Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Wanted to introduce myself and ask a specific question at this time. Just joined. We plan to get a maltese. My family is very dog-oriented. We have a male goldendoodle puppy we love to pieces and will be getting a bernedoodle puppy next. As many know, these are large dogs. Especially the bernedoodle; we’re planning to get a female we expect to be 70-90 lbs fullgrown. My youngest has fallen in love with my sister’s maltipoo puppy (the rest of the family does too!), and we are planning on getting a maltese as our third and final dog. I expect not until the bernedoodle is 12-18 months.

Our goldendoodle puppy is super sweet and plays very nicely with my sister’s maltipoo as he grows rapidly while the maltipoo remains around 6 lbs and seems to be about maxed out on growth. Nonetheless, I would not want to bring a Maltese into the house if it could be in danger from large dogs, even inadvertently. I can see visits being different than living together fulltime. From the breeders I have spoken to, both maltese and bernedoodle, it seems best to wait till the BD is fully trained and adolescent to adult. Interesting in hearing experiences of those who have maltese and large dogs in the house. Do those who have a Maltese and large dogs allow them to play unsupervised or leave them uncrated together if you leave the house? Many I know do this, and they play beautifully. But I imagine it could take some doing to get to that point. Look forward to hearing people's thoughts and experiences. Thanks, Justin

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
You've gotten some good advice. My babies used to have a 90 pound black lab as their best friend. HOWEVER, I personally know three pet parents whose larger dogs have accidentally hurt their toy breed siblings to the point where the toy breed dog did not survive. In one case, the larger dog wasn't even that much bigger - maybe 30 pounds larger. I would NEVER leave dogs with that size difference unattended. Accidents happen, and the consequences can be devastating.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Hi, and welcome. My personal opinion is that I would not get a Maltese with the dogs you have/are getting. Also, I also would not get the bernedoodle puppy while your goldendoodle is still a puppy. I would space them at least a year so that you have some time to train the first one. Once both are calm adults (which can take many years for the golden mixes), then maybe consider the Maltese (and a large one, like an 8-10 lber).

Doodles are very clumsy and can easily hurt a Maltese if not kill it. Even my standard poodles, who are graceful as ballet dancers have had some close brushes with Zooey. I personally would never mix sizes again, especially such drastic size differences (7 lbs. vs. 50 lbs.)

Another thing to consider by getting dogs so close apart in age is that you could lose them all around the same time. Obviously, Maltese should be longer lived than the larger breeds, but you never know. If you get the Maltese when your youngest doodle is 5, then the large dogs will be calmer and you'll have years with the Maltese after they pass.

Not trying to be discouraging, just giving you some things to think about because I want it to work out for you :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You've gotten some good advice. My babies used to have a 90 pound black lab as their best friend. HOWEVER, I personally know three pet parents whose larger dogs have accidentally hurt their toy breed siblings to the point where the toy breed dog did not survive. In one case, the larger dog wasn't even that much bigger - maybe 30 pounds larger. I would NEVER leave dogs with that size difference unattended. Accidents happen, and the consequences can be devastating.
Thanks, Maggie. So, where did you put the lab vis a vis the maltese dogs when no one was home? Haven't yet researched maltese enough, but we don't plan to crate the bernedoodle or goldendoodle as adults when we leave the house. Once fully trained, I've never crated my adult, large size dogs. I guess we could keep in different rooms/areas of the house with doors shut. Is that what you did?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, and welcome. My personal opinion is that I would not get a Maltese with the dogs you have/are getting. Also, I also would not get the bernedoodle puppy while your goldendoodle is still a puppy. I would space them at least a year so that you have some time to train the first one. Once both are calm adults (which can take many years for the golden mixes), then maybe consider the Maltese (and a large one, like an 8-10 lber).

Doodles are very clumsy and can easily hurt a Maltese if not kill it. Even my standard poodles, who are graceful as ballet dancers have had some close brushes with Zooey. I personally would never mix sizes again, especially such drastic size differences (7 lbs. vs. 50 lbs.)

Another thing to consider by getting dogs so close apart in age is that you could lose them all around the same time. Obviously, Maltese should be longer lived than the larger breeds, but you never know. If you get the Maltese when your youngest doodle is 5, then the large dogs will be calmer and you'll have years with the Maltese after they pass.

Not trying to be discouraging, just giving you some things to think about because I want it to work out for you :)
Thanks. Yes, its not 100%, we get the Maltese. And we have a lot of time before we would. That's why I'm starting to do research and soliciting opinions early. I want all viewpoints. The goldendoodle will be at least 15 months when we get the bernedoodle. More likely 18+. We do already have a deposit down for the BD for fall of 2021 but are likely to do summer of 2021. If it's a year from now, he'd still be 16 months. Appreciate your input!

