Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keeko is 3 months old in 2 days and so far we haven't heard a peep out of him. I know that it will not last forever and enjoying it now while I have it. But is this normal for a Maltese to be so quiet?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by kimmie@Mar 3 2005, 11:05 PM
Keeko is 3 months old in 2 days and so far we haven't heard a peep out of him. I know that it will not last forever and enjoying it now while I have it. But is this normal for a Maltese to be so quiet?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39772
[/QUOTE]
No, it isn't normal at all. Puppies are usually very, very active and vibrant. I would have him checked out as soon as possible. Something is bothering him and you need to find out what it is. Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well it depends on ur definition of quiet. do u mean not barking? not crying at night? laying around all day? parker was a quiet pup and still is. very calm, can lay on ur lap for hours. id ur puppy weak? can she be riled up with play? if not then i would worry.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
When I first got Peanut he was 12 weeks old, and he was active, but very quiet. He only cried at night the first few nights here which was totally fine. I mean I would cry too if someone took me to a new home
He was maybe five months old the first time he barked.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Izzy is 12 weeks old and barks often during the day. She barks at the driveway alarm, she barks at the doorbell, she barks at my socks. The only time she isn't vocal is when she's crated. During tug games she is very vocal, growling, snarling, barking etc.

If your baby is very active and playful, eating well and going potty but just doesn't bark then I wouldn't worry. It might just mean he's not going to be a yapper.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ellie used to not bark........but now she'll wake up at 1 am every now and then and freak out barking

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Ruby Jean was very quiet at 12 weeks-she is a very shy girl so she's not overly active or anything but she does have her moments of racing around and barking and having a good ol time-it just took her a little longer I think. You should probably check it out though just in case!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Argh sorry I didnt explain myself very well. I meant he doesnt bark at all. He plays very energetically with his brother (2 year old Pap) but apart from the odd squeak if Mishka gets a bit rough , not a sound. He is a very laid back wee man as far as grooming goes. And toilets outside the moment he is put down.
He is due for his 3 month innoculations next week so will check with the vet. Thankyou all for your imput

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by kimmie@Mar 4 2005, 03:14 AM
Argh sorry I didnt explain myself very well. I meant he doesnt bark at all. He plays very energetically with his brother (2 year old Pap) but apart from the odd squeak if Mishka gets a bit rough , not a sound. He is a very laid back wee man as far as grooming goes.  And toilets outside the moment he is put down.
He is due for his 3 month innoculations next week so will check with the vet. Thankyou all for your imput

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39798
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you just have a great pup!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Argh sorry I didnt explain myself very well. I meant he doesnt bark at all. He plays very energetically with his brother (2 year old Pap) but apart from the odd squeak if Mishka gets a bit rough , not a sound. He is a very laid back wee man as far as grooming goes.  And toilets outside the moment he is put down.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I am so glad to hear that you just meant he wasn't barking! I have to say that I went to bed worried about him!! I should have asked what "quiet" meant... I thought you meant he was lethargic.

Catcher, my nine-month-old, didn't start barking until he was several months old.... like yours... not a peep out of him... he would whine if he wanted out of his crate, etc. but not a real bark. He still barks very seldomly.

Glad that's all this was about!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Caesar was very quiet too, still is for the most part. It used to be so exciting ot hear him bark when he was younger, and it was such a quiet little bark, now he barks at anything unusal outside, or anyone walking by the car if we are in the car. He has always been active, but sound wise, yes he was quiet, and he is 1yr old now and not as quiet, growls everytime we play tug of war
, and nothing is wrong with him.
I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Mar 4 2005, 09:26 AM
Tini who is 8 months old today, didn't start barking until last weekend. She just kind of mad a noise, scared herself, and stopped
. She found her inner bark though and has started to make up for lost time... 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39817
[/QUOTE]
Peanut did that too. He was on the table at the vet and he just let out his first bark and then he froze. It was so cute, he looked like he was thinking "what the ..., how'd I do that?!?!"

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Mar 4 2005, 07:02 AM
Caesar was very quiet too, still is for the most part. It used to be so exciting ot hear him bark when he was younger, and it was such a quiet little bark, now he barks at anything unusal outside, or anyone walking by the car if we are in the car.  He has always been active, but sound wise, yes he was quiet, and he is 1yr old now and not as quiet, growls everytime we play tug of war
, and nothing is wrong with him.
I wouldnt worry about it.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39807
[/QUOTE]

Caesar sounds just like my babies!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I remember a thread on another board in which the members were talking about how quiet (as in nonbarking) their babies were. Not mine!!! Shrek sounds the alarm everytime someone moves...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah well sounds like I had better sit back and enjoy the quiet while we still have it then. LOL his brother makes enuff noise for two dogs.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts

[/QUOTE]
all i have to say is.... ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN!

Kodie was like that until he hit alittle over 1yr old....and then it was DOWN HILL... he started to BARK and CRY!
Before that point he never made a sound... except a few cries cause he wanted me to hold him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts