Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Beth, and I can very happily say I'm now the proud owner of Frodo.
Frodo was another of the Siliski Maltese in TN, and we've finally gone from "foster" status to adoption.
It's such a relief to have this saga coming to a happy ending for all of these babies.

This little guy broke my heart when I first saw him in February, when I started volunteering. He never wanted to come out of his cage, and when he did he always seemed to be bullied by the other boys at "play time". He had pretty much given up on life. He's still a pretty quiet little guy, since his barker had been cut, and even when he tries to bark, not much comes out. He's been home with us since May as a foster, and he's been gradually learning what it means to play with toys, and more importantly that human contact can feel good and doesn't always have to hurt. He barks (sort of) and wags his tail when he hears us coming home and he barks when he hears the doorbell ring. He's not too interested in taking walks, thinks most treats are more for playing with than eating, and shows very little interest in other animals. He'll come over to us for an ear scratch if we get down on the floor with him, but if we're sitting on the sofa, he'll just go lay down and won't approach or ask to be picked up. I wish I knew more about what his prior life was like before the raid on the puppymill to have made him so subdued and submissive, since many of the other dogs were much more outgoing. But none of this stops me from loving him to pieces
and hoping that with a lot of time and love he'll learn to trust us enough to fully come out of his shell.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
What a doll-baby!!!

I am SO excited for you that your adoption status is now complete and for real!!! Congratulations! You both are lucky to have found each other...he will now know what true happiness is .....

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
WARM WELCOMES BACK! I was wondering what happened to you and your baby! I hope all is well for you and lil Frodo.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
How wonderful you are to have adopted this unfortunate soul. I am sure with your kindness and love, your pup will learn to trust you and your family. I think your case is a lesson for everyone on why puppy mills are horrible places. I don't want to knock anyone for buying a pet store pup, but there are parents behind those cute puppies that you see. The puppies are the lucky ones, because they get taken out of the mill. It's the ones left behind that break my heart.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
You and the other "parents" have done a really special thing. I hope that the love that you have showered on Frodo is returned to you hundredfold.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congratulations new mommy!! That is just wonderful news. I do believe that as time goes on he will begin to know that this new, great life is for real and he's not going back to that awful place and he'll become more trusting.

Don't worry too much about him not wanting to eat his treats. My Kallie is that way. If I don't break the treat in to a small piece, she won't eat it. She will pounce on it and throw it around and eventually hide it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by baw1227@Oct 30 2004, 11:05 AM
Hi, I'm Beth, and I can very happily say I'm now the proud owner of Frodo. 
Frodo was another of the Siliski Maltese in TN, and we've finally gone from "foster" status to adoption. 
  It's such a relief to have this saga coming to a happy ending for all of these babies.

This little guy broke my heart when I first saw him in February, when I started volunteering.  He never wanted to come out of his cage, and when he did he always seemed to be bullied by the other boys at "play time".  He had pretty much given up on life.  He's still a pretty quiet little guy, since his barker had been cut, and even when he tries to bark, not much comes out.  He's been home with us since May as a foster, and he's been gradually learning what it means to play with toys, and more importantly that human contact can feel good and doesn't always have to hurt.  He barks (sort of) and wags his tail when he hears us coming home and he  barks when he hears the doorbell ring.  He's not too interested in taking walks, thinks most treats are more for playing with than eating, and shows very little interest in other animals.  He'll come over to us for an ear scratch if we get down on the floor with him, but if we're sitting on the sofa, he'll just go lay down and won't approach or ask to be picked up.  I wish I knew more about what his prior life was like before the raid on the puppymill to have made him so subdued and submissive, since many of the other dogs were much more outgoing.  But none of this stops me from loving him to pieces 
and hoping that with a lot of time and love he'll learn to trust us enough to fully come out of his shell.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14110
[/QUOTE]

Your story breaks my heart and than mends it to know that he is with wonderful people now god bless you for adopting him and giving him love he will come around once he feels safe and loved...Keep us posted on him i will be anxious to hear his progress , that women should have her cords cut i so think its criminal to take a animals barking away shame on that witch :wacko:

J

·
0 Posts
Congratulations! I have been following the Skerski story for months now and I am so happy that all of you wonderful, loving fosters are now permanent mommy and daddies. Everytime I read about that horrible woman I would pick my little Lacey up and give her a hug.

Please give your little one a hug from Lacey and me. And also keep us posted on his progress.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much to all of you for your kind welcomes and congratulations. I'm so glad I was told about this site - it's a much friendlier place than that "other" site!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico and I just have to add our "Welcome" to you and Frodo, Beth. It is so rewarding to hear from a Siliski foster who was able to adopt one of those poor babies. After all the heartache we all went through as that nasty saga wore on and on, it is heartwarming to see a good ending.

Bless you and Frodo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi beth-
i can tell you now that you are going to like it here a lot more that MO. just in the introductions, you can tell the difference in the people.
here, we won't worry about asking "stupid" questions, and will be able to do a lot more.
i love the picture of frodo. gosh, he just looks wonderful.
We need to let all of our new mommies and daddies about this site.
gosh, doesn't if feel strange not to say Foster and Volunteer?

monica

·
Registered
162 Posts
CONGRATULATIONSx10000000000000!
I'm so so glad you were able to keep your pup. I could not believe it when i heard what the judge had planned to do!
I'm so happy for you!
YAY!
I know you'll love it here, as other have said. Everyone here is very nice and welcoming.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Congrats on your "official" status, but as you said Frodo was yours from the beg...he had your heart, I am so grateful that prayers were answered and he got to stay in his forever home.....WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME

·
Registered
939 Posts
Welcome Beth and Frodo.

Once again we are honored with a wonderful story of caring! Thank you so much for doing what you do. Congratulations on your official mommy status, Frodo will continue to grow and develop his personality under your love and care, please keep us posted.

He is such a lucky fella to have you (and you him
)

Judi

1 - 20 of 26 Posts