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Our neighbours have a bernedoodle about 1 1/2 years old. He is the sweetest most well behaved dog and sooo smart but he is soooo big and clumsy. I would worry about a small maltese getting accidently hurt.

·
Registered
10 Posts

We had a Shepard and a Maltese they were great together . The female Maltese was the alpha of course I would never leave them home alone together I would always create the big one if we went out

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Welcome to SM!
A Year and a half ago my daughter got a golden doodle. I house & pet sit for her a lot when they go on vacation. That first year was really tough. Saddie Doodle would not leave Abella alone. She was constantly bugging Abella wanting to play with her. Abella being older and definitely out of the puppy stage wanted nothing to do with Saddie. I brought her expen and set it up at my daughters - but it was really challenging keeping them apart all the time. Fast forward a year - Now that Saddie is older and has completed several training classes it is so much easier to watch her. I can actually sit on the sofa with Abella on one side and Saddie on the other. They both sleep with me on the bed too. Saddie seems to know Abella doesn't want to play with her. I should add that Abella is a larger maltese and weighs in at just under 7 pounds. Yet when Saddie gets together with the neighbor dogs for a "play date" they play as rough & tough as you can imagine. My sister has a large German Shepherd that was trained in Germany to attack and guard their vineyard - she also hunts all wildlife that wanders onto the vineyard. I was very guarded when we introduced Abella to "Yoshie". Amazingly Yoshi is intimidated by Abella and goes to the other side of the room when Abella is present. Its really comical. How does she know Abella isn't a fluffy white squirrel? This said I would never leave the two alone together unattended. Not sure if any of this is helpful - But I thought Id share it with you.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Picture of Abella and Saddie Doodle:

IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Thanks, Maggie. So, where did you put the lab vis a vis the maltese dogs when no one was home? Haven't yet researched maltese enough, but we don't plan to crate the bernedoodle or goldendoodle as adults when we leave the house. Once fully trained, I've never crated my adult, large size dogs. I guess we could keep in different rooms/areas of the house with doors shut. Is that what you did?
The lab belonged to a friend I often vacationed with. When we left the dogs alone, ALL of the dogs were crated for their own safety.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We had a Shepard and a Maltese they were great together . The female Maltese was the alpha of course I would never leave them home alone together I would always create the big one if we went out
Thanks! Why crate the big one as opposed to the Maltese? I have never crated my large dogs once adults and I could trust them to leave the house pristine. I think doodles, in particular, hate confinement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Adorable.
Welcome to SM!
A Year and a half ago my daughter got a golden doodle. I house & pet sit for her a lot when they go on vacation. That first year was really tough. Saddie Doodle would not leave Abella alone. She was constantly bugging Abella wanting to play with her. Abella being older and definitely out of the puppy stage wanted nothing to do with Saddie. I brought her expen and set it up at my daughters - but it was really challenging keeping them apart all the time. Fast forward a year - Now that Saddie is older and has completed several training classes it is so much easier to watch her. I can actually sit on the sofa with Abella on one side and Saddie on the other. They both sleep with me on the bed too. Saddie seems to know Abella doesn't want to play with her. I should add that Abella is a larger maltese and weighs in at just under 7 pounds. Yet when Saddie gets together with the neighbor dogs for a "play date" they play as rough & tough as you can imagine. My sister has a large German Shepherd that was trained in Germany to attack and guard their vineyard - she also hunts all wildlife that wanders onto the vineyard. I was very guarded when we introduced Abella to "Yoshie". Amazingly Yoshi is intimidated by Abella and goes to the other side of the room when Abella is present. Its really comical. How does she know Abella isn't a fluffy white squirrel? This said I would never leave the two alone together unattended. Not sure if any of this is helpful - But I thought Id share it with you.
Thanks. Yes, helpful. Cute pictures!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks! Why crate the big one as opposed to the Maltese? I have never crated my large dogs once adults and I could trust them to leave the house pristine. I think doodles, in particular, hate confinement.
It was nothing malicious; believe me
Very often I left them loose on different floors
And it wasn’t for very long 2-3 hours at the most .
When my Shepard was a puppy he liked to shred blankets and fringed pillows !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to SM!
Thank you
I love that ! And needed to hear it I so appreciate You for writing

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Maltese was maybe 12 years (she was a rescue and I think she had always been around other dogs) and the Great Dane was 12 weeks. They did well from the get go.
Thanks hjg. Our golden doodle was playing so gently with the 5 lb Maltese up the street yesterday. And doing well with my sister's maltipoo. Good to see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts