Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tax people in the group? This is a first for me and it couldn't be a worse scenario for us having "proof" of deductions. They are asking for proof of Business Expenses form 2106 for '08. What we claimed was legit, but the company he worked for is now "gone"!! They sold out and are no more so we can't get records from them. To make it worse DH (you guess what the D stands for) threw away EVERYTHING that had to do with that company including all his check stubs and records. That is over $8,000 in deduction. The rest they asked for I can do.

Question is....do we need a tax accountant or tax attorney? Would it cost more to pay the help than pay the extra tax--I'm wondering. Haven't had to do this before!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Ok, per my daughter who is a CPA-Her opinion is a tax attorney can't do any more you than you can do for yourself. She suggested you go in with what records you have, and explain why you do not have missing records. She said the worst case scenario is you might have to pay additional taxes. Remember you can negotiate with IRS, and if necessary you can work out payment plan. You have nothing to hide so please don't worry.

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Ok, per my daughter who is a CPA-Her opinion is a tax attorney can't do any more you than you can do for yourself. She suggested you go in with what records you have, and explain why you do not have missing records. She said the worst case scenario is you might have to pay additional taxes. Remember you can negotiate with IRS, and if necessary you can work out payment plan. You have nothing to hide so please don't worry.
Dee, my husband is a retired tax attorney with the IRS and said the same thing as Reva's daughter. Good luck ... and, I'm sure it will be okay in the end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts