Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have been doing my critical care clinicals, and I seriously have finally found where my passion is in nursing! I LOVE IT :D I am just wondering if anyone is a critical nurse on here, and if you are, did you get the position right after graduation or later on? I am going to apply at 4 hospitals in the area I am interested in relocating to by the end of next week.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Congratulations on being a NURSE, a noble profession!! I worked Critical Care for 3 years in a small community hospital in North Carolina. It was my passion, but also my downfall....the burn out rate is very high in a CCU. I always seemed to have the problem of not being able to "detatch" from the pts. I had to constantly remind myself that I was "not a member of that family" to keep on track. Some are good at detatchment. There are cases I saw back in the mid 70's when I was there that I can STILL remember faces, names and the details of their illness/accidents and their deaths. It takes a very special person to be a nurse, and an even more special one to do CCU work. You need to learn to find that balance between empathy and sympathy.....it's hard.....I hope you find the niche you are not only passionate about but the niche that will allow you to remain on the outskirts of the cases you'll see. Thank you for choosing this profession. I wish you the best in your career....

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 4 2005, 09:29 AM
Congratulations on being a NURSE, a noble profession!!  I worked Critical Care for 3 years in a small community hospital in North Carolina.  It was my passion, but also my downfall....the burn out rate is very high in a CCU.  I always seemed to have the problem of not being able to "detatch" from the pts.  I had to constantly remind myself that I was "not a member of that family" to keep on track.  Some are good at detatchment.  There are cases I saw back in the mid 70's when I was there that I can STILL remember faces, names and the details of their illness/accidents and their deaths.  It takes a very special person to be a nurse, and an even more special one to do CCU work.  You need to learn to find that balance between empathy and sympathy.....it's hard.....I hope you find the niche you are not only passionate about but the niche that will allow you to remain on the outskirts of the cases you'll see.  Thank you for choosing this profession.  I wish you the best in your career....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33362
[/QUOTE]
Thank you!
I can definantely see how it is difficult to detatch from the pts and their family. I have liked all of my rotations, except for the OR, that just was not my thing. I like to interact with my pt more than what you are able to do as a circulating nurse. I thought I would be intimidated in the CCU by all of the tubes, machines, and state of health of the pt, but for some reason, I just absolutely love it. I really enjoy the closeness between the whole health care team, and the 1:1 or 1:2 nurse/pt ratio. I had planned on going to a med/surg floor after graduation, but now I am leaning toward the CCU. I was talking with my clinical instructor at the end of the shift yesterday and I told her that I love the CCU and really didn't think that I would. She said she can tell I love it and that I am doing an excellent job. I asked her if I could use her as a reference, and she said I could.
Thank you for your advice on trying to separate empathy and sympathy.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You're welcome!! During rotations it's funny, but you get into one specialty and the light bulb goes on and you say "yeah, THIS is what I want to do, THIS is where I want to be". You know in your gut and your heart where you belong!! I am no longer in the field, but have been at a job that I truly love now and will never leave it!! Find your Bliss and stick with it!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 4 2005, 09:44 AM
During rotations it's funny, but you get into one specialty and the light bulb goes on and you say "yeah, THIS is what I want to do, THIS is where I want to be".  You know in your gut and your heart where you belong!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33370
[/QUOTE]
Exactly!
My other rotations I thought I really liked them, but I never had the feeling I have now with CCU with any of those those. What is really strange with me, is I went into this rotation of CCU thinking, yikes just 6 weeks of all these tubes and machines-I was so scared I would harm a pt, since they are so fragile. Now I am thinking man, I wish I would have signed up for my leadership and management in the CCU (I am doing that rotation on a med surg floor). Going into nursing I seriously thought Peds, or OB would be where I would end up...never thought it would be the CCU that I hope to go! Now I just pray I can into the CCU at one of the 4 hospitals I apply for.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
At my daughter's college graduation in May (Vandy), Chancellor Gee stressed to the students that they must find their passion and go for it. Good for you for finding yours. Follow your dream.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Feb 4 2005, 09:23 AM
Okay so I have been doing my critical care clinicals, and I seriously have finally found where my passion is in nursing!  I LOVE IT :D  I am just wondering if anyone is a critical nurse on here, and if you are, did you get the position right after graduation or later on?  I am going to apply at 4 hospitals in the area I am interested in relocating to by the end of next week. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33329
[/QUOTE]

Hi!. I have heard that sometimes they/hospitals require a year of med/surg/ nursing experience after graduation, before going into an icu or ccu unit.

In school, during clinicals I always liked the NICU. Yet, I ended up working with the elderly afflictd with various types of Dementia.

The great thing about critical care is that once you have worked there you can go just about any where in the nursing field

Best of luck

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
During clinicals (back in the Pleistocene Era), I also fell in love with ICU/CCU, but those positions always required a year of med-surg first. Med-surg was not my cup of tea, so I began my career in the OR. Also did ER and Urgent Care, but ended up as a licensed nursing home administrator. Am currently the administrator of an assisted living facility for the elderly with Alzheimer's and other related dementias. Not sure how this happened.
Been in management for 11 years now, and feel like I have lost my clinical skills.

Ahhh, sure do miss those adrenalin rushes.......

Glad you found your passion! That is everything!!!!!!
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone on your comments. :D I am going to get my applications out by Monday.
Kind of nervous! I am going to put Critical Care down for my first choice and then Med Surg for my 2nd. This week for critical care I am kind of bummed, I don't have a pt, I have to go to the PACU and Cardiac Cath lab for the day. Thanks again! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts