Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 9 year old Maltese, Max. He is a sweet wonderful little dog. I just found out that he has a luxating patella. I don't know if he has had any trauma at the groomer's or if he is just now developing this. I am really quite anxious about having surgery done on him. He is now on NSAIDs for a couple of weeks, but I think this is just a band-aid that the vet offered me. He is grade 3-4. I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience in a Maltese this age.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
LP seems to be a common problem. My two girls both have it but not at the grade that they would require surgery but they do take meds for it. I know that several of our members have had to have their fluffs have the surgery - I'm sure someone will share their experiences with you.

Also, there are several threads on this - if you use the search tool I'm sure you find loads of info and others' experience.

Welcome to SM

Linda

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Hi & welcome to SM. My Boo just had patella surgery in May. He had a grade 3. In Feb. of this yr. he jumped off a high bed & ruptured the CCL in his right knee. He also damaged the cartilage. He had surgery to repair that knee. About 3 mths later, it was discovered that his left knee was now causing him a problem with a grade 3 LP. So the vet recommended surgery for that knee also. He did have some arthritis in that knee also,so I'm glad I had it fixed before it got worse. He's doing well now & taking a prescription Glucosomine supplement. He had just turned 6 yrs old a couple of mths before his injury & first surgery. I'm sorry Max is having this problem.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Welcome!!
Sorry to hear about the knee issues but you have come to the right place for help and answers.

Oh and we love pictures.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Hello & welcome! My Archie is 6 and has arthritis in his front elbows and LP in his hind knees. My vet doesn't want to do the operation until he's limping. on top of this last Sept 1st he jumped off a chair and tore his ACL, again the vet said to wait. After several months he formed scar tissue and doesn't limp anymore. I know he's in for a painfull future and it makes me sad for my boy.

It's a big operation for them, but after the recovery period - you'll be glad you did it.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts

Sorry to hear about the LP problems.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Hello, and welcome to SM! I don't have any advice to offer, but I do hope you find the answers you're looking for for your sweet Max.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts