Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all!
So, here's the deal - I have two dogs. Kiki (F-Pom/Poodle) and Teddy (M-Maltese). Kiki is older, so we introduced the two when Teddy was about 10 weeks (VERY SMALL) and Kiki was a year. At first they ran around and just chased each other. Then it turned into rough-housing once Teddy gained a couple of pounds. They love to be near each other and begin roughhouse playing immediately, only to pause to drink water or eat or take a 5 min nap. It has gotten better but not by a lot.
Teddy is on the semi-agressive side with people outside of our family circle. Kiki is NOT.
My mom babysits Teddy every day, and she got a new dog last weekend -- a teeny tiny male poodle. He is 2lbs and Teddy's about 7. We have not introduced the two face-to face. I am very worried about how Teddy will react, being that he plays so roughly with Kiki.
Any thoughts on how we should approach (or not approach) introducing the new puppy and Teddy? Maybe it will be better bc Teddy and new puppy are both male? I don't know what to make of it.

PS - Ted is 7 mos and will be neutered next week

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Ted's neutering should help the two get along better. 2 unneutered males dogs will often compete and fight with one another out of instinct.

Of course, any play between the new puppy and the older dogs whould be closely supervised because of the big size difference.

You say Ted is "on the semi-aggressive side". He may be an "alpha" dog and perceive himself to be the leader of the pack. Even neutered, that could be a problem if he senses the little one is challenging his position. It's also not proper behavior to be aggressive to people outside the family. He needs work to modify/correct this behavior before it becomes a bigger problem when he is an adult.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teddy7@Feb 14 2005, 10:58 AM
Ted is 7 months old, and actually he is due to be neutered in 7 days!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35256
[/QUOTE]

I think once he is neutered, he'll be easier to get along with! Give it a few weeks after neutering before you see a big change, though.

Regarding him playing with a 2-pound puppy..... they would just have to be watched very closely. Kallie was almost at 10 pounds when I brought Catcher home at 2.8. They played well together but I was always close by. Catcher was the aggressor.... Kallie was actually afraid of him!

The experts say to introduce dogs to each other on neutral territory.

It is hard to predict how Ted will get along with the puppy.... Sorry I can't offer more info . . .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was a wreck -- a complete wreck when Teddy came home with us, because Kiki seemed SO much bigger than him! I was WAY overprotective when they played together. The doctor said no matter what, Kiki will probably be the Alpha dog bc she is older and was here first. However, you are right -- it doesn't seem to be working that way. He's actually getting worse with his behavior, making it obvious to everyone that the sooner he is nuetered, the better!
Poor Kiki is fighting him off every time he goes near her. Now that they are closer to the same size, I realized that the dogs know what they are doing when they are playing in a rough-housing nature. They are careful not to hurt one another but still, we watch them like crazy. I just hope that this is a "phase" with Teddy, or has something to do with his hormones running crazy. I hope this isn't how he will play will all dogs.
As far as his behavioral problems go. he is not jealous around Kiki or the cats. But even last week I went to pick him up from my mom's house and he started growling really bad through the gate when I said hi to new puppy. So you can imagine my nervousness surrounding the situation.
I think maybe a few days of isolation from any animals, and then relaxation after his surgery will help him mellow out (WE HOPE!!)

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
1. Have them meet on neutral territory - that means away from the house.

2. If possible, have them meet off leash. If not, on loose leash.

3. Keep them separated by a gate or one in the crate and one out for a while in the house so they can get use to each other. Don't rush introductions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts