Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to my in-laws last night and Vinny used his pee pad a couple of times, but he also left little pee marks on the floor in a few spots. He doesn't lift his leg and isn't neutered yet, he is only 22 weeks. Could he be marking, they weren't his usually full pee, just little spots here and there, and they were deliberate although he is mostly paper trained.

Theresa and Vinny

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
he does seem young but it sounds like the beginings of the behavior. get him neutered when he turns 6 mo and you will hopefully prevent it from developing further! when they mark they only urinate it small amounts to save it for the rest of the house! even the best potty trained dog can still develop the marking behavior..it unfortunately has nothing to do with training, so we can't stop it. those dang hormones!!

also if he does it in ur house too...might want to think about the possibilities of a bladder infection, and bring him to your vet to have it checked out

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Please check him for a urinary tract infection with the vet. Leaking or urinating tiny amounts may indicate a urinary tract infection.

If that is not the case, next time confine him or leash him to you while you are there. Have the visit a bit more structured for him so he can succeed in his house training.

My dogs, even intact, do not mark because it is a behavior that is controllable. The hardest thing is to stop it once they develop a habit. Nip it in the bud.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, He is due to be neutered next month, our vet has concerns over his baby teeth but they are finally starting to fall out. What worries me is that about a month ago his little wee wee has started to show itself. I thought I would be safe because he doesnt lift his leg, he doesnt go outside unless I am holding him and all his doggy cousins are girls. I know he would be more of a dominate dog if it was allowed. He is my first little boy, and I really don't want to give him a chance to turn into a man.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If he is around intact bitches or intact males, he will probably learn to mark IF you let him. All of my intact males have tried to mark once, maybe twice. They get a switch correction and put on a leash in that situation. If you don't let the habit begin, you've won the battle. Also, female dogs can and do mark.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Dec 19 2004, 05:20 PM
If he is around intact bitches or intact males, he will probably learn to mark IF you let him. All of my intact males have tried to mark once, maybe twice. They get a switch correction and put on a leash in that situation. If you don't let the habit begin, you've won the battle. Also, female dogs can and do mark.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24286
[/QUOTE]

What is a "switch correction"? Just curious. Never heard of it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
How do you stop one from marking? Do you use a strong NO?

I have seen Puddles do it several times. I would say NO NO and take him outside. But I don't think its cause he needed to potty. He lifted his leg and pee a few drops on the corner of sofa. I sprayed it real good and have noticed him sniffing in that area since.

JMM you stated
"My dogs, even intact, do not mark because it is a behavior that is controllable"
Can you explain the controll process?

Thanks......

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Dec 19 2004, 08:54 PM
How do you stop one from marking?  Do you use a strong NO?

I have seen Puddles do it several times. I would say NO NO and take him outside. But I don't think its cause he needed to potty. He lifted his leg and pee a few drops on the corner of sofa.  I sprayed it real good and have noticed him sniffing in that area since.

JMM you stated
"My dogs, even intact, do not mark because it is a behavior that is controllable"
Can you explain the controll process?

Thanks......

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24313
[/QUOTE]

Is your dog neutered? I've always heard that neutering keeps the behavior from happening if neutered before it starts. I've heard that some dogs neutered after it starts will stop. However, a friend has a Maltese that started marking at 5 months and she had him neutered right away and he still marks.... I know that for sure because he came to my house and the first thing he did was spray my dining room table leg!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Typo...swift correction.

I have found this only works if it is the first time they do it and you are right there. I do a "wrath of mom" where I yell what have you done enough to get a durn good reaction out of my dog. I never raise my voice, so this is plenty for my dogs. Then, I take them outside or to their pads and reward them for going in the right place. Once I know the dog has marked, I am on their behind constantly for the next few weeks to ensure that the behavior is not repeated.

Neutering often helps, but marking is behavioral just as much as instinct. Many neutered males and spayed females mark. Neutering is a great idea.

If the dog has been doing it, I don't even bother correcting them. I prevent the behavior with leashing the dog to me and, if necessary, a belly band as well. If they begin the behavior, I interupt them with something positive, like attention exercises. When I can't do this, the dog is in a crate.

You have to break the habit and not allow them to mark. You need to reward and be there for every correct urination.

With my last adolescant border collie male (intact), he tried to mark on two separate occasions, a couple of months apart. I was right there and corrected him verbally and then rewarded him for every urination for the next few weeks. He is 2 1/2 now and does not mark. He's still intact. The terrier mix I have "joint custody" of was a huge marker. We knew it when adopting him from the shelter. The moment he came home he was leashed or crated. We did allow him to mark in one place outside and rewarded him for every urination there. With a dog that holds his urine planning to mark, this was very effective and he urinates in the same place every time now. Because he had probably marked his whole life, I did not give him any freedom for the first 6 weeks. Then, I slowly allowed supervised off leash time in the house. I still don't let him in the house loose alone, but he is trustworthy when we're home.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Dec 19 2004, 10:25 PM
Typo...swift correction.

I have found this only works if it is the first time they do it and you are right there. I do a "wrath of mom" where I yell what have you done enough to get a durn good reaction out of my dog. I never raise my voice, so this is plenty for my dogs. Then, I take them outside or to their pads and reward them for going in the right place. Once I know the dog has marked, I am on their behind constantly for the next few weeks to ensure that the behavior is not repeated.

Neutering often helps, but marking is behavioral just as much as instinct. Many neutered males and spayed females mark. Neutering is a great idea.

If the dog has been doing it, I don't even bother correcting them. I prevent the behavior with leashing the dog to me and, if necessary, a belly band as well. If they begin the behavior, I interupt them with something positive, like attention exercises. When I can't do this, the dog is in a crate.

You have to break the habit and not allow them to mark. You need to reward and be there for every correct urination. 

With my last adolescant border collie male (intact), he tried to mark on two separate occasions, a couple of months apart. I was right there and corrected him verbally and then rewarded him for every urination for the next few weeks. He is 2 1/2 now and does not mark. He's still intact. The terrier mix I have "joint custody" of was a huge marker. We knew it when adopting him from the shelter. The moment he came home he was leashed or crated. We did allow him to mark in one place outside and rewarded him for every urination there. With a dog that holds his urine planning to mark, this was very effective and he urinates in the same place every time now. Because he had probably marked his whole life, I did not give him any freedom for the first 6 weeks. Then, I slowly allowed supervised off leash time in the house. I still don't let him in the house loose alone, but he is trustworthy when we're home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24322
[/QUOTE]

LOL...makes sense now...I know Nichole has done the leashing thing with her Toby and she said it really helped her because he was having an awful time with the pottytraining.

I guess I give "swift corrections" too....because Brinkley knows when I raise my voice that he is in for it...he usually ducks tail and runs or immedietely rolls over onto his back...so he knows he is in trouble and either runs away or tries to be submissive and cute
. Luckily, he is not a BAD dog, and usually this happens when he has torn something up. The latest was my favorite Santa decoration that I put out at Christmas. Santa no longer has a beard and very little hair on his head...and no little bally on the end of his hat.
I really thought about putting it UP...but I didn't because it really needs to stand on the ground...I came home from church the other night and there was white santa fluff everywhere.

Anyway, thanks JMM for the explananation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts