Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading how these little dogs shouldn't jump off of furniture and such. Can hurt themselves. My little Lacey is such a tomboy. She leaps and flies through the air like she is superman. No problems with her jumping off of the bed or couch/chair and running. Her favorite thing to do is racetrack around the house, jump on the couch, run the length of the couch, jump off, run to the bedroom, jump on the bed, run around on top of the bed and then jump off and start again. Imagine all four legs spread out like she is trying to fly when she jumps. Should I try to curb this? She isn't a little maltese. She weighs 7 pounds and is very sturdy. No fear in her at all. I don't want her to hurt herself. She has a stool to jump on to get on and off the bed and she does use this when she isn't racetracking. I am just curious if anyone elses dog isn't a delicate little lap dog like my Lacey isn't. Oh and the vet did check her legs and knees when I have had her in for regular vet checkups and says her knees feel great. No popping or slipping she could feel using her hands. I keep telling Lacey she is suppose to be my little princess and she isn't suppose to be a tomboy, but she just doesn't listen to me...go figure!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by jami@Oct 20 2004, 10:50 PM
I keep reading how these little dogs shouldn't jump off of furniture and such.  Can hurt themselves.  My little Lacey is such a tomboy.  She leaps and flies through the air like she is superman.  No problems with her jumping off of the bed or couch/chair and running.  Her favorite thing to do is racetrack around the house, jump on the couch, run the length of the couch, jump off, run to the bedroom, jump on the bed, run around on top of the bed and then jump off and start again. Imagine all four legs spread out like she is trying to fly when she jumps.  Should I try to curb this?  She isn't a little maltese.  She weighs 7 pounds and is very sturdy.  No fear in her at all.  I don't want her to hurt herself.  She has a stool to jump on to get on and off the bed and she does use this when she isn't racetracking.  I am just curious if anyone elses dog isn't a delicate little lap dog like my Lacey isn't.  Oh and the vet did check her legs and knees when I have had her in for regular vet checkups and says her knees feel great.  No popping or slipping she could feel using her hands.  I keep telling Lacey she is suppose to be my little princess and she isn't suppose to be a tomboy, but she just doesn't listen to me...go figure!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12742
[/QUOTE]

The race-track sounds JUST like Micah - she has a figure 8 pattern worn into the carpet already - she weighs 5 pounds and is NO princess - she's all spitfire!! At least when we're alone she is, if someone comes in she suddenly becomes Miss Coy. But that will change as time goes on (I hope).

I say if the vet keeps checking then leave her be... let her have her fun! I know there is a over the counter supliment my mama gives her old Dalmation that helps with joints - I know it's done wonders for hers. I plan on talking to the vet about giving it to Micah when all is said and done - he's already told me she most likely will have joint problems based on her history.

Yours might not be a Princess but she is a DOLL :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by jami@Oct 20 2004, 09:50 PM
I keep reading how these little dogs shouldn't jump off of furniture and such.  Can hurt themselves.  My little Lacey is such a tomboy.  She leaps and flies through the air like she is superman.  No problems with her jumping off of the bed or couch/chair and running.  Her favorite thing to do is racetrack around the house, jump on the couch, run the length of the couch, jump off, run to the bedroom, jump on the bed, run around on top of the bed and then jump off and start again. Imagine all four legs spread out like she is trying to fly when she jumps.  Should I try to curb this?  She isn't a little maltese.  She weighs 7 pounds and is very sturdy.  No fear in her at all.  I don't want her to hurt herself.  She has a stool to jump on to get on and off the bed and she does use this when she isn't racetracking.  I am just curious if anyone elses dog isn't a delicate little lap dog like my Lacey isn't.  Oh and the vet did check her legs and knees when I have had her in for regular vet checkups and says her knees feel great.  No popping or slipping she could feel using her hands.  I keep telling Lacey she is suppose to be my little princess and she isn't suppose to be a tomboy, but she just doesn't listen to me...go figure!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12742
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Micahs Mama@Oct 20 2004, 10:33 PM
I say if the vet keeps checking then leave her be...  let her have her fun!  I know there is a over the counter supliment my mama gives her old Dalmation that helps with joints - I know it's done wonders for hers.  I plan on talking to the vet about giving it to Micah when all is said and done - he's already told me she most likely will have joint problems based on her history.

Yours might not be a Princess but she is a DOLL  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12749
[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me the name of the supplement for joints? Is it for dogs? ButterCloud runs around and jumps on and off stuff all the time. Maybe we need to get our babies those agility equipments. I'm hoping to get some stuff soon in the spring.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm deathly afraid of Paris injuring himself as well!

I think he was traumatized when he fell off the bed one night and has learned not to jump off anything. Couch, bed, anything.

But sometimes I can see that curiosity in his eyes, like "what if I jump..." I just tell him NO firmly and he's like "...nah, forget it."

I am looking around for vitamins/supplements for his joints. I know that little dogs like them can throw out their knees later on in life if not careful. A friend of mine has a cockapoo (sp?) and the dog weighs like 8lbs, but one day, she threw out her knees by chasing a neighbor cat down the street. The vet told her that it's just because the intense running. To make it more scary, this dog gave no signs or weak knees before this incident. So after that ordeal, I was like OKAY. Paris, you're getting supplements. Suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Can you tell me the name of the supplement for joints? Is it for dogs? ButterCloud runs around and jumps on and off stuff all the time. Maybe we need to get our babies those agility equipments. I'm hoping to get some stuff soon in the spring.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12769
[/QUOTE]

My grandma gives the supplement to her dog too. Im thinking it is glucocorticoid, I know you can get it at Petsmart, also there is food for older dogs that has a lot of glucocorticoid in it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi loves jumping on and off the couch. I don't mind her jumping off of that its the bed I worry about. My bed is really high (around 3" high) and Lexi has jumped off it a few times. I'm trying to teach her not too.

Lexi does the racetrack thing too. She loves doing it. It is so funny to watch. She does it inside, outside, at daycare, at the neighbors apartment, etc. She does seem to care were she is when she does it.

I'd say the jumping is okay as long as it's not from a tall height.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lacey takes a vitamin called NuVet. I order it online from NuVet.com. The phone number is 1-800-474-7044.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
My breeder had Brinkley and her dogs on a supplement called "Nupro"-the formula he is on is for small breed dogs. I mix it with his food. I get it at doggygifts.com. I don't know what all it helps with...but that is what we use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts