Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My elmo is pure white with tan on his ears a nd a spot on his back,this has always been there since he was a puppy,he has the other features of a maltese,i viewed his parents and they were both purebred maltese all white,so why does he have tan markings,some people say to me he is not maltese he looks like a cross breed?1 picture in members gallery.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by alwaysbj@Mar 11 2005, 01:24 AM
My elmo is pure white with tan on his ears a nd a spot on his back,this has always been there since he was a puppy,he has the other features of a maltese,i viewed his parents and they were both purebred maltese all white,so why does he have tan markings,some people say to me he is not maltese he looks like a cross breed?1 picture in members gallery.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42055
[/QUOTE]

Light Tan or Lemon is allowed within the breed standard.

From the official AKC Maltese Breed Standard:

Coat and Color
The coat is single, that is, without undercoat. It hangs long, flat, and silky over the sides of the body almost, if not quite, to the ground. The long head-hair may be tied up in a topknot or it may be left hanging. Any suggestion of kinkiness, curliness, or woolly texture is objectionable. Color, pure white. Light tan or lemon on the ears is permissible, but not desirable.

American Kennel Club Maltese Standard Page

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww. he is cute!
Looks malt to me!!!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Elmo's a cutie!!! Peanut's ears are still a little yellowish too. Don't worry, it's normal for some malts to have as Sylphides mom said!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by mee@Mar 11 2005, 05:53 PM
my jongee had a lemon color stripe on her back when i got her at 12wks, also lemon colored ears too, but they are gone, shes one yr old now 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42064
[/QUOTE]
jong-ee reminds me of my little boy they have that cheeky look about them.........how cute.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That dosnt mean his isnt a maltese, most of the tan on Sunny went away when he got old if you compare the photo at the bottem of my post to one of his puppy photos (lots in my gallery) you can see he looked almost totally tan when he was really little...i wasnt worried about it though ever other puppy in his litter was solid white i just liked Sunny

·
Registered
660 Posts
Originally posted by mee@Mar 11 2005, 02:53 AM
my jongee had a lemon color stripe on her back when i got her at 12wks, also lemon colored ears too, but they are gone, shes one yr old now 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42064
[/QUOTE]
I love your advatar jongee is adorable!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by alwaysbj@Mar 11 2005, 05:17 PM
jong-ee reminds me of my little boy they have that cheeky look about them.........how cute.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42310
[/QUOTE]

heeheeeee THANK YOU~ im sure your baby looks super adorable tooo

Originally posted by sherylmint@Mar 11 2005, 05:17 PM
I love your advatar jongee is adorable!
i love your signature photos tooo, esp. the kissy photo of ur 2 babies, i wish i had 2 too

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Lilly521@Mar 12 2005, 11:10 PM
That dosnt mean his isnt a maltese, most of the tan on Sunny went away when he got old if you compare the photo at the bottem of my post to one of his puppy photos (lots in my gallery) you can see he looked almost totally tan when he was really little...i wasnt worried about it though ever other puppy in his litter was solid white i just liked Sunny
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42486
[/QUOTE]
all the puppy's in the litter elmo was in were white,he was the smallest and i thought the cutest because of his colouring.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Elmo looks all Maltese to me
Some tan is normal. Nibbler had tan on his ears and back as a puppy but when he was around a year and a half - he is all white.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you all for your input...................i get a bit upset when i have to correct people when they say he is not maltese.................when i purchased him i had the choice of elmo with his tan markings or a pure white puppy,my heart melted when i saw him,what some people call imperfections or not desirable i call character and individuality...............and cuteness

1 - 17 of 17 Posts