Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both breeders that I've been in contact with have informed me that they only feed their pups dry food. I thought, for some reason, that pups need both dry and wet. I'm concerned b/c for one, if they're teething, how can they eat??

Confused One
*my new signature* :lol:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Dry food only is fine. Dry food actually helps the teething process. If they do have a problem eating while they are teething, then you can soak the kibble in warm water to let it soften.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
I feed dry feed, my females expecting an after they have thier young ins get canned feed but that is the only time I feed canned feed. Don't get me wrong they get there snacks faithfully I might fix a big pot of chicken an noodles, rice but they have snacks every day. I treat my kids just Like I would want to be treated
Teaco

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Bella and Harley eat dry food and treats, but no wet food, and they're doing great. Harley's teething right now, but she loves her food and actually eats the big bites first. Bella doesn't like wet food, so I never worried about it with her. I think if you find a healthy dry food that they like, its fine, and the crunching helps keep tartar from building up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think one of the reasons people like the combination of wet and dry is because dry is good for teeth and good in general, but wet food has a high moisture content and all dogs need a lot of water because of drooling, exercise, etc. I think a good idea (and also a nice treat!) would be to mix some wet or semi-wet food in with the dry food, although this can sometimes cause some staining in their "beards"!!

Hope that helps a little!

Mallory & Chilly

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Bijou was eating Red Barn Beef without a problem, but he would eventually eat the hard Solid Gold Puppy Food. I tried adding warm water to the kibble and he has gained weight in the last week. He is up to 4 lbs. now and I feel better about his exploratory neutering surgery tomorrow. He only weighed 3 1/2 lbs. and I was afraid that he would loose weight after surgery.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Indy only eats dry food, it has been that way since we brought him home. I tried adding a bit of water to his food in the beginning and he wouldn't eat it. If even a piece gets a tiny bit moist he will put it aside and continue on eating. He has been through the worst of his teething and did very well eating, and in a way I think it helped him with some of his loose teeth as far as helping them fall out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts