Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the estimate for the boys surgery. I am typing this directly from the estimate sheet. It seems like a lot of drugs to me. But, I have never had a dog neutered before. I realize some of these are needed.

Acepromazine 10 mg/ml inj per ml
Atropine Sulfate inj per ml
Propofol per 20ml vial
Anes. Gas/Inhalant <30lb 1/2 hr
Surgery Castration Canine
Buprenex 0.3 mg/ml (2inj)
Penicillin inj per ml
Regular Post-Op Daily Care
Elizabethan Collar size 12.5
Extractions, deciduous

What do you think? Should I be asking for a different type of medicine or is everything listed good.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Here is the estimate for the boys surgery. I am typing this directly from the estimate sheet. It seems like a lot of drugs to me. But, I have never had a dog neutered before. I realize some of these are needed.

Acepromazine 10 mg/ml inj per ml
Atropine Sulfate inj per ml
Propofol per 20ml vial
Anes. Gas/Inhalant <30lb 1/2 hr
Surgery Castration Canine
Buprenex 0.3 mg/ml (2inj)
Penicillin inj per ml
Regular Post-Op Daily Care
Elizabethan Collar size 12.5
Extractions, deciduous

What do you think? Should I be asking for a different type of medicine or is everything listed good.
Propofol is a knockdown drug used to knock the dog out so that they can intubate the dog (put the tubes down the throat and into the lungs) for anesthesia gas. Buprenex is a painkiller, penicillin is an antibiotic. I'm not sure why they are using acepromazine and atropine sulfate injections. My dogs do get a pain injection but I don't recall them ever getting an antibiotic injection ... but then I don't get a breakdown like this, just a bill saying Canine neuter < 25 lbs ...... $XXX

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Antibiotic injection or not is more vet preference for a neuter. When messing in the mouth most vets will give an antibiotic. I see teeth on there, so this may be why.
Ace is a sedative that I would not be giving to a Maltese. It is usually for pre-medication. I would just ask they use buprenex to pre-med if necessary.
I do not see an IV catheter on there. Odd to use propofol without an IV. I would never anesthetize my dog without an IV.
Atropine is used to help maintain the heart rate while the dog is under. Nothing wrong with this being on your estimate. It is pretty routine.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Antibiotic injection or not is more vet preference for a neuter. When messing in the mouth most vets will give an antibiotic. I see teeth on there, so this may be why.
Ace is a sedative that I would not be giving to a Maltese. It is usually for pre-medication. I would just ask they use buprenex to pre-med if necessary.
I do not see an IV catheter on there. Odd to use propofol without an IV. I would never anesthetize my dog without an IV.
Atropine is used to help maintain the heart rate while the dog is under. Nothing wrong with this being on your estimate. It is pretty routine.
and they don't mention what they use for anesthetic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.