughters of our original female maltese. After the hormones wore off, my original female (Beth) just ignores her two daughters. She was about 3 when they were born. We brought in a male (Ryder) when the two daughters were about your dog's age. His personality is very laid back and mellow and he fit into the pack immediately. All of the other dogs accept him, lay on him, play with him etc. Beth is the independent one because she was so much older, however, she gets along famously with him. All of the dogs defer to Beth. Anyway, if your new dog has a relaxed personality, there should be no issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for letting me know about your fur babies. Mia isn't laid back. She loves to cuddle, but she has a big personality, loves to play and also be the center of attention which could be a problem when introducing another puppy. I think I will contact her breeder to let her know that I am thinking about another puppy and hear what she has to say. Having the new puppy have a laid back personality may work better. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

Hi there, I have 3 beautiful Maltese babies, a 2 year old, a 1 year old and a 6 month old. all from different breeders. None of the introductions were tough at all. They are such loving dogs and they enjoy company; I actually think my oldest baby is happier now with his siblings than the first year or so that he was by himself. They play and fight (playfully) all the time and the 1 year old who is a little taller than the oldest is very protective of his siblings, you can see it when they're taken to get groomed, the middle one is always looking for the other 2 and is only calmed when the other 2 are by his side. I would say go ahead you're not going to regret getting your baby a companion.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
If your current dog is having any housebreaking or behavior problems, it would probably be a good idea to wait.

Otherwise, I agree that it is a matter of personalities and how you handle them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there, I have 3 beautiful Maltese babies, a 2 year old, a 1 year old and a 6 month old. all from different breeders. None of the introductions were tough at all. They are such loving dogs and they enjoy company; I actually think my oldest baby is happier now with his siblings than the first year or so that he was by himself. They play and fight (playfully) all the time and the 1 year old who is a little taller than the oldest is very protective of his siblings, you can see it when they're taken to get groomed, the middle one is always looking for the other 2 and is only calmed when the other 2 are by his side. I would say go ahead you're not going to regret getting your baby a companion.
Thank you for letting me know. I contacted the breeder yesterday. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your current dog is having any housebreaking or behavior problems, it would probably be a good idea to wait.

Otherwise, I agree that it is a matter of personalities and how you handle them.
No housebeaking or behavior problems. She just turned 10 months old and is active puppy who likes to plan but also likes to snuggle and sit on my lap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

I can't answer your question but was wondering who your breeder is. Your dog is gorgeous. I lost my little Cosette over seven years ago and am now thinking of getting another one, but her breeder has passed away. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't answer your question but was wondering who your breeder is. Your dog is gorgeous. I lost my little Cosette over seven years ago and am now thinking of getting another one, but her breeder has passed away. Thank you so much.
Hi. I know how difficult it is when you lose a dog. It's only been 2 years since I lost my previous Maltese and I am still heartbroken. The breeder is Dina Hunter (Melitica Maltese) in Connecticut.

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
5,988 Posts
Yes, yes…adopt another one and join us crazy dog ladies. Its so much fun having a few fluffs running around. My girls are all about a year or so apart. My first one Lacie had the hardest time when Suki arrived. I had to separate then for almost a year, otherwise Lacie would attack Suki.
To Lacies defense, she was just recovering from a pancreatitis attack, so the timing was not very good on my part. She will still go after Suki for no reason. Yet, Ling ling and Lacie get along great and Suki and Ling Ling get along great. They definitely feed off each other. So if one starts acting up, the other two jump in. They are like 3 rotten kids. That said, they keep me laughing all the time and I have no regrets whatsoever.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hi. I know how difficult it is when you lose a dog. It's only been 2 years since I lost my previous Maltese and I am still heartbroken. The breeder is Dina Hunter (Melitica Maltese) in Connecticut.
hi Lori! Do you have a Maltese from Melitica?
I lost my baby recently and I contacted Melitica. I live literally 20 minutes from her town so I was very excited to find such a great breeder so close! I sent a FV message… nothing. I sent an email says later. Nothing. I called the following week and was told she’s at a dog show. Made sense.
but I called again days later (dog show was on the weekend ) and was told she’s at the dog show and got my message and would. All. It’s been days again and nothing.
I know it’s my anxiety and grief that’s making everything worse especially the wait, but I’m already heartbroken (also I am well aware that’s not her problem) but now I keep telling myself I wrote something bad on my email and she doesn’t want to even consider me for one of her babies.
i cry everyday for my sweet Mac and now because I can’t even get a call back from her.
She is def my top choice of breeder not only because of location but also because of her impeccable breeding standards. I lost my sweet Mac to cancer. He was diagnosed just 2 months after I had major surgery to remove a massive benign tumor, then we fought for almost 5 months before he passed…
Now the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning is planning and looking for a new puppy…
But this is just too much.
most not even the wait but the uncertainty and doubts. And of course my crazy mind that keeps telling me even without talking to me she doesn’t think I’m worthy of her matese. 😭😭😭😭

so before I go crazy with my crazy thoughts or move on to another breeder I decided to ask if people who know and have puppies from her if this wait is normal or if she usually calls right back.
Thank you and sorry for pouring my sad story on you.
it’s been hard
Mac was almost 16 and the only family I have in the US.
(we’ve been in this forum since he was a puppy)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi Lori! Do you have a Maltese from Melitica?
I lost my baby recently and I contacted Melitica. I live literally 20 minutes from her town so I was very excited to find such a great breeder so close! I sent a FV message… nothing. I sent an email says later. Nothing. I called the following week and was told she’s at a dog show. Made sense.
but I called again days later (dog show was on the weekend ) and was told she’s at the dog show and got my message and would. All. It’s been days again and nothing.
I know it’s my anxiety and grief that’s making everything worse especially the wait, but I’m already heartbroken (also I am well aware that’s not her problem) but now I keep telling myself I wrote something bad on my email and she doesn’t want to even consider me for one of her babies.
i cry everyday for my sweet Mac and now because I can’t even get a call back from her.
She is def my top choice of breeder not only because of location but also because of her impeccable breeding standards. I lost my sweet Mac to cancer. He was diagnosed just 2 months after I had major surgery to remove a massive benign tumor, then we fought for almost 5 months before he passed…
Now the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning is planning and looking for a new puppy…
But this is just too much.
most not even the wait but the uncertainty and doubts. And of course my crazy mind that keeps telling me even without talking to me she doesn’t think I’m worthy of her matese. 😭😭😭😭

so before I go crazy with my crazy thoughts or move on to another breeder I decided to ask if people who know and have puppies from her if this wait is normal or if she usually calls right back.
Thank you and sorry for pouring my sad story on you.
it’s been hard
Mac was almost 16 and the only family I have in the US.
(we’ve been in this forum since he was a puppy)
Hi, Yes, Mia is from Melitica. When I emailed Dina, she called me a few days later. The last time she emailed me was about 6 weeks ago to check to see how Mia's spay went. I'm not sure where you sent the email but I email her at the following: [email protected] as it didn't appear that her facebook was recent.
I completely understand how you feel as I was heartbroken when I needed to make the decision to put my 15 year old Maltese (Haley) to sleep and waited about a year to start looking for another one (and once I made that decision, I was consumed with finding a puppy from a reputable breeder). I do know that she gets many emails and requests for her puppies so it just may be that she has been busy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts