Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i can understnad that puppies are easy distracted but Sunny can get distractedf romo anything, even going to the bathroom! He will be like eating or playing or something and the littlest thing can happen like someone changes the channel on the tv or turns a light on or off and he will turn away from what he is doing turn back to it and have totaly forgotten what he was doing, its really frustrating for me with things like eating and going potty in the right place but if i try to praise him he will stop and then not remember what he was doing i tried praising him after the fact but i dont feel like it is as effective. Is this prefectly normal and i am over reacting or is there something i can do about this?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
That sounds like normal puppy behavor to me. Your puppy is still really young so he wants to explorer everything. Lexi was like that too. She was so curious about everything. She has to check out everything. Just be patient he will get better once he settles in more and gets used to things. As for feeding you can try feeding him in areas were there are less distractions.

If you are really concerned about it call your vet, but it sounds like normal puppy behavor. Try giving it a few more weeks and see if he is better. Don't expect a major change over night but try comparing how he is in 2 weeks to how was today. I bet you will see an improvement.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy was like that as a puppy.. and to an extent he still is.. I have to make sure not to bother him while he is going potty otherwise he'll forget what he was doing and run back to me, if he even sees me looking at him he'll stop what he's doing. I wouldn't be too worried, your puppy is still getting used to his new home and will probably be a little scatter brained for a while. He'll eventually remember that he needed to potty or eat, so just give him some time to get used to all the sounds and smells and distractions.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ellie must have ADD too. i tell cynthia that we need to buy her a mini helmet...ellie acts a little retarded

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright i pretty much thought it was normal puppy stuff but i wanted to do a double check right now i am usually the only one in the room when he is eating which is good i guess i just feel bad for him sometimes becasue he gets so confused sometimes lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i learned that dogs usually have very short attention..my trainer told me that dogs usually forget what they were doing after 5 min.. even if u give a timeout,it shouldnt be too long..she recommmended giving time out for 10 seconds..otherwise if its longer the dog will forget why she got timeout and just be frustrated and sad that he/she is getting the timeout..

and plus ur baby is still a baby :D its normal to be curious of everything and be distracted by everything!
:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts